Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't preheat it for at least the full 30 minutes, sometimes longer, the front windows are freezing in the full up position which is a nightmare. The doors will generally open, but then you can close them from the inside because the window is up and hits the trim.

I drive a classic 2013 S P85, and remember early issues with windows having this behavior in winter, but also remember it being addressed, and have not heard about it since.

Maybe the front door design in the X is different enough to cause such problems ?

The FWD refusing to open is not insignificant though, I hope Tesla takes it seriously.

Seems like some sort of spray (silicone?) could alleviate the sticking on both the doors and windows. I would expect it to be more predominant in a freeze-thaw or wet then cold situation rather than always cold. I had a 1/4 of ice on my car one AM and all the doors opened and windows came down OK.

I also have Opticoat on my glass and I wonder if that helps with both the freezing and windshield streaking, because I don't have any of that either. Just a stupid first setting on the windshield wipers that like to over-wipe.

Even if I remember, some of the ski areas we use in CO don't have cell coverage, or wifi outside the lodges. I can't turn on preheat even if I want to.
Solarman004

Where do you like to ski in CO?

WE generally go to Beaver Creek since we are only 15 minutes away. I'm heading back there from Austin next week and should be there most of the ski season.

Do you ever get to Beaver Creek?

They sell their own on Tesla.com

Not in stock.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 11.41.18 PM.png

Thanks for all of the feedback here. I'm headed up to Tahoe in a few weeks and will be taking the X. I've posted before what happened last time when I took the S through chain control. :oops:

I was surprised to hear that nobody had the typical complaints revolving around regen - that on slippery roads, having a car automatically start braking when you let off the accelerator is generally not very welcome. Perhaps that's because I'm thinking about the RWD cars, and with AWD, it's not as much of an issue anymore. I really had to be careful about feathering the pedal on my S the few times I've been in serious snow.
I always foundy Chevy volts Regen to be fantastic for braking in snow... But then again it's a lighter car. Also, love the santa hat... Very festive ;)

Regarding tires, I am a huge fan of Nokian for winter tires. I have the WRg3 on 20" rims for my winter setup and I have done a lot of driving in heavy snow, through unplowed roads up to about 8" deep, ice, etc. they are solid and the car handles great.

My frustration with the doors is getting worse though. The car is pretty much useless if left in cold weather for long. If I don't preheat it for at least the full 30 minutes, sometimes longer, the front windows are freezing in the full up position which is a nightmare. The doors will generally open, but then you can close them from the inside because the window is up and hits the trim. From the outside I can flex the window a little and tuck it in enough to close the door, but. I amount of tapping, jiggling, or pushing down on the window is able to get it loose. I just have to wait for it to warm up. The full defroster seems best (double tap until it turns red), but that turns off if you get out and close the door! So really not great for skiing where the car is sitting in a parking lot at 15F getting coated in snow and ice.

The FWDs are not much better because the joints all freeze up, the sensors are covered and so the doors won't open at all from the outside, and from the inside pressing and holding to override they only open a couple inches and then give up. I had to manually actuate the door to the full open position and then it started working again. And this is after brushing off all the snow and scraping off the ice.

Anyone else having these issues?
As I've used our Model X doors more and more, I really am looking forward to the manual door handles on my model 3. I hope someday Elon gives the option to do standard handles on the X or the small crossover they plan on making, even if it's just for us folks who deal with snow and a cold winter season.

I drove in the snow just this morning. Overnight snowfall combined with surface temperatures slightly above freezing combined to make for a slippery snow pack. The X handled well, but it was far from magic: traction control activated occasionally, which is less than ideal, and I fishtailed the car pulling a U turn. It's no Tahoe or Suburban. However, in general I was pleased in the confidence I could place in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Scmbug
I drove in the snow just this morning. Overnight snowfall combined with surface temperatures slightly above freezing combined to make for a slippery snow pack. The X handled well, but it was far from magic: traction control activated occasionally, which is less than ideal, and I fishtailed the car pulling a U turn. It's no Tahoe or Suburban. However, in general I was pleased in the confidence I could place in the car.
Which tires do you have? I don't see how a Tahoe or suburban could have better 4 wheel or all wheel drive systems...

Which tires do you have? I don't see how a Tahoe or suburban could have better 4 wheel or all wheel drive systems...

I have 20" tires, which are all-season. I'm not sure the AWD systems matter as much as simple friction. The 4x4 Suburban is 10% heavier and, because they have a high energy gas tank and don't give a hoot about efficiency, can be ordered with wider tires.

I suppose the epitome of this idea is the M1 Abrams tank, which manages to do well in the snow despite weak traction control :)

Lat night went into downtown Cleveland and came back with seriously snow and ice covered roads. My X with Tesla package 19 inch snow tires and wheels performed terrific. I followed a 4 WD jeep for a while that was sliding everywhere. I could floor the car and it would only feed the power to the wheels at the rate they would accept and it went straight down the road. Did not get to see how it works when regenerating as regin was limited by temperature.

Lat night went into downtown Cleveland and came back with seriously snow and ice covered roads. My X with Tesla package 19 inch snow tires and wheels performed terrific. I followed a 4 WD jeep for a while that was sliding everywhere. I could floor the car and it would only feed the power to the wheels at the rate they would accept and it went straight down the road. Did not get to see how it works when regenerating as regin was limited by temperature.
@bikeandsail

I also will be doing a lot of snow/ice driving with my X in the Colorado mountains . I was hoping to stay with the 20" rims and All Season.

I've used All Season with my current SUV without any problems to date, but they have 19" rims. Why did you go to 19"? And do you think snow tires are a must for the X.

I'd appreciate your input.

My experience as well, in Colorado, (especially downhill I-70 in a snow storm). I have the stock all weather Continental tires. No issue with FWD. As they were opening I did pull off a large buildup of thrown up slush that froze, but no issue with it not wanting to open.

There was enough buildup on the front that I lost cruise and autopilot ability for when I got down to dry roads, but as the car melted off in the warmer air, everything began working again without a restart.

My experience as well, in Colorado, (especially downhill I-70 in a snow storm). I have the stock all weather Continental tires. No issue with FWD. As they were opening I did pull off a large buildup of thrown up slush that froze, but no issue with it not wanting to open.

There was enough buildup on the front that I lost cruise and autopilot ability for when I got down to dry roads, but as the car melted off in the warmer air, everything began working again without a restart.
@DrivingRockies

As I mentioned to @bikeandsail a few minutes ago , I live in Vail Valley and will naturally be driving my 75D this winter when I hopefully take delivery by January.

I noticed you mentioned having the All Weat her stock Continental. Do your have them on 19 or 20" rims.

Do you find the all weather sufficient and no need for winter specific tires?

@DrivingRockies

As I mentioned to @bikeandsail a few minutes ago , I live in Vail Valley and will naturally be driving my 75D this winter when I hopefully take delivery by January.

I noticed you mentioned having the All Weat her stock Continental. Do your have them on 19 or 20" rims.

Do you find the all weather sufficient and no need for winter specific tires?

I have 20" rims. I was worried about how they would perform so I picked up some "wheel socks" that I didn't use. While the few days I have driven it in the snow is far from conclusive, I currently have no plans to buy winter specific tires. I'll leave the very light and small socks in the frunk as I continue testing.

So far, I'm very happy. Driving out of the mountains on I-70 they did very well, driving around Colorado in the plains in this recent first storm for us down here, it's the best car I've had for snow, even with the all terrain tires. I'd be interested in your experience when you get yours as well! More data is always better.

I have 20" rims. I was worried about how they would perform so I picked up some "wheel socks" that I didn't use. While the few days I have driven it in the snow is far from conclusive, I currently have no plans to buy winter specific tires. I'll leave the very light and small socks in the frunk as I continue testing.

So far, I'm very happy. Driving out of the mountains on I-70 they did very well, driving around Colorado in the plains in this recent first storm for us down here, it's the best car I've had for snow, even with the all terrain tires. I'd be interested in your experience when you get yours as well! More data is always better.

@DrivingRockies
That's great to hear. was not wanting to invest in winter tires and/or 19" if not necessary ?

I'm anxious to get my X and will relate to you my experiences