Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X wifi spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? Not being snarky. Genuinely curious. Maybe I'm missing some use of wifi that everyone else is enjoying.

Faster OTA updates download, faster control using the Tesla app, faster map updates.

The old B/G wireless is slow and can be subjected to interference easily and it slows down everything else. I want to turn off the B/G settings on my router.

AC chips are like $20 now

Reactions: Softwizard
I really doubt that. You are limited by your connection to the internet, not your LAN transfer rates.

Not in my case
IMG_3578.jpg

Why? Not being snarky. Genuinely curious. Maybe I'm missing some use of wifi that everyone else is enjoying.
Because when a single device on your network is using an older wifi standard, the entire network must degrade to support it. Not to mention how unreliable 2.4Ghz band is because of so much other traffic on it. n and ac are just as much about reliability and range as they are about speed.

• Funny
Reactions: joshua.MA
Yes, there are a few dinosaur tech parts in the Tesla -- very annoying for a "new" $100K+ car... but considering the much delayed X is just a newer variation of a 2012 Model S platform... I guess they get a pass.

Thankfully the Model 3 won't be stuck with the dated Tegra SOC, "classic" WiFi, and low-power USB ports.

Faster OTA updates download, faster control using the Tesla app, faster map updates.

The old B/G wireless is slow and can be subjected to interference easily and it slows down everything else. I want to turn off the B/G settings on my router.

AC chips are like $20 now

I totally agree that Tesla WiFi should be AC. I'm hoping Tesla will offer a 4G LTE (or newer) upgrade in the future that will also include an WiFi upgrade to AC.

The ONLY WiFi devices on my home network are the two newest ones: 2015 Tesla P85D and eMotorWerks WattBox 200 (monitors our Tesla HPWC and provides "virtual" 2nd meter so we get SCE's awesome EV-1 electric rates while leaving our house on a separate meter).

Crazy the newest ones have the oldest / slowest WiFi options.

Hmmm,
I see faster charge performance using a cigarette lighter USB power adapter (dual 2.1 amp) instead of either front console USB port, so I assumed they were limited to 1 amp. Maybe I was wrong?
Whatever it is it is weak. I had an iPad mini with 0% charge and was trying to charge it on the third row USB port. It was plugged in for all 3 hours of the trip and had gained no power. Started charging immediately when I plugged it in at home. USB in he S and X is good for some charge to iPhones and maybe maintaining charge, or slowing loss on iPads. Odd given there is a tremendous amount of power beneath them in the batteries...oh well. If you want a real charge, need to use cig adapter...

Whatever it is it is weak. I had an iPad mini with 0% charge and was trying to charge it on the third row USB port. It was plugged in for all 3 hours of the trip and had gained no power. Started charging immediately when I plugged it in at home. USB in he S and X is good for some charge to iPhones and maybe maintaining charge, or slowing loss on iPads. Odd given there is a tremendous amount of power beneath them in the batteries...oh well. If you want a real charge, need to use cig adapter...
Is there more than one plug in the 3rd row? I thought I read somewhere that one of the 3rd row usb plugs was high power, while the other wasn't. I could be misremembering though. ;)

There are two USB ports up front, two at rear of center console for second row and one in the third row, right at the front of the cup holder. I have no idea if they vary in power provided. I guess this could be tested, but I don't have the right equipment.