Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Will Have Greater Comparative Advantage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be happy if it looks like this one.
Imagine a large 105 kWh battery pack, taking you 0-60 in under 5,5 seconds, and some amazing 500 horsepower. Awesome!

Jeez, what hyperbole!

It challenges every notion of what luxury can be. It defies every expectation of what performance should be. From its visionary design, to its commanding horsepower, it is nothing less than the definitive luxury performance crossover.

Are they crazy? :)
You are saying that the Model X will be even more revolutionary than the Model S? Amazing!
I can't wait for the future!

That's what I'm saying! Greater comparative advantage = more revolutionary.

Given all they've said about the Model X, I am already strongly leaning toward converting my S reservation into an X reservation.

Since we started this thread in October I have been hyped up on the Model X. I have to admit after Thursday's Model X debut I was a little deflated because there was really nothing new that we had not already discussed ad nauseum on this forum. And I was not sure whether I liked the looks of the Model X or not. And like many I was wondering if those Falcon Doors would fit in my garage.

Now that I've determined that the Falcon Doors will fit (see Model X Falcon Doors will fit ANY garage, if . . .) I can move past them to think about all the amazing features that the Model X does have.

Just to recap:

(1) It is faster than any other SUV/CUV/Van on the planet at 0-60 in 4.4s!
(2) The best traction control system of any AWD vehicle on the planet (according to Elon)!
(3) The best handling of any SUV/CUV/Van on the planet. Turning radius of a Mini Cooper!
(4) The most cargo space of any non-commercial SUV/CUV/Van on the planet - with the seats up or the seats down.
(5) The best 3rd row seating of any SUV/CUV/Van on the planet with direct access to the 3rd row and plenty of headroom and legroom. (this was the biggest surprise to me)
(6) The best gas mileage of any SUV/CUV/Van on the planet - zero gas! - and best range of any non-Tesla EV.

After saying "on the planet" 6 times now I am back to believing the Model X is an incredible vehicle - maybe the most incredible vehicle in a long time.

The Model S is better looking than the Model X and the Falcon Doors are a focal point that take some getting used to BUT the Model X should be revolutionary.

I think in general the folks on this message board sometimes lose the big picture because we are so enmeshed in the details. When the Model S Options and Pricing information came out, we were mostly bitching and complaining but the rest of the world started to place reservations in record numbers.

I think that there will still be tremendous support for the Model X by the general public and it might very well outsell the Model S.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't understand the performance aspect in an SUV. A sports car or sports sedan, performance is part of the purpose of the car, but you don't buy an SUV to go zoom. I wouldn't want the performance to suck, you want a car that's still enjoyable to drive, but it seems a lesser concern in an SUV. Obviously there are folks excited about it though even if I'm not one of them (and I would like the performance S, though I probably can't afford it). I'm curious what % of folks will get performance on the X compared to the S.

My FX is a better looking SUV and at the time it was the best handling SUV on the market. Does not feel like a big car at all.

All night I was walking around telling Tesla folks that I can't get my head around how well this thing will handle. Peter Rawilngs got me pumped about it and now I'm even more. With the Roadster being a great TC car in the snow the work that the Tesla engineers will do on this thing with four instantaneously responsive will be blowing everyone away. Only a four motor system can exceed this.

Once the car magazines, off road racers, rally racers, anyone who cares about car handling gets behind the wheel they will want one. (like Jim M.)

The mind reels thinking about this technology for the next gen Roadster on the track.

The FX looks different now.

To be honest, I don't understand the performance aspect in an SUV. A sports car or sports sedan, performance is part of the purpose of the car, but you don't buy an SUV to go zoom. I wouldn't want the performance to suck, you want a car that's still enjoyable to drive, but it seems a lesser concern in an SUV. Obviously there are folks excited about it though even if I'm not one of them (and I would like the performance S, though I probably can't afford it). I'm curious what % of folks will get performance on the X compared to the S.

You're right, a lesser concern, but still nice to have. I've got the 3.2l Q5, and it moves, but not like an S5. If it did, then I'd have the best of both worlds. So now, you have a bulky "people-mover" with the agility of a sports-sedan. Huge win.

I will say the all wheel drive is exciting, especially as Tesla has envisioned it. It makes me rethink possibly waiting until the S has an AWD version. Not just for performance, but because of the traction control.

To be honest, I don't understand the performance aspect in an SUV. A sports car or sports sedan, performance is part of the purpose of the car, but you don't buy an SUV to go zoom.
True, but that doesn't mean the drivers don't deeply wish that it would go zoom. Just because you need to drive around a big family doesn't mean that the driving can't be a joy.