Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X w/AutoPilot Cracked Windshield Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The windshield on my Model X took a rock to the windshield directly in front of the driver and spread into a foot long crack. I contacted the Dedham SC and they said New England SC's don't currently perform glass replacement. The insurance company recommends Safelite, but a previous windshield replacement Safelite performed for me required a second windshield replacement and left glass all over the car. I couldn't find a local recommendation here on TMC.

I ultimately took my Model X to Today's Collision in Malden, MA for my windshield replacement. The glass was ordered from Tesla and I received status updates on the parts directly from Tesla. Today's Collision replaced the windshield quickly and correctly the first time. There was no damage to the vehicle and the windshield looks factory new. The interior was thoroughly cleaned and I couldn't find any trace of glass. The cameras on the windshield were remounted and autopilot was fully functional when I picked up the vehicle. They even charged my Model X for me. I thought I'd leave their contact information here in case anyone else in New England is in a similar situation.

Today's Collision
375 Washington St
Malden, MA 02148

• Informative
Reactions: EdA
Nice you got it worked out!

I had a similar problem with Safelite when replacing a windshield for a 2005 MB SLK 350. You'd think that's a fairly common windshield. But it took Safelite THREE TRIES to find and install the right windshield. The problem was that my car was the "Sport" edition (which they knew) which had a every so slightly different windshield.

The first two windshields they installed actually fit fine into the car frame, but the interior trim did not line up correctly. Each time I had to take it back and they had to scrap the glass and start over. Luckily it was 100% on their dime. I think their internal computer system couldn't differentiate the "Sport" edition from the non-sport edition and the warehouse kept sending the wrong glass. I think on the third try they finally went to a MB dealer to just buy the correct OEM glass.

Otherwise, I've had good experience with Safilte with several other cars.

In the summer of 2019 I had a minor collision in my Model 3 and chose Today's Collision for the repair. They were one of the few Tesla-certified body shops in New England. They specialize in luxury brands and do top-notch work. They're expensive, but worth it. I highly recommend them.

Reviving this thread. I have a footlong crack on the passenger side of my Model Y windshield, from a small branch that fell during the big storm a few weeks ago.

Spoke to my insurer (Travelers) who will cover it with no deductible. They have a deal with Safelight to handle it with no payment or paperwork, but then told me that it will still need to be calibrated by Tesla afterwards. So I'm thinking it should be easier just to go to Tesla, even if I will have to pay and get reimbursed by Travelers.

I hadn't thought of going to Today's, who have done great work on my Model X and my son's Model 3.

Do New England SCs still not do glass? I normally use Watertown.

Thanks in advance for advice.

There is a simple procedure for calibration, I don't think you need to go to Tesla to do it, just look in the menus.
I just had a chip fixed by Safelite last week, they did that it my driveway and you can hardly notice it. They did a rear window for me about 25 years ago, also in my driveway.

Reactions: kayak1
Reviving this thread. I have a footlong crack on the passenger side of my Model Y windshield, from a small branch that fell during the big storm a few weeks ago.

Spoke to my insurer (Travelers) who will cover it with no deductible. They have a deal with Safelight to handle it with no payment or paperwork, but then told me that it will still need to be calibrated by Tesla afterwards. So I'm thinking it should be easier just to go to Tesla, even if I will have to pay and get reimbursed by Travelers.

I hadn't thought of going to Today's, who have done great work on my Model X and my son's Model 3.

Do New England SCs still not do glass? I normally use Watertown.

Thanks in advance for advice.
Tesla SC are now doing window replacement again, I had my roof glass replaced at Peabody in February

Reactions: kayak1