Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Windshield Replacement Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
Just in case someone wants to see the cost breakdown for a new Model X windshield, here you go:

This work was performed by Safelite AutoGlass in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Safelite.png

Thank you! My windshield has a big chip, too close to the edge for the glass place to safely fill it. They said 50% of the time such a repair would cause a big crack to result; 50% of the time they said such a repair would work. I elected to sit tight for the time being.

The replacement windshield should be covered fully by my auto insurance. Is the part one generally available at the service center? I assume that the replacement cannot be done by mobile service?

Thanks!

It took Tesla 2 weeks to get a windshield in stock in Scottsdale, Arizona, and then Safelite didn't pick it up immediately as my appointment was a week off, so Tesla sold the windshield to someone else. Then it took another 2 weeks to get another one in stock, which Safelite immediately picked up. Safelite told me that the windshields for the X are too large for their normal trucks that transport their glass, so the only Safelite facility in the state of Arizona that handles X windshields is the one in Scottsdale, a block away from a Tesla Service Center. You may find a similar situation in other states, but I don't know.

Tesla will replace the windshield for you, but you have to pay $1500 out-of-pocket and deal with insurance reimbursement on your own. I chose to go through Safelite to avoid the up-front expense. I'm not sure whether Tesla would tack tax on top of the $1500 or not. Mobile service most certainly can't do the replacement though. It requires 2 guys to remove the windshield, and 4 guys to set the new one into place.

Did Safelite re-align and calibrate the cameras too, or did you have to visit a SC for that?

I have in writing, from Tesla, that the cameras self-calibrate. I specifically asked this question of Tesla.

It took about 150 miles to recalibrate, but it did eventually fix itself. It was initially riding the right line, and with lane departure on, it was ringing like a bell and trying to steer me out of my lane. So if you get your windshield swapped, be sure to turn off lane-departure warning and assistance. It is working fine now though, roughly 300 miles after the swap.

Reactions: z168 and mswlogo
I was told the actual new windshield cost was $1000. How did you pay almost $1600? I think you got ripped off. I was quoted $1000 + some new seals which would be a lot less than 1600

Where was that? I paid more or less the same as the TS (converted to Swiss Franks) 2 days ago when my windshield was replaced.
In Switzerland, I blatantly refuse to go to certain local "cheaper" companies because instead of using Tesla's prescribed sealant, they use a generic sealant-kit that is cheaper but either too soft or becomes too hard. When too soft or not applied "without gaps", moist-spots can form along the edges. In the latter case, they glass can crack because there is too much tension. I learned the hard way with such companies that "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys". I therefore go to a Tesla certified place, end of discussion. You pay more but it's done right.

I just had my X windshield replaced yesterday at a SC. Same exact cost as OP...1500 and change.

I first called Safelite (heard they actually did the installs for telsa) but they called after I booked and said Tesla makes them pickup in Philly (1.5 hour) drive and that was a big risk during transport.

So I booked directly with the service center in Lancaster PA and they scheduled and replaced the very next day. I guess they stock them.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware and z168