Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does more snow collect in the wheel well and under the car while driving the car than for ICE cars?

With our vacation rental in Tahoe, we've had the following problem on both our visits there... which didn't happen for any other guest:
We drove in to the garage, parked the car. Then over the next few hours a large amount of ice melted from the car onto the garage floor, filling the waterproof lining under the concrete and spilling to leak onto the bottom level of the house and causing damage.
There was lots of snow this winter, and the house was booked every weekend.
I can't explain the fact that this issue didn't happen to anyone else other than perhaps the Tesla gathers more snow than an ICE.

As reported in my first post in this thread I experience a bit of cold draft on my lower legs whenever the temperature drops no matter what the cabin setting is. The other day I modified my window gasket

Drivers Window Leak

and it seemed to have helped this. In fact I even found myself lowering the cabin temperature on a longer drive through a mountain pass because I was getting too warm.

Reactions: OnBass
As reported in my first post in this thread I experience a bit of cold draft on my lower legs whenever the temperature drops no matter what the cabin setting is. The other day I modified my window gasket

Drivers Window Leak

and it seemed to have helped this. In fact I even found myself lowering the cabin temperature on a longer drive through a mountain pass because I was getting too warm.
Hi, @aesculus, I also read the linked other thread but I still don't understand which part you are referring to. I don't feel the cold draft in my X but mine is relatively new (October 2017 delivery).

Hi, @aesculus, I also read the linked other thread but I still don't understand which part you are referring to. I don't feel the cold draft in my X but mine is relatively new (October 2017 delivery).
My car is an AP1 car with no camera on the B pillar. The part I showed the picture of is the black glass like plate between the two doors. I have removed it and flipped it upside down to show the underside where the shims were. There are two screws holding it in place at the bottom and a slip fitting at the top. AP2 cars may not have the same attachment.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I’m on a road trip in Pennsylvania so I parked my MX outside. Now one of the FWD doesn’t stay closed as if the latch is frozen/broken. The car is undrivable and being towed to the service center. This is going to disrupt my vacation big time.
Happened to me the first day I had my X... it was -25C that day and I had passengers with me. I was on the phone with Tesla roadside assistance and tried numerous reboots etc and finally it closed. Smooth sailing since but this is a major pain in the butt!

Have been driving with one functional falcon wing door for a month. Service center 300km away. Over the air diagnostics revealed to be weak hydraulics. Parts ordered . Appointment for January 18th. Was told the door has to be ripped apart.
I hope this is not the case. I’m not sure how to get back to Michigan if I have to leave it here. They don’t have a loaner.

Didn't see anyone mention the following ... do you have a problem with the washer fluid not wetting the lower half of the driver's side? We had the wipers replaced once already, but this seems to be a design issue.

I have the same problem. If I'm driving, it won't ever reach that area. I have to oversoak it at a stop for the fluid to drop down to the area.

Does more snow collect in the wheel well and under the car while driving the car than for ICE cars?

We don't have a hot exhaust pipe running the length of the car. So theoretically we could be collecting more ice, but I haven't noticed any more or less compared to an ICE car. The amount of water/ice I get in my garage after seems to be about the same and the amount collecting in the wheel wells seem about the same as well.

• Informative
Handled like a dream...Chain control tried to deny but i told them its AWD so they let me tru

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 92
  • snow2.jpg
    snow2.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 79