Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield sun glare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect those first 6 founders vehicles had seats made by the company that wasn't able to deliver in quantity on time and led to Tesla doing the seats themselves.
Very likely.

Your post does bring up the question in my mind if the quality of the early Signature production can be judged on the original seat manufacturing or early production flaws done in house.

Since my teenage VIN Model X has at least one PROTO labeled part, some of those original seats could be in the early VINs as well. IMHO, what else would explain why one of my 2nd row seats cannot latch, has a broken safety plate, a warped leather seat bottom, a sticky switch at delivery, loose plastic trim that runs around the lower edges and touchscreen messages that prevent seat usage until repaired to make it latch.

Last edited:
As you can see, Elon has a lot of things for himself that no one else gets.

i would be more surprised if senior Mgt did not have future product innovations and try them out before releasing them to the masses. I suppose they should be the last to try new things and it would be better to ship them to the unwashed masses, then if they work out give them to the important people.

My point. It would be strange to me if Elon did not have access to all the experiments, new ideas and potential new products. That would be strange indeed. Order the ten dollar shade to use until someday Tesla offers an overpriced screen with a Tesla tag on it.

The folding center seat arm rest will likely show up one day in new production cars. It can be disconcerting but it is how Tesla rolls out improvements. One day they just show up in the car.

As you can see, Elon has a lot of things for himself that no one else gets.
Of course. But who would want all the years of frustration that it took to engineer and manufacture Model X. Elon deserves those extras.

Having Tesla Motors make the modifications and repairs to the Model X as needed more than makes up for any issues at delivery. Even though my Model S was almost perfect at delivery, there were many changes over the next three years. I still drive that great Signature vehicle and it is better than ever. It even has 7.1, and the X remains on 7.0. No complaints, I want them to test the summon feature as long as they want before sending out the update. I don't need any surprises because someone didn't check how it performs with 22" wheels!

And when he responded to my tweet he said "yes, comes with each car". LOL just because he got one that doesn't mean it "comes with each car".

I read his tweet that a tinted roof comes with every car. On the early S he commented the pano would have a sliding cover. Still no sliding cover. Try not to worry to much about it. Buy a ten dollar screen and some day Tesla may sell a sun screen in the online store.

I read his tweet that a tinted roof comes with every car. On the early S he commented the pano would have a sliding cover. Still no sliding cover. Try not to worry to much about it. Buy a ten dollar screen and some day Tesla may sell a sun screen in the online store.

I want a quality sunshade that matches the alcantara not any piece of cloth on my six figure car.

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw tesla sun screen

I want a quality sunshade that matches the alcantara not any piece of cloth on my six figure car.

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw tesla sun screen
In the heat of summer, IMHO, nothing less than a truck sun shade for Model X. Just turn it with the mirror cutout down and the reflective side towards the glass above the mirror. Secure above the visors that would be positioned at the windshield. Here is an example only, I have NOT checked dimensions.

UR10797 Covercraft - Sun Shade At StylinTrucks.com

The other drivers may find it annoying, but it could spell relief from the desert summer heat.

Awesome! Would love to see photos of this channel is possible?
Below the upper channel is an opening that is way too visible from both the outside and inside of my Model X Signature. I checked the 2012 Model S Signature, and everything is tight with nothing visible. While the photos were difficult to take with an iPhone, I used a different camera with a zoom lens to clearly show you what is visible. Stand in front of the Model X at the center. This is adjacent to the main windshield that is clear.

See the paint, wiring, bolts and electrical connectors when shining the flashlight or taking a flash photo of Model X Signature. This is a visual gap between the windshield border and the Alcantara material inside next to the windshield. Hopefully this is an early VIN issue and better reports will be posted from recent delivery owners. Left photo is the passenger side and the right is the driver's side.

IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0680.jpg

Thanks for your questions about the channel. Another item for Tesla to check this coming week.

UPDATE: When shining a flashlight onto the space between the alcantara material and the windshield from the inside of the Model X Signature, it makes you realize what a unique vehicle this is. IMHO, every step has been taken to maximize the view out of that windshield, even at the cost of shining the flashlight on some wires and bolts. From the inside of the vehicle, the windshield acts as a mirror, so the flashlight view allows you to see things that wouldn't be seen in the daytime. This all takes place from the driver or passenger seat, no straining or unusual positions are required to see the hidden areas.

Still, it would seem that one additional piece of stiff dark material could have been placed at the furthest inside edge of the windshield and curve slightly down to the top back edge of the alcantara cover. That would prevent seeing what is behind the scenes. A credit card can be inserted long ways around the entire windshield, unlike Model S. About 1/2 the distance of the card at the front and almost the entire card near the visor storage for the driver.

Last edited:
Below the upper channel is an opening that is way too visible from both the outside and inside my Model X Signature. I checked the 2012 Model S Signature, and everything is tight with nothing visible. The photos were difficult to take, due to the focus through glass while standing in front of the Model X at the center. This is adjacent to the main windshield that is clear.

Believe me, I can see the paint, wiring, bolts and electrical connectors when shining the flashlight. Again, hopefully this is an early VIN issue and better reports will be posted from recent delivery owners. Left photo is the passenger side and the right is the driver's side.

View attachment 108252 View attachment 108253
Thanks for your questions about the channel. Another item for Tesla to check this coming week.

Thanks for the photos, do you see anything where a sunshade could possibly clip onto?

Thanks for the photos, do you see anything where a sunshade could possibly clip onto?
The space between the alcantara cover next to the tinted glass is about 3/16 inch. Because Tesla uses the space behind the cover, it may have to be authorized sunshades that are designed and approved. IMHO, any sunshade would not be next to the air bag locations, so that could be a limiting factor.

It has been a good exercise to examine these areas of the Model X Signature. I found a couple of gaps behind the side visor position on some additional alcantara covered plastic panels that needed snapping in. Same with the center console between the driver and passenger seat. What looked like a manufacturing defect was just the felt covered plastic that hadn't been snapped into position under the top edge where the phone charges. It is satisfying to make these corrections that will save Tesla Motors time. That will give them more time to solve a new problem, the right (passenger side) falcon wing door won't open with any control and the "open" button is blank on the touch screen. The car knows it cannot open that door, but there is no error message. For those who would panic, the window does operate.

Last edited:
Not that I saw. The only middle arm rest I saw was on a six-seater founder X used during the rides outside where they had a middle row center console.

Peter+

It was there. With the 7-seat config, the back of the middle seat folded down to create an armrest. The 6-seat config that Tesla showed had a console with cup holders. It appears neither made it to production.

The space between the alcantara cover next to the tinted glass is about 3/16 inch. Because Tesla uses the space behind the cover, it may have to be authorized sunshades that are designed and approved. IMHO, any sunshade would not be next to the air bag locations, so that could be a limiting factor.

It has been a good exercise to examine these areas of the Model X Signature. I found a couple of gaps behind the side visor position on some additional alcantara covered plastic panels that needed snapping in. Same with the center console between the driver and passenger seat. What looked like a manufacturing defect was just the felt covered plastic that hadn't been snapped into position under the top edge where the phone charges. It is satisfying to make these corrections that will save Tesla Motors time. That will give them more time to solve a new problem, the right (passenger side) falcon wing door won't open with any control and the "open" button is blank on the touch screen. The car knows it cannot open that door, but there is no error message. For those who would panic, the window does operate.

Would like to see what Tesla says about the opening. But if others reported having this opening and it is on both sides perhaps it is not a defect rather made to accommodate a sunshade?

Would like to see what Tesla says about the opening. But if others reported having this opening and it is on both sides perhaps it is not a defect rather made to accommodate a sunshade?
I have revised my original post with improved photos to show what is visible next to the clear windshield glass A pillar. I also posted how a credit card can be inserted longways around the entire windshield channel with about half or more of the card insertable against the inside glass surface where the heavy tinted windshield surface is located. This is unlike Model S where the same gap occurs to a smaller depth where the windshield has a more visible protective border and material to hide wires and bolts from view.

We need more recent VIN photos of Model X Signature to see if newer production has the same visual quality as Model S.

Received a response from Tesla confirming that a sunshade will indeed come with each car for the panoramic windshield and that it "looks great".

However it is evident that founders and sigs did not receive one so perhaps it will come with the production X.

Received a response from Tesla confirming that a sunshade will indeed come with each car for the panoramic windshield and that it "looks great".

However it is evident that founders and sigs did not receive one so perhaps it will come with the production X.

I'm sure they will ship them to the founders and sigs, if intact they include them for production cars.

The Model X has a slot that goes from the visor side attachment points around the entire tinted windshield glass area. The set up is very similar to the Model S pano roof slot that accommodates a spring frame sun screen. It is obvious it was designed to allow insertion of a shade the same as the model S pano shade. When I received my first S I thought the headliner was not properly attached. When I ordered and installed the shade I realized the space or gap was intentional.

If a shade shows up in the online store I will order one. If Tesla ships a shade to the owners or delivers it with the car I am OK with that also. Not a big deal either way. Living in Arizona we run three pano S cars with front and rear pano shades and also the rear lift gate shade. I take mine out in the winter and my wife leaves hers in year around. So whatever your preference is works.

It would probably make more sense to sell it as an accessory rather than ship lots of shades that gather dust in the frunk. People that want and will use a shade can order it and those that don't need or want a shade won't have an unused shade to store. But if Tesla chooses to provide them with the car that is up to them.

Last edited: