TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X wheels tires and ride height

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Kipernicus, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

It appears that the X does have better ground clearance, but it's no range rover.

1. It appears they had the S turbine wheels on, but I can't tell if it's the same 21" size
    2. Perhaps if they put taller rubber on the same wheels it would increase ride height a bit - did anyone notice the tire size?
    3. I read somewhere that the adjustable suspension can add an inch of height, which doesn't seem like a lot

Those of you who expressed a need for better clearance - do you think the X provides enough?

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

One article said it has 1" of ride height adjustment.

3. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I'm really hoping that it will be able to do DOWN quite a bit. I imagine that a few inches might make the difference between hitting the ceiling of a parking garage and having enough clearance.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I'm sure that they can place the equivalent of a parking sensor on the doors to stop the opening process should there be something in the way of opening to it's fullest extent.

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

That sounds like a plan. Listen up, Tesla, we want auto-stop falcon doors.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Regarding ride height: Over here I posted the below pic, assuming that Tesla's website pic is to scale and we know the Model S ground clearance is 6.1" then the Model X ground clearance must be 7.9"

s and x.jpg