Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Model X. I noticed that at Highway speed there is a very significant wind noise from the small triangle shaped window on the driver side.

It is not the same on the passenger side. Anyone else with this experience?

I notice when I stuff my son's flannel jacket over the area the wind noise pretty much goes away.

I will be bringing it in. Anyone else have thoughts?

Yes, I've had the same issue with my passenger side. If I were to press on the rubber strip between the small window and the passenger window, the wind noise went away. I noticed that the rubber strip had a small bow in it. I rolled down the passenger window and straightened out the bow. It seems that the rubber is reinforced with some metal inside. Once straightened out, I no loner had the wind noise.

Reactions: Nicebag and madodel
I had the same issue on my passenger window when I first picked up my car. The SC adjusted the door latch so it sucked in the door some more. This created positive pressure on the triangle window seal. No more noise. The triangle glass and the window glass should be flush with the rubber seal pushing through.

In the almost 6 months I have had my Model X P90DL my car has been at the service center for 6 times for a 3 total months. Two of the most annoying problems is wind noise come from both front windows and second is the sensors on right side of the car not working properly. When they came three weeks ago to pick up the car, the service manager came himself and took a ride with me. The first thing he noticed was the loud wind noise coming from both front windows once I got up to 45 mph. The second thing I showed him how cars in the blind spot weren't being seen by the sensors.

This is the fifth time they have worked on the wind noise. They have replaced the windows and now seals along with applying other fixes. It is obvious they really don't know what is wrong with the windows they just keep trying things with the hope they will eventually find what is wrong. This same is true for the right side sensors. The latest thing they tried is upgrading the sensor firmware.

I am so frustrated with the Orlando service center. At least they gave me a Red Model S 90D with only a couple thousand miles on it to use but it still doesn't make up for my X.

I guess I just don't complain enough. If I did they would have replaced my Model X with a new car like they have for others who have had a lot less problems.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Same problem here. My X is at a service center now, that issue was #8 on my list of 18, we'll see if they get to it.
About same numbers of issues before I sent the X to service center. The service center was overwhelmed and took me 3 days to get back the X in California. Lately "key not detected" messages comes up and I've an appointment to firmware my keys plus other issues like replacing roof top window and rear mirror. Good Luck!

In the almost 6 months I have had my Model X P90DL my car has been at the service center for 6 times for a 3 total months. Two of the most annoying problems is wind noise come from both front windows and second is the sensors on right side of the car not working properly.....This same is true for the right side sensors. The latest thing they tried is upgrading the sensor firmware.

Please keep us updated on this problem.

I had long suspected I had a problem with the right side sensors (the rear sensor seemed to work, but the middle and forward ones never showed). In addition, I'd never seen the autopark functionality kick in.

Since I was coming from a "vintage" sensorless Model S, I wasn't sure what to expect so I had ranked it pretty low on the priority list of things to fix.

In my latest go around in the SC (with other issues), I actually have a loaner Model X. I now see the right side sensors consistently and autopark is pretty regular.

Not sure if autopark is related to sensors -- so if anyone has input on that, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I have wind noise form the driver's side window. They fixed the seal on the triangle window, since it was folded over. No change in noise. I took it back and they compared it to another X and had similar decibel readings and said it was fine. I drove 2 S loaners and it was silent. Still can't understand how an older car with older seals was so much quieter than my newer state of the art car. I'll try again soon. Bigger issues to deal with right now. I'd like ot know some suggestions, since they don't seem interested in fixing it.

Open your driver and passenger door, stand outside and check the air gap between the large window and the rubber seal of the small window. The larger glass should be touching the rubber seal all the way to the top while the door is open. (An air gap may close when the door is closed, but that isn't good enough to solve the problem. Check it when the door is OPEN.)

My passenger side had an air gap and the service center was able to adjust the larger window from inside the door to eliminate the air gap.

Also check to make sure the back edge of the front doors are sealing properly too. Mine are OK but when there is a significant cross wind I can here wind noise behind me and even notice a bit of gap. I think there needs to be a bit tighter seal back there or perhaps a small adjustment to get the window to seat a bit deeper.