Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Driving Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One time I had to put my work bag under my knees instead of on the passenger seat and noticed that my feet were much warmer. I keep my driver seat fairly high and this would probably not be good for anyone in the seat behind me but a little seat curtain could probably keep a lot of that heat in the foot well. I haven't tried to reproduce this yet.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

In Mammoth... been snowing all morning on the mountain, rain down in town. 8 inches of snow in the parking lot by the time I left the mountain, car did perfectly while everyone was sliding all over the place. 20" stock conti silent no slipping at all. Put the spoiler to extended and wipers in service mode when I parked.
Supposed to snow about 2 feet in town tonight!

Still drive slow on ice with those stock tires. I know Tesla is an amazing vehicle on the snow but over confidence without snow tires in heavy snow conditions is no bueno. I was caught in a blizzard in Tahoe a couple weekends ago and experienced slight skidding on ice. I decided to play it more conservatively after that and had zero issues.

View attachment 205952

View attachment 205958

In Mammoth... been snowing all morning on the mountain, rain down in town. 8 inches of snow in the parking lot by the time I left the mountain, car did perfectly while everyone was sliding all over the place. 20" stock conti silent no slipping at all. Put the spoiler to extended and wipers in service mode when I parked.
With the heated windshield/wipers wouldn't it be better to leave the wipers in the down position and pre-heat?

With the heated windshield/wipers wouldn't it be better to leave the wipers in the down position and pre-heat?
Possibly, I did forget to pre heat and not being able to turn on the defroster or heated wiper on the phone probably doesn't help either.

Ha! Great to see Mammoth getting dumped on! Have some friends headed up in a few days.

Snowed a good amount in town last night and about 5feet in the past 24hrs on the summit! Powder day!!!

Aesculus thanks for the great information!

One question: Did you set your active spoiler to the upward position to prevent it from trying to lower down onto accumulated snow?

Comment: I wish the car had heated wiper blades rather than a heated section of windshield where the blades rest :rolleyes:.

Idea: It would be great if our Norwegian friends could add some of their MX winter experiences to this thread.

Glad I read this thread.
Despite owning my MS for 3 years with the cold weather package, had no idea the wipers weren't heated but that the low windshield area was heated instead.

Do the heated wiper blades do anything?

Just drove through the worst freezing rain of my life from Chicago to Indy.
Roads absolutely covered in ice.
Car completely covered in ice. Could barely see beyond the front of the car as the headlights were completely covered in ice and I couldn't chip it off.
Had to manually run the wiper blades in "intermittent" mode to maximize the heating elements on the wipers.
Despite this, had to pull over multiple times to manually de-ice the car.

Having said all of that, I never lost control of my MX on Pirelli winter tires whereas hundreds of cars didn't make it.
Average 515 Wh/mi. Max front heater. Max interior heat. Only 35 mph average speed.

My wife and I drove from Loveland to Denver (Pepsi Center) last night. According to teslafi we drove 48 miles each way, 427 Wh/mi, temperature 26F, 1 hour 8 minutes. After the game we drove back home. This time some snow and very cold (9F), 604Wh/mi, 1 hour 27 minutes. We had defroster on high. Took longer since snow on the road, about 25mph through Denver, 45-55mph rest of the way. We had plenty of battery charge but our Wh/mi was 40% more. Even though we had defroster on high we still had ice chunks on the front windshield. Tesla drove perfectly, we have winter package and winter tires. No ability to use auto-pilot since all lane markers were covered in snow.

View attachment 205952

View attachment 205958

But wait, if you put the wipers in service mode, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the wiper heater included in the cold weather package?

One more question, did you have to clean the snow off your sensors to stop them from beeping and to get the doors to function?

Reactions: FarmerDave
I could be wrong about the wipers but I thought the defroster would be faster than the heated wipers. Also I thought the heated wipers were to prevent build up while snowing and driving.

Had no problems with beeping or sensors at all, and never had to clean them off.
Edit: and doors all functioned perfectly including falcons with some snow buildup on top. No snow fell in the car, no frozen doors.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Just had a similar experience as @neverdone with >600 Wh/mi, full on Climate defrost, and so-so wiper defrost which is better than none for sure but just wish it would stay on.
Put the spoiler in extended mode, but that reset as soon as I walked away with the fob.
Put the wipers in service mode when I parked but they moved back down as I approached, well before any brushing or scraping could be done. Preheating during the previous half hour helped.
I thought spoiler extended mode would be persistent and wiper mode wouldn't end until driving stated.
Setting mirrors to no auto-fold just keeps them from folding in, not from folding out if manually folded in on key fob approach. This setting also does not persist.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and hiroshiy
Just had a similar experience as @neverdone with >600 Wh/mi, full on Climate defrost, and so-so wiper defrost which is better than none for sure but just wish it would stay on.
Put the spoiler in extended mode, but that reset as soon as I walked away with the fob.
Put the wipers in service mode when I parked but they moved back down as I approached, well before any brushing or scraping could be done. Preheating during the previous half hour helped.
I thought spoiler extended mode would be persistent and wiper mode wouldn't end until driving stated.
Setting mirrors to no auto-fold just keeps them from folding in, not from folding out if manually folded in on key fob approach. This setting also does not persist.

Strange, my wipers stayed in service mode and my spoiler stayed up. (Didn't do the mirrors)

Attachments

• IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    424.3 KB · Views: 60