Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X White Smoke and burning smell while charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Had my 2018 Model X 75D charging in my garage with a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet. After an hour of charging my garage, which is a large 4 car garage was filled with white smoke and smelled like burnt rubber. Immediately took out the charger and after talking to tesla roadside I got it towed to Tesla. Today they say they cannot find anything wrong with the Model X. I have been charging like this for 3 years now and have not had any problems until now. Very worrying considering a possible fire could have been started. Has anyone had this happen to them before? If so, what did tesla say? Thanks in advance for your input!

Hi all,

Had my 2018 Model X 75D charging in my garage with a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet. After an hour of charging my garage, which is a large 4 car garage was filled with white smoke and smelled like burnt rubber. Immediately took out the charger and after talking to tesla roadside I got it towed to Tesla. Today they say they cannot find anything wrong with the Model X. I have been charging like this for 3 years now and have not had any problems until now. Very worrying considering a possible fire could have been started. Has anyone had this happen to them before? If so, what did tesla say? Thanks in advance for your input!
Also forgot to add the model x was making a very loud noise (seemed like the fan)