Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Volvo XC90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my wife said she wanted to wait an additional year, so instead of 2016, we will be replacing her car in the 2nd half of 2017. That will likely make Model X an easier choice as the superchargers should be everywhere we want to go by then.

The charging holes for the next few years in the map is why we are going to wait on an X for now too. But our Pilot is now 12 years old so we are going to replace it, then re-evaluate the X in a couple of years.

The charging holes for the next few years in the map is why we are going to wait on an X for now too. But our Pilot is now 12 years old so we are going to replace it, then re-evaluate the X in a couple of years.

My wife's Saab 9-5 Wagon is a 2004 model, about the same vintage, but has only about 110k miles on it and is in pretty good shape. I will probably get the car a deep detailing to make the wait less painful.

If you're concerned about the ICE for performance reasons at all, I'd really recommend test driving it or something similar before buying. I've been a proponent of PHEVs for years, but they are certainly not BEVs. I recently test drove an Audi A3 e-tron right after a Renault Zoe, and I was hugely disappointed in the drive quality of the e-tron... which was supposed to be much better. Was also disappointed in the drive quality of the Outlander PHEV... though it was surely better than any pure gas SUV.

Using the gas is something that would annoy me, but it's not just about using gas -- the drive quality is considerably different (i.e., worse). And compared to a Tesla... not even the same league, imho.

This also gets into the “EREV” debate, where full electric performance is more the goal. Along the same lines as this A3 e-tron test drive experience, I wonder what reports would be like if Audi’s Q7 PHEV ever shows up (2.0ltr gas + electric)? It has about the same battery size as the Volt. Relative to the OP’s XC90, that’s almost twice the storage. So, it should do well in comparison, but not necessarily because of the extra weight and appetite VWG’s electric drive trains have on batteries (tending toward low AER/KWH).

If I had to come up with one, just one, thing VWG could do to demonstrate turning a new leaf, it would be to release the Q7 PHEV. It may have happened to little fanfare, but I don’t think they had anything closer in the pipeline that could have been accelerated. This car, and perhaps GM’s CT6 PHEV, could be getting a delay on cheap gas..

Just to say thanks to the OP of this thread and others pitching in with facts - was seriously considering XC90 T8 (fantastic car, looks great, super comfortable, full of tech... test drove the top spec Diesel) but coming from a 4WD TDI SUV with a 100 litre tank (ca 26 US gallons), the XC90 with duo 2WD (electric back, petrol front) and a 50 litre petrol tank (HALF, "to make space for the battery") just doesn't cut it for me. So I too put a deposit down to join the X queue.

Just to say thanks to the OP of this thread and others pitching in with facts - was seriously considering XC90 T8 (fantastic car, looks great, super comfortable, full of tech... test drove the top spec Diesel) but coming from a 4WD TDI SUV with a 100 litre tank (ca 26 US gallons), the XC90 with duo 2WD (electric back, petrol front) and a 50 litre petrol tank (HALF, "to make space for the battery") just doesn't cut it for me. So I too put a deposit down to join the X queue.

Ya, the XC90 is a great looking vehicle. If the X would have had the space and looked like the XC90, I probably would have went into the X queue instead of having a S on order.

I recently cancelled my MX reservation and have looked into the XC90. It is free to sign up for A plan pricing, but the XC90 is not eligible at this time. Volvo seems a little stingy with what models are included.

Cancellation want really anything specific, it's just my commute is a lot shorter than it used to be, and the supercharger build out in my area is a little slow. I really hope we will eventually be Tesla owners.

Just finished watching the MotorTrend live stream of the 2016 'of the Year' awards (don't get me started on how bad Adam Carolla was as the host), and the XC90 took the golden calipers home for the SUV category (Colorado for the Truck and Camaro for the Car in case anyone was wondering).

Nice write-up on the XC90...I'm sure once journalists get their hands on the X, they'll be formal comparison tests between the two (this award was based primarily on the T6 variation rather than the T8 plug-in hybrid). It also seems like Volvo came close to Tesla's interface with the new Sensus system.

2016 Volvo XC90 is the 2016 Motor Trend SUV of the Year

Here's what MT said about XC90:

That safety mission is the source of our one and only real criticism of the XC90. Its autonomous safety functions are a bit too aggressive, the lane keep assistant interfering constantly and the automatic braking prone to hallucinations. It falsed several times, slamming the brakes for no reason with what Loh described as “coffee-spilling, baby-crying, nose-diving, embarrassing force.”

Just got a T6 over the weekend. Couldn't justify paying double for a Model X and already have a Model S. In 3 years when the lease is done, maybe things will be different.

The XC90 replaces the minivan, so it is a huge improvement there. Without getting into a full review, I got the ICE T6 instead of the T8 for the reasons already stated above as to how the electrical power is being apportioned, extra weight, price, etc. The styling inside and out, I find, is ultra sophisticated and modern. Interior space is pretty huge, which you can't tell from the outside. I have the coil suspension and think it does just fine in suburban roads with great comfort and handling. Because of the small 4-cylinder engine (super and turbo-charged), this is a light SUV and find the lack of huge weight transfer on cornering to be refreshing compared even to my Model S. Of course, performance of the T6 is good compared to even V6s, but cannot be in any conversation with a Tesla. The Sensus system is a nice second best to Tesla's.

Overall, I'm happy: we have a stylish, capable, family hauler; the wife and kids are cocooned. I stopped short of going full-on green again, but hey, I gained about 3 mpg compared to the minivan [emoji12].

One thing my wife pointed out to me: if you're in California, the XC90 T8 might not be eligible for green carpool lane stickers (if any are even left), whereas the Model X will be eligible for the white carpool lane stickers (which will still be available). One more small bit of data to consider...

The XC90 just was awarded Motor Trend SUV of the year. The X was not considered this year, but hopefully for next year it will be in the running and give Tesla another MT award! As stated previously, we cancelled our X reservation due to the current and projected lack of superchargers in certain areas in the middle of the US, and our XC90 T8 is scheduled for delivery in December. But, as the supercharger network is built out over the next few years, we will again look at an X.

I canceled my X reservation last week. I have come to terms that spending ~100k is just too crazy for a middle class person like my self. I'll be getting the XC90 most likely. I'll be putting down 2k for the overseas delivery program, and will get the car in about 6 months. For those of you who don't know... you can get most Volvo's at a discount, get two free round trip tickets, 1 night free hotel stay, a few weeks of international insurance, pickup the car in Sweden and free delivery back home. It is a fantastic offer and I will have plenty of money leftover for all the hotel stays during the euroean roadtrip.

The XC90 is a nice vehicle. But once you drive electric, it's almost impossible to go back. Every time I drive my gas powered vehicles it's so apparent how archaic using fossil fuel exploding mechanical pistons up and down and shifting up and down gears is..