Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Wheels on Model S ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if they will physically fit?. I understand the tires won't, but those can easily being changed.

Currently have 21" wheels, however in lovely Los Angeles where half the roads are horrible, it's an issue hitting unexpected pot holes. Unfortunately my work takes me on unfamiliar paths, so it's not possible for me to learn where they are to avoid them.

Have never once scraped a wheel against a curb, but am now going on my 6th replacement wheel due to pot holes. Just lost two the other day on a road I was unfamiliar with. 30 MPH in traffic and WHAM WHAM, LF and LR hit it. Saw it at the very very last second after the car in front passed it, too late to swerve. Guessing it was only about 4-5 inches deep, but that was enough.

Anyway, for what ever reason, Tesla doesn't offer a 20" wheel for the Model S. That would probably be the perfect size to improve appearance (the only reason for going with the 21's), but also allow room for a little more tire height so you don't kill the wheels. Thought since the Model X has 20" stock wheels, they'd look better than the 19's of the same design, then just put tires on them. Seeing a lot of them on E-bay now, but Tesla of course won't answer an aftermarket question, so checking to see if anyone has tried it or knows before buying a set.

Thank you

We, the Forum, have been instructed by Tesla to not answer your question as well... ;)

Just kidding. I don't know the answer but I do know a few S owners who have put on lighter weight aftermarket wheels and tires in 20" size and not only do they look/ride great, there was a significant improvement in handling and acceleration with the 20" lightweight wheels.

I agree with @No2DinosaurFuel , you should look at the T-Sportline 20" wheels made specifically for the Model S.

That being said, here are the specs for the Model X 20" wheels:
  • Size: 20X9.0″(front), 20×10.0″(rear)
  • Offset: +35 (front & rear)
  • PCD: 5X120
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Lug Nut Specs: 13/16, 14X1.50 Thread
Assuming you have the 21" wheels: The MX fronts are 0.5" wider and the rears are 1.0" wider. The offset is 5mm more to the outside. That being said, the rears would stick out an extra 0.7" further to the outside than what you currently have (or 0.95" more if you currently have the standard 21" wheels). The fronts would stick out 0.45" more to the outside than what you currently have.

All of that said, I'm not sure if that extra width, especially on the fronts, is going to cause you clearance issues.

Last edited: