Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Wheels on a Model S!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my local service center about this for winter tires given that I wasn't happy with the stock S options. I was told (for what that is worth) that they couldn't do it, because although the tires would fit on the car, the fronts might scrape when the steering wheel is cranked all the way to one side.

I thought of this as well as 20" tire options are cheaper than 21".

However, I haven't ever seen any evidence that they are the same offset. What the service center said seems to imply the x wheels may have a different offset causing rubbing at lock...

I'm sure someone will try soon enough!

Just mounted model X 22" on my model S 85D

Fits like a glove

Front 9"x22" and 245/30 22 pirelli
Rear 10"x22" and 285/25 22 pirelli

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    428.1 KB · Views: 1,533
im an S on X wheels (9.0 front and 9.5 rear). I think the newer X wheels are 9.0 front and 10.0 rear. I think i purchased a one-off limited production run... with the smaller stagger in the rear.

you will have to get properly sized tires for a model S.

265/45/20 and 275/45/20 are too tall front and rear, and too tall in rear so its a no go.

im running 245/40/20 and 285/35/20.

Just wanted to make sure you were informed before you purchased the whole set that those tire sizes will not work.

View attachment 231030

I thought of this as well as 20" tire options are cheaper than 21".

However, I haven't ever seen any evidence that they are the same offset. What the service center said seems to imply the x wheels may have a different offset causing rubbing at lock...

I'm sure someone will try soon enough!

They're the same offset.

Model S: 21x8.5" Front / 21x9.0 Rear w/ a +40 offset (in staggered, box uses a 8.5 all around) with a tire size of 245/35/21 Front and 265/35/21 Rear
Model X: 20x9.0 Front / 20x9.5/10.0 Rear w/ +35 offset

TST sells a 21x9.0 x 21 x 9.5 rear w/ +35 offset, so as long as the rolling diameter (adjusted by tires) is the same, there should be no issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want the long version, keep reading. I used a wheel calculator to double check this.
This one takes a lot of parameters. Since I didn't have all the data, I used two scenarios.

1) I just made an assumption there was no room for adjustment. Meaning, I found the point of rubbing, and used the next value up. Based on that assumption, it would rub on the fender using a 245/40/20 tire on a Model X 20x9 +35mm offset wheel. However, this assumes there's only 5mm of clearance between the existing wheel setup and the fender (there's more than that on my car)

2) So I changed my parameters. Assume TST did their research and their 21" wheels fit. I did the same assumptions to adjust so that TST wheels had no room for error. It found that a 245/40/20 tire on a 20x9 with a +35mm offset would fit the same as the TST wheels with less than 1mm difference in the overall diameter.

Reference Credit:
Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD
The Tesla Model S Wheel Guide
The Tesla Model X Wheel Guide

Bringing this back up.
Would 20” MX wheels fit?
With 245/40/20 and 265/35/20?
Looking to upgrade since 21” kills range but 19” feel great bug don’t look so good.
Trying to find a compromise.
If someone has done this - what size tires did you get?

I ran 20” Model X Slipstream wheels (with 245s Front and 275s Rear) for years as my summer setup. Looked great. Worked great. Absolutely no issues. If/when I go back to a Model S, I will do exactly the same thing. Good luck.

Reactions: Joesage
Reviving thread again.

I had an MXP which I got rid of. I have an MSP on order. I also have a brand new Model X Cyberstream winter tire package that has about 300 miles on it. I've been trying to sell it but no takers.

Since the MSP comes with summer tires, I can't use those in the snow. I could just buy all seasons but then some performance aspects will be compromised. I'd much rather have a second set with winter tires.

Thinking of removing the nearly new Pirelli Scorpions and adding shorter tires to the existing 20" Cyberstreams.
This should still work, right?