Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 20" tires, which are all-season. I'm not sure the AWD systems matter as much as simple friction. The 4x4 Suburban is 10% heavier and, because they have a high energy gas tank and don't give a hoot about efficiency, can be ordered with wider tires.

I suppose the epitome of this idea is the M1 Abrams tank, which manages to do well in the snow despite weak traction control :)
You'd probably find that you'll have much better results with snow tires.

I'm hopeful that the conditions that caused the frozen windows and doors will be relatively uncommon for me. It was relatively cold, < 10F, and so with the car warm enough to have liquid moisture on the outside, when you stopped it didn't take long for everything to freeze up. The design of the base of the window on the X is interesting. I'm assuming it's the same as the S, but I'm not sure. With most cars there's a rubber seal that goes a little ways up the window, and then flairs out to the door surface, so water running down the window is pushed away from the window. However, on the Model X there's an actual trough at the base of the window between the glass and the chrome trim, and a tiny fibrous seal agains the glass. This seems to create a perfect place for a small amount of water to pool, and then freeze if it's cold. I'll have to experiment to see how it functions, perhaps water slowly drains out of it somehow? Anyway, seems like an odd design, perhaps only done for looks? But very impractical in cold weather it seems.

Love to hear reports from others as they do more driving in freezing temperatures, especially after leaving the car for more than 4 hours in those conditions.

*TIP* Turn off the auto fold mirrors if there's any snow and ice build up so they don't strain the motors when they can't fold or unfold. I wish there was a way to make the spoiler stay up, since the trough created by the space under it gets so packed with snow and ice that it can't close itself all the way unless it's carefully cleaned out every time you park. :)

I'm also going to experiment with using a credit card or drivers license if this happens again to see if I can get it between the glass and the seal to clear the the ice. Couldn't get it enough with a scraper.

Oh, and if you actually WANT to do donuts, or drift the car, you can! Turns out going into settings and turning Slip Start seems to pretty much disable traction control and you can go sliding around quite a bit if you have a nice open parking lot!

For anyone who hasn't read the whole thread, I have Nokian WRG3 tires on 20" rims, and the car drives great in a wide range of snow and ice, just more the "gadgets" that have some issues.

Solarman004

Where do you like to ski in CO?

WE generally go to Beaver Creek since we are only 15 minutes away. I'm heading back there from Austin next week and should be there most of the ski season.

Do you ever get to Beaver Creek?
We are closest to Monarch and Breckenridge. Tesla planning will change our normal routine this year as there is no high speed charger on the route to Monarch that would allow for a day trip. So day trips will now be Breck using the Silverthorne supercharger. And, we booked a hotel near Monarch that has a 14-50 socket for EV guests for an overnight stay.

I need to follow @ohmman's lead and write to Hampton Inn asking them to install Tesla destination charging in Salida. That would support the central US50 corridor and Monarch ski area.

I think you're spot on. Do snow tires work well in rain? Around here it's 99% rain in the wintertime, and 1% snow.
It's not the rain you need to worry about, it's the temperature. Snow tires have a softer rubber that works better in the cold. All seasons rubber is harder and basically loses it's grip when it gets colder (thick of a hockey puck on ice). There are also tread patterns that help with gripping on to ice and displacing water (sniping) which is another feature found on almost all winter tires.

If your winter temperature is inside the temperature range of the winter-tires, then it would be fine. If not, then you could stick with all-seasons in your part of the country.

Generally, you could run winter tires all year round, but I suspect it would wear out fairly quickly in the summer and your mileage wouldn't be as good. But it would be really grippy. :)

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and Scmbug
Mine did great this past week in the snow on the E-470 toll road from DIA to Parker road. No issue with buildup in the front, the whole back though was covered in snow. Then again I do not have autopilot on my car and wouldn't even notice the snow build up in front as a factor.

There was a Jeep following and trying to lead the way with me, but kept slipping and such, eventually they kind of calmed down and stopped being a bit reckless. I have the stock Conti on 20".

I'm looking forward to the snow and driving the car, but stressed out when it comes to the FWDs.

Was in NH this past weekend in 15 degree weather and one of the falcon wing doors froze up, thankfully the second one did not. I called Tesla Support, nothing they could do or talk me through remotely helped (said to schedule an appointment with a device center). Once I got back to Boston and the temp warmed up it worked again.

The part that wasn't fun is that it caused the door to be in an in between state of not open (it looked closed and flush), but not 100% closed so the car registered it as open. It made the constant beeping noise while driving, but I found out that if you try to put the car in cruise control (didn't try auto-pilot) above 18 miles an hour it stopped the beeping noise, which made the 3 hour drive home bearable. Another issue is that you don't get navigation in the left dash display when a door is in this open state and you are driving. Also the car would not go to sleep and lock when I walked away from it because the door was technically still open.

Anyone had this issue and any better solutions or prevention?

Any point in still visiting a service center, I figure no, was just frozen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
When mine were covered in ice and didn't want to open, they would still open a few inches, then beep and stop (at least after preheating the car). If you're able to get it unlatched you can try physically lifting it. Like the rear hatch, I found I was able to do this and it helped clear the ice and get it working.

I sometimes have issues with the rear hatch not doing the final latching that all the doors do where it sinches down. In that case if I reopen it and just catch it with my hand and close it then it latches.

When the passenger door would not latch using the reset technique worked. Check out the model X door reset tricks that are pinned in the Model X wiki here on TMC.

Sounds to me like it just got some ice in it, so I doubt there's anything service will be able to do.

I had my first snow storm driving experience yesterday (18cm of wet snow at -2ºC average temperature). Here are some of my observations:
  • The rear trunk covered in wet snow would open a few inches, beep, then completely close again. I assume the weight of the snow triggered one of the sensors to make it think it hit an obstacle
  • The vehicle handling was stellar, maintaining traction in extremely slippery conditions
  • Driving was surprisingly smooth and a lot less stressful than when I drove my 4wd F150 in similar conditions
  • There were times when I felt the vehicle begin slip/slide but easing off the accelerator, quickly brought things under control
  • Regenerative "smart" braking works perfectly and doesn't induce dangerous control conditions like down-shifting in a 5-speed manual
  • A small amount of snow build-up on the headlights significantly reduces light output
  • Wipers were continually getting snow/ice build-up and required wiper heaters to help, but it wasn't very fast or at times sufficient
  • Wiper heaters kept turning themselves off after a period of time, which was a little annoying
  • Heavy snow during the day was enough to disable Auto-Pilot, but the same snow at night didn't disable it. I suspect that snow-refracted light "blinds" the camera whereas at night, visibility was better due to more directional light from street lights and headlights.
  • It's impossible to count how many snowflakes were falling due to the windshield ghosting problem. ;)

On a drive in 36 degree weather I definitely noticed the "cold feet" syndrome. However a quick fix was simply to open the fan controls and manually set to blow air on feet and on windshield (for ongoing defrost). I also cranked up the fan speed manually. With a higher fan speed blowing on my feet, it was problem solved. First car, though, that I've had cold feet in. I think the insulation might not be so great near the bottom of the vehicle as I notice more road noise in my X vs my Audi Q7.

I had my first snow storm driving experience yesterday (18cm of wet snow at -2ºC average temperature). Here are some of my observations:
@vandacca , Nice writeup...thank you. I see in your signature that you have the 20" wheels. Did you put on snow tires, or do have the Continental all-season tires?
By the way, to get an accurate snowflake inventory at night through the MX windshield, just count the total flakes and divide by 3.☺

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and vandacca
I have 20" tires, which are all-season. I'm not sure the AWD systems matter as much as simple friction. The 4x4 Suburban is 10% heavier and, because they have a high energy gas tank and don't give a hoot about efficiency, can be ordered with wider tires.

I suppose the epitome of this idea is the M1 Abrams tank, which manages to do well in the snow despite weak traction control :)

Actually you want skinny tires in winter, they provide better grip. I bought winter tires for all my vehicles for last 15 years - TireRack always recommended a downsize from summer wheels / tires (wheel usually by 1", tires taller and narrower).

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
@vandacca , Nice writeup...thank you. I see in your signature that you have the 20" wheels. Did you put on snow tires, or do have the Continental all-season tires?
By the way, to get an accurate snowflake inventory at night through the MX windshield, just count the total flakes and divide by 3.☺
I probably should add to my signature that I'm running the Pirelli Scorpion tires on Tesla's 19" Cyclone rims.
I've heard really good things about the Nokian winter tires and will probably switch to them sometime in the future.

Lat night went into downtown Cleveland and came back with seriously snow and ice covered roads. My X with Tesla package 19 inch snow tires and wheels performed terrific. I followed a 4 WD jeep for a while that was sliding everywhere. I could floor the car and it would only feed the power to the wheels at the rate they would accept and it went straight down the road. Did not get to see how it works when regenerating as regin was limited by temperature.

I wish I had had my 90D Friday/Sat/Sunday. That would have been my first snow experience in Cleveland. But we are in Lake County, and snowbelt near Chardon to boot. I have an S85 loaner while the X was in for service. Boy did that suck. I did not dare take it out during any of this. But on rainy roads, the rear was all over the place. It has 21" M+S tires. How can this be acceptable, despite being rear drive only ?

On a drive in 36 degree weather I definitely noticed the "cold feet" syndrome. However a quick fix was simply to open the fan controls and manually set to blow air on feet and on windshield (for ongoing defrost). I also cranked up the fan speed manually. With a higher fan speed blowing on my feet, it was problem solved. First car, though, that I've had cold feet in. I think the insulation might not be so great near the bottom of the vehicle as I notice more road noise in my X vs my Audi Q7.

You will definitely need to manually adjust the climate controls to feel comfortable in colder weather for sure. The cold feet is also a side-effect having no engine in the front where you feet would be, thats why normal ICE cars you typically dont have that, the HVAC plus the warmth of the engine keeps the place where you put your feet warm. The frunk is particularly susceptible to getting cold due to its cavernous nature, so you will often see ice or frost still on your frunk while the rest of the car may be warmed up.

Would love for the X to have vents around where the visors are on the A-pillars to help keep the cold coming from the massive windshield from making it "feel" colder at times.