TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model x wind noise at 100 plus

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Wrkent100, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Wrkent100

Wrkent100 Member

For the 2017 model x (p90d), can anyone tell me if the wind and road noise with 20 inch tires at least matches or beats noise levels from commensurate price bmws and Mercedes.

2. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I have a MX 100D and have owned audi, bmw, and mercedes cars and the car noise in Tesla is excellent. It's almost as good as any luxury car out there and in fact better in some instances. I think Tesla does a great job with sound insulation with the way interior is setup. The door is similar to lexus where the bottom of the door goes almost to the bottom of the car and also has an over hang that insulates against noise. also tires have sound insulation in them too. I am pretty impressed so far.

3. tslaEbay

tslaEbay Member

I have X90D and I feel noise level is high compared to my previous E350.
    May be I should have the SC check all the seals?

4. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

I have yet to drive the expensive SUV's from MB and BMW's on freeway speed, but I would definitely say our MX 60D is not as quiet as my 2009 Lexus RX350 or the loaner X1/X3 I had driven before from BMW. It's definitely a very quiet car on the local road, but the road and wind noises are very noticeable at freeway speed. It's not as bad as the minivan we had before, but definitely not quiet.

5. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

My 2016 Model X was definitely not as quiet as my 2010 Lexus RX 350....although my new 2017 Model X is quieter! They're definitely doing better on the seals!

• Informative x 2
  6. tslaEbay

tslaEbay Member

Some of the wind noise is due to frame less doors on the front...but the road noise is definitely more compared to other luxury cars. Especially on the concrete roads it is quite noticeable at 70 MPH and above.

7. rainforest

rainforest Member

Hmm. I hear very little road noise compared to my Lexus. Maybe about same as Mercedes.

8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Wish I can try a latest build Model X and see how much better it is....though my 2016 X is fine

• Like x 1
  9. passcore

passcore Member

Way more road noise compared to my X5 even when I am doing just 70. However i would absolutely not trade this car for any of the luxury brands

10. Wrkent100

Wrkent100 Member

Thanks guys, getting one to test drive for a day tomorrow. Wonder if not hearing the engine noise makes the road and wind noise more discernible. Would be interesting to have a decimal reading for two types of cars so 100 mph

11. teethdood

teethdood Member

I'm driving a loaner 2016 X HW1. Definitely more wind noise than my 2017 X.