Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Don't be so naive. No one is serious (I hope). It's just used as a bargaining chip like it's been used a few times before.

I think many folks on this thread are serious and despite still having hopes for Model X in future iterations, are choosing the Volvo now.

I'd hate to go back to a PHEV and hear the ICE turn on again :-/ but it's better than a full ICE on most driving patterns

I haven't test driven the XC90 T8 yet, but I think it's worth noting that I've driven the Outlander PHEV and the acceleration is so much weaker than a Tesla that I think it's a huge sacrifice. Even considerably weaker than a Leaf or Zoe, iirc. Just one of many factors, and may not matter to some, but it is hard to compare these PHEVs with pure electrics on drive quality -- not even accounting for other factors.

I think many folks on this thread are serious and despite still having hopes for Model X in future iterations, are choosing the Volvo now.

I'd hate to go back to a PHEV and hear the ICE turn on again :-/ but it's better than a full ICE on most driving patterns

To me any car with an ICE is an ICE car. Anyway I can't stop people from doing anything but I would still buy the X even if Tesla just put stools in the second row. That said I do think the pedestal seat is one of the greatest things in a car and I'm sure I and my passengers will appreciate it.

I went and looked at this vehicle. It is beautiful. It's definitely my close second choice at this point. Leather feels great, screen works well, wood inlay is amazing. I'm also torn about the "hybrid", with the annoyance of lugging the ICE around, vs not worrying about charging on trips. The e range would cover half my commute. Tough choices. Still leaning towards X, despite the unknowns and higher price etc.

If you're concerned about the ICE for performance reasons at all, I'd really recommend test driving it or something similar before buying. I've been a proponent of PHEVs for years, but they are certainly not BEVs. I recently test drove an Audi A3 e-tron right after a Renault Zoe, and I was hugely disappointed in the drive quality of the e-tron... which was supposed to be much better. Was also disappointed in the drive quality of the Outlander PHEV... though it was surely better than any pure gas SUV.

Using the gas is something that would annoy me, but it's not just about using gas -- the drive quality is considerably different (i.e., worse). And compared to a Tesla... not even the same league, imho.

Last edited:
I haven't test driven the XC90 T8 yet, but I think it's worth noting that I've driven the Outlander PHEV and the acceleration is so much weaker than a Tesla that I think it's a huge sacrifice. Even considerably weaker than a Leaf or Zoe, iirc. Just one of many factors, and may not matter to some, but it is hard to compare these PHEVs with pure electrics on drive quality -- not even accounting for other factors.

You certainly could've done more research.

The Nissan Leaf does 0-60 in 10.2 seconds in Car and Driver test. The Outlander PHEV officially does 0-60 in 11 seconds with 200bhp.

The Volvo does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with 400hp. Volvo even claimed that it accelerates faster then Model S 85 as mentioned earlier.

This does not matter to everyone, but it does not seem PHEV's allow performance car (or even average) acceleration AND zero emissions at the same time. A BEV like a Tesla simply offers a combination of strengths other drivetrains cannot.

And it's not even about offering "performance car," as it loses the awesome powerful and smooth acceleration of a pure EV. It doesn't feel "performance."

The Nissan Leaf does 0-60 in 10.2 seconds in Car and Driver test. The Outlander PHEV officially does 0-60 in 11 seconds with 200bhp.

The Volvo does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with 400hp. Volvo even claimed that it accelerates faster then Model S 85 as mentioned earlier.

In electric only 'mode' XC90 will probably take close to 20 seconds, if not more, to go from 0-60.

Yes, very true. It' almost 3am here and I was lazy looking up/sharing the numbers.

But reiterating my point, the A3 e-tron acceleration (7.6 seconds) felt like total crap compared to the Zoe I drove ~30 minutes earlier (8.2 seconds). The e-tron was supposedly better but felt much worse. I just recommend that anyone considering the XC90 T8 (or any PHEV) test drive it first, or at least get a good sense of how PHEVs feel vs pure BEVs.

I do think the XC90 T8 is a very good-looking vehicle. I'm sure I will write a lot of nice things about it. I imagine I will recommend it to people who are sure they don't want a Model X for one reason or another, but I will *strongly* recommend test driving and getting a good sense for the differences in acceleration they'd experience on a regular basis.

And, of course, consider how willing you are to visit the gas station again on a regular basis....

According to EURO NCAP, the XC90 is superior in every category. Both are 5 stars, but you still have significantly better ratings on the XC90. Stop using pictures to judge a vehicles safety.

Official Volvo XC90 2015safety rating results
Euro NCAP | Car Details

It's unfortunate the Model S is still waiting on automatic emergency braking and other tech safety features. Tesla is trying to innovate with these bio-weapon filters and "sculptured" non-folding seats, but can't get the core necessities working.

Both of these are great vehicles, but need to decide which fit your needs. Model X was expected by many to be better in this regard.

You're absolute that we still receive our $6000 state credit on our taxes even when purchasing used? This may sway me to look at used Model S' rather than wait for my Model X "70D" option for another year...Thanks for the info. Also would you be able to provide me with your tax contact you use to file every year in a personal message? I need someone who understands EV incentives. Thanks!

Colorado's Electric-Car Credit: Applies To Used Cars Too

XC90 T8 Buyer Beware

And, of course, consider how willing you are to visit the gas station again on a regular basis....

Funny you said that, because that happens to be quite relevant to the XC90 T8 PHEV.

I was look at the XC90 Brochure and unlike the T6 which has a 71L/18.8 gallon fuel tank, the T8 PHEV version has a tiny 50L/13.2 gallon tank.

That is down right pathetic and I can see that being a deal breaker to people.

There are a lot of people that are happy with the Model X? There are many who aren't. If you are happy and not interested in cross shopping, why enter a thread on that topic to shake your head at those in it?

Funny you said that, because that happens to be quite relevant to the XC90 T8 PHEV.

I was look at the XC90 Brochure and unlike the T6 which has a 71L/18.8 gallon fuel tank, the T8 PHEV version has a tiny 50L/13.2 gallon tank.

That is down right pathetic and I can see that being a deal breaker to people.

I didn't notice the small tank...seems like the T8 might not get much more than 300 miles per tank, on road trip. Ouch.

According to EURO NCAP, the XC90 is superior in every category. Both are 5 stars, but you still have significantly better ratings on the XC90. Stop using pictures to judge a vehicles safety.

Official Volvo XC90 2015safety rating results
Euro NCAP | Car Details

It's unfortunate the Model S is still waiting on automatic emergency braking and other tech safety features. Tesla is trying to innovate with these bio-weapon filters and "sculptured" non-folding seats, but can't get the core necessities working.

Both of these are great vehicles, but need to decide which fit your needs. Model X was expected by many to be better in this regard.

For obvious reasons, this is a hilarious post. This is what happens when you make comments on which you really know nothing about. Embarrassing.