Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield wiper replacement blades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
I see lots of complaints about the wiper blades in the Model S, but nothing so far about the Model X. So far in rain they are smeary, which is disappointing for a brand new car. But worse is action in snow. Today we had a few inches of fine snow and the blades left streaks of snow on the windshield. I used the fluid spray but it hit too high and wouldn't clear the bottom half of the windshield, and even with the top part I had to push multiple times as a lot of the spray goes up the windshield before the wiper can swipe over it. Eventually using the defroster and a lot of wiper fluid cleared the windshield but by then I was almost home. May in part be my fault as I didn't think to turn on the wiper heat until I was having the problem. I see in the Model S threads that the fluid jets can be aligned better which would help, but the wiper blades seem so thin. Anyone know if there are better replacement wiper blades? I see no mention of sizes in the manual and Amazon says the much praised Model S recommended Bosch Icon replacement blades are not for the Model X.

Hi madodel - I've found that wiper blades often get glazed and rubbing them with a scrubbee or sandpaper (lightly) revives them. It's also possible that they accumulated a little ice and that will definitely cause streaking and skipping. Picking mine up tomorrow.

Well... Although I did purchase them, I have not installed them yet. They look identical to the ones on the car.
I was able to repair the damaged original ones and I'm waiting for them to fall apart (it's been a few months and they are still working fine.)
I live in Florida so we don't have the snow and ice problems you people up north have to deal with ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
The problem is not the wipers. It's the windscreen.
My MX, delivered in Jan.2020 was also smearing right off the bat. Reason: the glass was still greasy as hell. Could even see the suction-cup markings from production.
I thouroughly de-greased the glass (on both sides as the inside was disgusting too) and the blades them selves and they have not smeared since. Problem solved.

The problem will not go away by itself or by using other blades. As the root-cause is the glass. Rain-X forces you to clean and de-grease which, obviously, automatically solves the problem. Rain-X is just an extra then, not the actual solution.

I scoulded at Tesla after delivery for not going through the trouble of simply cleaning the glass. I had to de-grease everything my self (side-windows, FWD, rear, everything). They had 60 cars needing to leave the delivery center on the day I picked up my car and only 3 people to do it. I hold no grudge against those 3 folks over there. Should have been done at the factory.

I think the "grease" is actually the wax they put on the car. I bet they coat the entire car with the wax, incl. the glass surfaces and this causes smearing when using the wipers.
Everybody that washes and waxes cars knows "clean the glass afterwards".

The original wipers are actually really good, on CLEAN glass...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
The problem is not the wipers. It's the windscreen.
My MX, delivered in Jan.2020 was also smearing right off the bat. Reason: the glass was still greasy as hell. Could even see the suction-cup markings from production.
I thouroughly de-greased the glass (on both sides as the inside was disgusting too) and the blades them selves and they have not smeared since. Problem solved.

The problem will not go away by itself or by using other blades. As the root-cause is the glass. Rain-X forces you to clean and de-grease which, obviously, automatically solves the problem. Rain-X is just an extra then, not the actual solution.

I scoulded at Tesla after delivery for not going through the trouble of simply cleaning the glass. I had to de-grease everything my self (side-windows, FWD, rear, everything). They had 60 cars needing to leave the delivery center on the day I picked up my car and only 3 people to do it. I hold no grudge against those 3 folks over there. Should have been done at the factory.

I think the "grease" is actually the way they put on the car. I bet they coat the entire car with the way, incl. the glass surfaces and this causes smearing when using the wipers. The wipers are actually really good, on clean glass...

What did you use to de-grease the glass? Something like Simple Green?

What did you use to de-grease the glass? Something like Simple Green?

Universal paint-thinner. Best for the job. Be DAMN careful with the paint though! Put on a non-plushing rag and never ever try to spray it or something.
As the wax is really stubborn, I had to go over the windshield twice to get all the residue off. I used a small block of wood to reach the top of the windscreen (above the camera section) to clean there, despite my 6foot2 :)

ops. Clean the OUTSIDE of window to remove residual film with a single edge razor blade (use a holder) and simple rubbing alcohol. Pain thinner is not a good alternative due the vehicle's rubber, plastic and painted surfaces. Simply, with a cloth, generously place the alcohol on a portion of the windshield and then scrape with the razor blade. Repeat in overlapping portions until you complete the entire windshield. There is residual film from the white protective film that is placed on the vehicle for shipping. This will remove the "adhesive" like substance remaining on the windshield . The glass cleaner will not remove, so you will contiguously have a dingy appearance. You can then initially clean the entire windshield with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol. Afterward a good window cleaner will work well to give you a clean and highly visible