Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parallel XC 90 T8 vs. X Thread Started in "Swedespeed.com" :)

great write-up, AdamSM!

I was bored late last night so I joined and posted my quick comparison in the Volvo forum to give the people who have been obsessed waiting for the XC 90 a chance to chime in from their perspective:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?238403-XC-90-T8-vs-Tesla-Model-X-CUV-SUV

So far, there are 42 responses. One wrote "best first post". Another, @goVolvo, said they thought I was "maybe a volunteer marketing person for Tesla". :biggrin: @P50GT, who claimed to have worked for TSLA, wrote: "They do not work for Tesla.", and made the ridiculous claim: "I am familiar with this person from my time at Tesla. They were a thorn in the Tesla's team's side as well." I really got a laugh out of that one!! Maybe canceling a $5K Model S reservation and reserving the X counts as "being a thorn"?? Posting 2D/3D walkaround videos of the Model X Prototype on Youtube must have really upset the "team", too, not to mention the 25+ videos from the Launch Event.

Anyway, I did learn that Volvo has plans to build a US assembly plant, so they get points for that.

great write-up, AdamSM!

I was bored late last night so I joined and posted my quick comparison in the Volvo forum to give the people who have been obsessed waiting for the XC 90 a chance to chime in from their perspective:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?238403-XC-90-T8-vs-Tesla-Model-X-CUV-SUV

So far, there are 42 responses. One wrote "best first post". Another, @goVolvo, said they thought I was "maybe a volunteer marketing person for Tesla". :biggrin: @P50GT, who claimed to have worked for TSLA, wrote: "They do not work for Tesla.", and made the ridiculous claim: "I am familiar with this person from my time at Tesla. They were a thorn in the Tesla's team's side as well." I really got a laugh out of that one!! Maybe canceling a $5K Model S reservation and reserving the X counts as "being a thorn"?? Posting 2D/3D walkaround videos of the Model X Prototype on Youtube must have really upset the "team", too, not to mention the 25+ videos from the Launch Event.

Anyway, I did learn that Volvo has plans to build a US assembly plant, so they get points for that.

I used to be on SwedeSpeed all the time but quit cold turkey when the 70D was announced last April. I just checked out your thread and a few others and it's interesting how there is a former Tesla employee on there who owns a Volvo. He's posted several message over the past months about the X and I think some of them contain information that I don't think was available here yet. Interesting how I might be able to learn more about the X on a Volvo forum than I can on the Tesla forums!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here or on the Volvo site expressed concerns over the T8 engine reliability? It's pushing a lot of power out of a small displacement, and twin charging is obviously more complex to do than turbo or supercharging alone. Are there even any vehicles currently on the road that do this?

great write-up, AdamSM!

Wow!! Thanks. I really enjoyed reading that thread. @P50GT is a cool guy. He really worked hard to defend X there and I found his points logical.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here or on the Volvo site expressed concerns over the T8 engine reliability? It's pushing a lot of power out of a small displacement, and twin charging is obviously more complex to do than turbo or supercharging alone. Are there even any vehicles currently on the road that do this?

It is definitely a concern, but no worse than an out of warranty Tesla.

First, addressing the displacement issue. Mistubishi Evo and Subaru STi (JDM spec) have been pushing 300hp out of a 2L for nearly a decade. GM, Hyundai and VW also have high output 2.0L engines making 275+ horsepower. Mercedes makes a 2.0L that is now pushing 375hp (up from 355hp) in the AMG 45 line.

As to the supercharger (not the Tesla kinda) and turbo combination. The concept is very similar to sequential turbocharging that can be found in the Toyota Supra and Porsche 959. More recently BMW M550d xDrive uses a tri-turbo setup with 2 small turbos and 1 large turbo.

What volvo did was to simply replace the small faster spooling turbo in the sequential setup with a supercharger. It's not that complicated, nor is it pushing the limit of current 2.0L displacement engines.

I followed the XC90 really closely before it was unveiled. Then I saw the pitiful 10 cubic feet of cargo room behind the third row. It definitely won't work for our family of 7. Although I'm not sure the Model X is big enough either. (When is Tesla going to actually release the specs???) I think there is a bit more than 10 cu ft at the back especially since there is area that drops down. Our Sienna has 40cu ft behind the third row, the only thing that comes close to that in SUV land is a extended Yukon/Suburban/Escallade.

Our Model S with the third row does just fine for trips around town etc. For our 2nd family vehicle I think I'll probably have to stick with minivans, or if we end up going on a lot of trips etc. a diesel Sprinter might end up being the vehicle of choice.

I followed the XC90 really closely before it was unveiled. Then I saw the pitiful 10 cubic feet of cargo room behind the third row. It definitely won't work for our family of 7. Although I'm not sure the Model X is big enough either. (When is Tesla going to actually release the specs???) I think there is a bit more than 10 cu ft at the back especially since there is area that drops down. Our Sienna has 40cu ft behind the third row, the only thing that comes close to that in SUV land is a extended Yukon/Suburban/Escallade.

Did you forget the frunk?

I think way too many people here are taking this as an actual comparison. There is no debate that the Model X outperforms the XC90 on most/all fronts. It's just hard to justify two $120k cars (eg if you already own a P85D) in a household sometimes. So you've got to look for an alternative with the least compromises...

This is what ultimately led us to place an order for a 2016 XC90 T6, which should be here in two to three weeks. The new XC90's technology features, while it doesn't have Tesla's all electric drivetrain, are just as good and arguably better in some instances. There were far too many compromises made in the T8 (and a LOT of extra complexity) to justify the significant price premium so I ruled out that option very quickly.

We still have an X on order and plan on reevaluating once they hit showrooms but, as I currently see it, spending an extra 60% for the Model X will be very difficult to justify.

No SW updates...
The new XC90 have the capability to download new SW OTA. If Volvo ever does that? Noone knows...

- - - Updated - - -

To anyone considering cross-shopping the XC90 T8 plug-in hybrid with the Model X, I would highly recommend you test drive both a Volvo with a 4 cylinder start-stop engine and a Model S (since the X isn't available for test drives yet) to comapre the engine/motor experience.

I have a Model S, my wife has an XC60 with a V6 engine. I find her car quite nice, and that engine smooth and pleasant.

However, I recently drove a Volvo service loaner with a 4 cylinder start-stop, hybrid engine and I thought it was terrible.

Rough, lots of vibration, the whole car shuddered whenever it sprung back to life when lifting off the brake at a stoplight. Absolutely annoying. Nothing remotely like the totally smooth, quiet, Bentley V12-like experience of the Model S/X drivetrain.

No way I'd pay $80,000 for a car with a 4 cylinder engine, even if I was willing to accept buying another car with an ICE.

If I'm not mistaken, the new XC90 is so far the only vehicle to get the new engine family from Volvo. The old ones sometimes have engines "inherited" from some Ford models (since Ford owned Volvo for a long time). Or some other older type engines.

We still have an X on order and plan on reevaluating once they hit showrooms but, as I currently see it, spending an extra 60% for the Model X will be very difficult to justify.

It would come down to caring more about efficiency, performance, emissions, and safety (though the Volvo is going to be close enough). For us, the XC90 isn't efficient enough, full stop. Any other positives are rendered moot by that single point.

I'm sure the Volvo will make a fine car for many, however.

XC90 Up & Close

So, I went to check out the XC90 and frankly was a bit let down by it. Don't get me wrong overall it is a good SUV, however...

• The supposedly gorgeous leather wrapped keys doesn't seem to hold up well for daily wear and tear. There were already some cuts on the key they gave me.

• The interior is comparable to Tesla, but the napa leather wasn't as soft or premium feel as I had expected.

• The T6 non-hybrid driving experience was okay, pretty smooth for ICE. Decent power, but nothing insane or ludicrous.

• The brake was shocking soft and was not confidence inspiring at all. Maybe just me not being used to the feel and modulation.

• The advanced driving assistant functions do work but does not seem to integrate well with the Head Up Display

• In the HUD, there is no BLIS information, no lane keeping assist status (as in whether the car detects/sees the lane marking lines)

• The distance setting in the adaptive cruise is not constantly display in the HUD, a vital piece of information in my opinion.

• The B&W sound system is crystal clear, but lacks a bit in the low end

The Model X is still the top choice for me. Having said that, I am still disappointed at Telsa, but in a my kid brought home the gold medal but crazy parent is angry at her for not break the world record kinda way.

Last edited:
To Swedish Advocate, Yggdrasil, and anyone else interested in Large Animal Collisions:

From my own experience :eek: and that of many others in Moose Country, I have exactly ZERO confidence that there will be any statistical difference* between the effect of a moose collision with a vehicle that has the Model X windshield versus one with any other windshield. That just not the way things work, for better or worse.

*Other than in the pocketbook. My, replacing that windshield is gonna hurt! But that's not the issue at hand.

I moved my long post comparing Model X BEV to Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-In Hybrid from the X Sig cancel thread here where it belongs:

Full disclosure: TSLA stockholder since 2012. Own no stock in Volvo's parent holding company.

Volvo is owned by Chinese-automaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, aka Geely [source: Wikipedia.org]

Personally, as an American citizen, I would buy a Tesla before I would EVER even consider buying a product from a company that is owned by a Chinese firm. It's nothing personal. In fact, my wife is Taiwanese-American. I spent 3 weeks in China this past May touring the country. I had a great time except the major cities are so polluted I wondered how anybody can live there.

IMHO, Americans need to support our American economy and American manufacturing jobs. Geely has already started exporting Chinese-made Volvos to the USA:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/asia/shanghai-auto-show-volvo/

They don't manufacture anything in the USA:

http://www.ask.com/business-finance/volvos-manufactured-a01f671a0263da62

unlike 10 other non-US brands:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_assembly_plants_in_the_United_States

I've bought and leased Mercedes SUVs that are built in Vance, Alabama.

Out of curiosity, I checked out this Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid.

Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-In Hybrid Compared to Model X Pure BEV:

• T8 has a 400 hp 2.0 liter direct-injected turbo & supercharged internal combustion engine I certainly don't want polluting the environment whenever it kicks in. Nor do I want to have to go to a gas station to fill it up, or pay the dealer to service it.
  • Both can tow 5,000 lbs.
  • T8 electric-only range is 25 miles which is a joke, and it also says "save mode allows for optimal charge of battery while driving ensuring battery energy level provides about 12 miles of pure electric driving". Impressed! (not) X P90D range is 250 EPA, while 90D is 257.
  • T8 has Start/Stop Tech to turn off engine at traffic lights so you don't pollute the environment when you're not going anywhere. So does my Mercedes. ICE desperation!
  • T8 has Air Suspension option, but no GPS-based automation like the X.
  • T8 Interior Air Quality System (IAQS) "removes 70% of fine dust", and they also "vent out emissions before drivers enter". The X doesn't have any "emissions" to vent out, and Elon said they could not detect anything inside the X cabin with their system: "it is almost like a hospital operating room".
  • T8 has "Roll(over) Stability Control (RSC)" which I'm sure they need since they don't have the X's very low center of gravity
  • T6 EPA is 20 (City)/25 (Highway)/22 (Combined). X 90D is 90 (City)/94 (Highway)/92 (Combined). X P90D is 89 (City)/90 (Highway)/89 (Combined).
  • I didn't see any published T8 safety ratings?
  • T8 0-60 mph: 5.9 sec. X 90D: 4.8 sec. X P90D: 3.8 sec., 3.2 sec. with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
  • T8 is missing many other X features that are too numerous to list here. Are there any XC90 T8 features missing from the X?

Volvo XC90 T8 base price is less expensive, but like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

This vehicle will be minor competition for the X, which I believe will eat Benz ML, GL; BMW X5, X6; Lexus RX/GX/LX; and Audi Q7's lunch. On Tues. night, I felt lucky to watch Elon's presentation standing right next to GeorgeB. He said (paraphrasing): "I know those guys in Germany and Japan are watching this right now and they are very, very unhappy." [and then he smiled]

That said, as a TSLA stockholder since 2012 :biggrin:, I hope they come to their senses and offer a folding second row seat option while they still have this long reservation queue so they can address this important use case that seems quite significant judging from TMC posts.

I didn't know about the underlined above.
That, by itself, immediately crossed it off my list.