Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X will not charge to set limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X100D, manufactured June 2017.
V 2018.44 641a0dc
I was at a Supercharger and set the limit to 95% (prepping for a long drive in COLD NH weather). After two hours, charge terminated, displayed CHARGE COMPLETE, but only had 88%. The last 4% was at 3kw or less.

Subsequently, on a different day, I plugged in at home, again set it for 95%. Car again terminated charging at 88%, reporting CHARGE COMPLETE.

I have tried reboot center panel (hold brake, hold wheels until display reappears) with no change in charge result. I also cycled the car OFF for five minutes, and no change in result.

Any suggestions?

One possibility is if you regularly charge to less than 90% the car seems to lose track of the battery charge. This has been noted by looking at your rated miles at your normal charge end-point and seeing it drop well below normal. I don't remember an early completion due to this, but you never know. One possible correction is to start charging to 90%. A couple others had their SvC do a full reset on the car.

Reactions: HeloCaptain
i updated to 46.2 a couple of days ago and noticed the same situation - my charge limit is set to 85% and the past two nights the charge ends at 84%. did not think this was a big issue but i will try a 90% charge tonight and see if anything changes

Reactions: HeloCaptain
2017 Model X100D, manufactured June 2017.
V 2018.44 641a0dc
I was at a Supercharger and set the limit to 95% (prepping for a long drive in COLD NH weather). After two hours, charge terminated, displayed CHARGE COMPLETE, but only had 88%. The last 4% was at 3kw or less...
I had a scheduled Ranger visit Dec 21, 2018. The appointment was actually to install a replacement part, which, as it turns out, is a shop only operation (ranger should not have been sent for this part replacement [wiring harness], though the error was the fault of Tesla's Ranger scheduler not being familiar with the part).

I had phoned Tesla customer care well in advance of my scheduled appointment regarding my charging problem. The representative I talked with said that he could not see anything wrong with the car, with the limited access he has. He said that he would escalate the problem and I would receive a follow up contact from the engineers. Being familiar with Tesla's promise keeping (100% fail so far), I asked the representative to add this problem to my scheduled appointment Dec 21. I was assured that would be done (it wasn't).

When the Ranger arrived, I was surprised that he did not bring the replacement part. He was surprised that they scheduled him for the appointment, since the replacement must be done at the shop.

So, I then asked that he explore my charging problem. He spent 15 minutes or so in the car exploring data on the computer and talking with someone on his phone.

At the conclusion of his visit, he said he could not identify the problem, but he had escalated the issue and I should receive follow-up contact within two business days (I didn't).

I departed for SoCal for a previously scheduled trip (via airline). On January 3, 2019, I contacted the Ranger via text message and advised him I had not had ANY follow-up contact.

He informed me that he had determined that I had a "calibration issue." He instructed me to discharge to 10-20% and then fully charge (100%) using a wall charger, NOT a supercharger. He said this will recalibrate the Battery Management System (BMS) back to normal.

Upon return from SoCal, I ran the battery down to 4% and plugged into my wall charger. Approximately 11 hours later, the charge was completed at 100%.

• Helpful
Reactions: sixty
Somewhat similar , 2017 X100D with 27K miles ..Car charges to 247 miles and says "charge complete " when set to 100% ..Green indicator shows 85% and will not go to the end with repeated charge requests ...Tried the "down to 5% and letting it go to 100% " with no change .
Same thing on home charger or SC...
Waiting for Tesla's response to the problem ..