Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windscreen size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some real concerns with the fact that the windscreen extends beyond the drivers head, kind of acting as a sunroof. Even though it is tinted, not sure how this will go in summer heat situations for the driver and passenger. There is no option to pull a shade blind down on the upper part, much like you do with a sunroof. Not to mention the added strain and use this will place on running the a/c.

I know where I live (Australia), that the tinted sunroof is closed for at least 8 months of the year, as the heat issue on the head is too great.

I just found this in one of the car's reviews, so probably solves the perceived problem.
The sun visors attach to the A-pillar and can be stretched across the cabin to magnetic posts to create a sun shield.
I think they are just referring to the sun visors attaching magnetically to the rear view mirror area. The visors do unfold down to extend their size, but that is not even close to be large enough to cover the roof part of the windscreen.

I think they are just referring to the sun visors attaching magnetically to the rear view mirror area. The visors do unfold down to extend their size, but that is not even close to be large enough to cover the roof part of the windscreen.

Yes you are right, I'm seeing some real heat issues with this car. Would imagine places like Arizona etc will not be wanting so much of the sun's rays coming into the car space. It will be a real issue in Australia, hence why convertibles are not popular here, the sun's rays are just too harsh. Anyway would like to know any comments from people in harsh sun laden areas of the world who take possession of the X.

...would like to know any comments from people in harsh sun laden areas of the world who take possession of the X.
The sun position may be the number one concern when driving. As Firewired mentioned, the Panoramic Roof does a great job of reducing the suns rays. Only when the sun image reflects on the touchscreen is there an annoyance for me, and that doesn't happen much. I look forward to the view of Model X and the experience of having objects viewable overhead while driving.

To prepare and be ready for the inevitable direct sunlight, I have a Tesla cap that I plan to wear as needed. Already I see a problem with the curved part of the cap, and will be looking for a straighter edge to be more like a sun visor. If the sun is shifting across the entire glass surface on a curvy road, donning a sun visor hat may be the most effective way to dodge the direct rays without reaching to adjust both sun visors in Model X. Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Gray TESLA Wordmark Cap

With the S many non-owners are worried about the pano roof, but no actual owner is concerned... Including me. When you are in the car about 95% of the heat is coming in through the intended portions of the windows and windshield. The parts of the car under the pano roof are cool and shaded. Maybe it takes the air conditioner an extra 5 seconds to cool the car down.

We live in Hawaii where the heat / sun is at least as intense as it is in Australia, probably more so. When we took delivery of my parents' Model S, my mother was concerned enough about light and heat transmission through the pano roof that I took the car to have the pano roof to be tinted. No issues with heat / glare noted coming through the pano roof. Sitting in friends' Model Ss, I think we would have been fine even without the tinting. I'm expecting our Model X to have similar tinting on the overhead portion of the windshield as the Model S pano roof and if some reason it's an issue, we'll get that part of the glass tinted as well. As others have mentioned, I do not expect that this will be a significant issue.

Tint is capable of blocking the majority of the suns energy, while still allowing a measure of transparency. I don't think it's going to be much of an issue...certainly not one that should affect usage or cause undue concern.

I suspect your view might be clouded (pun intended) by living in Minnesota. Here in FL we leave the roof shades in place 9 months out of 12 and, like many owners, we have an additional windshield tint. When we get a Model X I'm 99% certain we'll be adding a tint there also; it's easy and cheap enough to do for those geographies that need it.

I suspect your view might be clouded (pun intended) by living in Minnesota. Here in FL we leave the roof shades in place 9 months out of 12 and, like many owners, we have an additional windshield tint. When we get a Model X I'm 99% certain we'll be adding a tint there also; it's easy and cheap enough to do for those geographies that need it.

Nah, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 2 years, I know how hot it gets. I didn't notice a particularly large difference between driving my black GTI in FL, as opposed to MO, or MN (during the summer).

Now, riding my Triumph Street Triple, with black protective gear and helmet, was noticeably worse.