Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had our windshield tinted and there is one thing I really disliked about it. You know that the front dash of the X has a grid like surface? After the tint, that grid get reflected back up on the windshield much more prominent than before tinting during the day. I guess if you drive the car every day, eventually you won't see it anymore. I only drive my wife's X on the weekend, so I kind of still noticing it. It's like a reflection of a net on the windshield and it bothers me. My wife doesn't see it btw, but for me, it is very hard to un-see it.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I would like to tint the windshield with Llumar AIR 80.
Can the whole windshield be tinted, or is that a bad idea?

The whole glass can be tinted--as far as how it's done varies between shops, so that's probably a question better for your shop.

We haven't noticed anything that would be considered a bad idea to tint the whole thing. If anything, it's better especially for heat rejection purposes.

I would like to tint the windshield with Llumar AIR 80.
Can the whole windshield be tinted, or is that a bad idea?
Be aware that it is illegal to add tint a windshield in Georgia without an approved medical exemption. You may not find a dealer who would do so. It is a misdemeanor; however, the tint would have to be removed to drive the X, so it may be impounded -- or required for the entire tint to be removed at the point of infraction.
Understanding Window Tint Laws

Last edited:
Be aware that is illegal to add tint a windshield in Georgia. You may not find a dealer who would do so.
Understanding Window Tint Laws
The 80 tint is really clear. Can't tell that its tinted. I don't think anyone will notice. Can't put tint on anything forward of the rear passenger doors in California. Had 80 tint on windshield for over 5 years, nothing said.

The 80 tint is really clear. Can't tell that its tinted. I don't think anyone will notice. Can't put tint on anything forward of the rear passenger doors in California. Had 80 tint on windshield for over 5 years, nothing said.

Understand. I'm merely pointing out the risk. I was stopped in Virginia on my X and they measured my driver's and passenger's side window tint. It was illegal in Virginia (similar to California), but since my tags were Georgia, they could not enforce VA laws on an out of state car.

I tinted my windshield with Llumar Air 90. The reflections from the speaker grill are terrible, but they were terrible before the tint. I was afraid the tint would amplify ghosting or halo effects at night, but they all seem equally annoying before and after. I would say it doesn't make a difference as far as that goes.

I just wear my polarized sunglasses more often during the way to negate the reflections and I barely drive at night anyway.

I don't know if the car is a LOT cooler because of it, but I'm extremely comfortable (if not cold, my passengers all say it's too cold for them) when I keep the car at 70 - 72.

There were a few bubbles that showed up from dirt flecks in the worst spots though, so I'm having the tint company redo the windshield tint in two weeks. Just be prepared to find some imperfections in the tint, since the area they're tinting with a single piece of tint is huge.