Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield on Model 3 - instead of offering a sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I'd *much* rather have the Mod x windshield on my Mod 3 than a traditional sunroof. It's as close as you can get to being in a convertible (or helicopter cockpit, as Elon mentioned) without being outside. Something that affects every second behind the wheel.

Some thoughts on why this may be both economically feasible and production efficient.

- Every car has a windshield and economies of scale would quickly take over.
- Sunroofs require a separate manufacturing step to cut the existing roof and install the mechanism. Elon has stated that simplifying production is a key goal/requirement for Mod 3.
- Opening sunroofs add cost, mechanical complexity, and potential for more leaks.
- On the latest earnings call, Elon mentioned something about (paraphrasing) "having worked out supplier/production issues around the Mod X windshield"
- If Tesla has, and is willing to share any patents on this windshield, the cost to replace would be competitive, due to numerous potential suppliers.
- It would be a huge differentiating factor over the Bolt, and other (supposedly) competitive offerings in the same space.
- IT is just WAY, WAY cooler and more immersive than any sunroof.

Anybody see it differently?

I would love to have the Model X windshield. Sadly I don't think they will offer it since Elon said something along the line of "fewer bells and whistles" on the M3.
It would be awesome to have though. It's the only feature on the X I actually want. (and autopilot of course)

Personally, I'd *much* rather have the Mod x windshield on my Mod 3 than a traditional sunroof. It's as close as you can get to being in a convertible (or helicopter cockpit, as Elon mentioned) without being outside.
Couldn't disagree more. A big part of the convertible experience is "wind in your hair". Windows down with a large open sunroof is as close as you can get without having an actual convertible. Just looking at the sky through glass doesn't cut it for me.

I can't think of anything I'd want less than the Model X windshield. Is it unique and different? Sure. But is it really better? I don't think so. Do I want it? Absolutely not. Standard windshield and pano roof for me, please.

Couldn't disagree more. A big part of the convertible experience is "wind in your hair". Windows down with a large open sunroof is as close as you can get without having an actual convertible. Just looking at the sky through glass doesn't cut it for me.

I can't think of anything I'd want less than the Model X windshield. Is it unique and different? Sure. But is it really better? I don't think so. Do I want it? Absolutely not. Standard windshield and pano roof for me, please.

Well it's nothing like a real convertible but it's more convenient at least in a cold climate. Where I live we may have one or two months with weather suitable for driving with the top down.

Anybody see it differently?

Yeah. I expect the 3 base model to come without a sunroof option to keep costs down, so the added expense of an X type window, and the associated engineering needed to reinforce the roof structure to keep it crash worthy, runs counter to keeping the base model affordable. Personally I don't want a sunroof, an X type roof would be cool but I can easily do without it.

In the X design, the oversized windshield is tied in to the falcon wing door design. To support the doors, Tesla had to build this massive H shaped truss made up of the B and C pillars and a central connector where the doors mount.

I haven't seen any models or crash results, but I'm pretty sure it's this B/C truss that allows Tesla to use the massive windshield without having crash issues (or massively reinforcing the A pillars.) This truss is the core of the car's crash safety, especially for rollover cases, and provides stable mounting for the falcon doors and the rear hatch.

Because of that, I really don't expect the 3 to have such a windshield or falcon wing doors. On the other hand, the Y (or whatever the 3 CUV version ends up being) could possibly have both - I know Tesla spent a fortune and accepted big delays to get the original falcon doors right, so you wouldn't think they'd show up on a "cheap" car - but if they've solved all the problems and the production costs aren't huge, Tesla might want to amortize their investment.

Well it's nothing like a real convertible but it's more convenient at least in a cold climate. Where I live we may have one or two months with weather suitable for driving with the top down.

I don't know where in Sweden you live, but here in Norway close to Oslo (about same latitude as Stockholm) I drive with the top down 5 to 6 month a year. Well, I may overdo that (I just love to drive with the top down), but 4 month (mid May to mid September) should be no problem for most people in the southern part of Norway and Sweden.

That was my thought process - not a replacement for a true convertible (wind in hair) but the feeling of top down as far as visibility.

In the X design, the oversized windshield is tied in to the falcon wing door design. To support the doors, Tesla had to build this massive H shaped truss made up of the B and C pillars and a central connector where the doors mount.

I haven't seen any models or crash results, but I'm pretty sure it's this B/C truss that allows Tesla to use the massive windshield without having crash issues (or massively reinforcing the A pillars.) This truss is the core of the car's crash safety, especially for rollover cases, and provides stable mounting for the falcon doors and the rear hatch.

Because of that, I really don't expect the 3 to have such a windshield or falcon wing doors. On the other hand, the Y (or whatever the 3 CUV version ends up being) could possibly have both - I know Tesla spent a fortune and accepted big delays to get the original falcon doors right, so you wouldn't think they'd show up on a "cheap" car - but if they've solved all the problems and the production costs aren't huge, Tesla might want to amortize their investment.

Could be very true about reinforcement. Don't know how much of the H truss is for the doors vs. windshield. Either way, you'd think that both the doors and windshield would show up on other models at some point, for the cost amortization reasons you expressed.

I think we are going to see a conventional windshield on the 3 with a non-opening glass roof. Think pano, less the motors and hinges. I think that glass roofs (of some type) will soon be the standard for all Tesla models, including the S after its upcoming refresh.

Those wanting wind in hair will prob have to wait for Roadster 2.

I don't know where in Sweden you live, but here in Norway close to Oslo (about same latitude as Stockholm) I drive with the top down 5 to 6 month a year. Well, I may overdo that (I just love to drive with the top down), but 4 month (mid May to mid September) should be no problem for most people in the southern part of Norway and Sweden.

I'm on the west coast (Gothenburg to be specific).
And yes I am aware that you CAN drive with the top down in this climate but the question is if it's comfortable. I don't think so.
Take last summer for example maybe 2 or 3 weeks without rain and add to that the low temperatures we had.

I can't justify buying a convertible since I only would enjoy it a few weeks in summer time.
If I lived someplace warm and dry like Arizona I might consider it.
But where I live now I'll take a M3 with Model X windscreen over a convertible any day of the week.

But that's just me, we all have different taste :cool:

Also I've been thinking some more about this and I think the Model X windscreen might be more suited for a SUV/CUV since the ride height is a bit higher.
So the question is if it's even feasible to have such a large windscreen on a sedan.

Take last summer for example maybe 2 or 3 weeks without rain and add to that the low temperatures we had.

Yes, last summer happened on a Saturday in June - I clearly remember that day - and we had the same temperatures in July and at Christmastime :p But still I was comfortable driving with the top down most of that part of the year that we normally would have called spring/summer. But as you say - we all have different taste :)

This was a nice compromise in a Volkswagen Sports Jetta we used to have. If you don't want your hair blown just keep it closed.
sunroof.PNG

I'll wait until we hear the cost of an X windscreen replacement first, before I form an opinion.

If we excluded the cost factor, which option would you then choose?

For me without the cost factor taken in to account, I would take the windshield. I think the model x windshield offers greater visibility in seeing traffic signals and road signs. And personally for me its more useful than a sunroof since most of the time its only driver and front passenger in the car. Our dog in the back seat probably doesn't mind.