Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield sun glare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transitions lenses will darken in a car as they are sensitive to visible wavelengths.

Regarding the windshield, how much lower would the tint have to be to make you comfortable?

No, transition lenses do not as then they would darken indoors. And from Extensive personal experience , they do not darken in a car. Sheesh.

The tint isn't strong enough, doesn't matter how low or high it is. The windshield lets in tons of extra light.

Here's a picture showing what it looks like with the shade flipped up and open to max taken from a drivers eye perspective.

90c9567d688fe95ad83b51b492bdab6d.jpg

I'm in the market for a Model S, but if I was considering a Model X, I would wish there was an option for a normal front windshield. Telsa could drop the base price of the car if the big front windshield was an option. I don't even like the look of the Model X with the giant front windshield. From the outside the car looks like it has male pattern baldness.

Living in the west of the Cascades Pacific Northwest, I often forget my sun glasses, especially when it's sunny in the winter. I did today when I had to go out. It rained just about every day last month and has been clear the last couple of days. I got used to not needing them and then remembered I had forgotten them when I got out of the hills and the sun became a problem. The sun is so low in the sky this time of year that even mid-day you might need the visor to the side when driving west, which was the case today.

I can manage this sort of situation with just the visor most of the time, but there are some times when the sun is shining in around the mirror and I have to shift position to put the sun behind the mirror.

I am also not a fan of sunroofs and never liked convertibles either. I prefer a roof over my head than the open sky. The open area over people's heads in cars seems to be a fad these days like leather seats. I don't find either very practical, but both seem to be standard equipment on just about any car with more than the absolute basic features. (Leather seats more than moonroof/sunroofs, but every car I looked at had both either standard or got added as you went up the package list.)

• Funny
Reactions: DelPhonic1
You may not be aware that there are several different types of Transition lenses. The "Transition III" or "XTractive" lenses work in a car. I know this because I wear a pair, and the lenses work perfectly. Sheesh!

Thanks for that info @Blastphemy. I'm off to my optometrist tomorrow. I've been cursing my transisitions for years.:cool:

I don't need sunglasses in other vehicles. I am guessing my transition glasses do dark a little bit, which is enough of a tint, along with the normal sunshade and, you know, a roof.

My problem with the Model X is that the lack of roof lets in too much light.

Can't you just take the X to a tinting shop and have them apply dark tint to the already tinted section of the windshield? I did this for my parents Model S for the pano roof when my mother complained too much about the light coming in from above and it's now very comfortable for her.

Can't you just take the X to a tinting shop and have them apply dark tint to the already tinted section of the windshield? I did this for my parents Model S for the pano roof when my mother complained too much about the light coming in from above and it's now very comfortable for her.
Not when some high end tint shops are saying they can't apply film to it because it's too curvy.

I don't need sunglasses in other vehicles. I am guessing my transition glasses do dark a little bit, which is enough of a tint, along with the normal sunshade and, you know, a roof.

My problem with the Model X is that the lack of roof lets in too much light.
For the first days of driving Model X, I forgot the sunglasses because they were in the Model S. I was amazed that my regular transition lenses (that stay somewhat clear in the car) worked fine. If the sun was more direct, i'd want my M Frame Oakley sun glasses, but the window tint does work well.

A couple of nights ago I shined a flashlight into the sunroof of Model S and through the windshield tint of Model X. The X is darker when comparing the light on the seats, yet it doesn't seem that way. The lightness could be due to tan .vs. white leather, but I would say that the tint is similar to the sunroof in Model X, if not darker.

Yeah, FWIW, my tinter said he couldn't apply a tint to the windshield due to the extreme curves. He also pointed out to me that if you look across the windshield from the inside (like driver side to the far edge of the passenger side), you can already see distortions - more tinting would make that worse.

Yeah, FWIW, my tinter said he couldn't apply a tint to the windshield due to the extreme curves. He also pointed out to me that if you look across the windshield from the inside (like driver side to the far edge of the passenger side), you can already see distortions - more tinting would make that worse.

Hm, I've seen tint applied to curved glass before.

3047244_orig.jpg

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Great, can you get me the name of the company that did that? The reason given for not being able to tint the Model X windshield is that it would require a lot of heat and they are worried about the windshield cracking since the particular windshield appears to be a laminate and/or already has tinting layers applied in some unknown way.

Great, can you get me the name of the company that did that? The reason given for not being able to tint the Model X windshield is that it would require a lot of heat and they are worried about the windshield cracking since the particular windshield appears to be a laminate and/or already has tinting layers applied in some unknown way.

I would recommend emailing local tinting shops in your area that have good reviews on Yelp. Based on their response, you can choose a place that would be willing to install the tint on the X. I had 6 of my cars tinted at TW Tint in Santa Ana (714) 543-4677), they are pros and did a excellent job in installing a 10% ceramic tint, I would give them a call and see if they can do an X.