Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me preface this post with a little background - I have lived in SW PA and been driving SUVs of various sizes for over 30 years and thus am quite familiar with how to drive in mountainous,frigid cold, and snowy conditions. The purchase of the 100D Model X a few months ago was predicated by the desire to be environmentally responsible and the belief (based on features and research) that I was purchasing one the safest cars available. However, my experiences this past weekend challenge the "safest cars" notion as I felt my safety and life were twice in jeopardy.
  1. The car slid a great deal during the snow storm and I did not feel the ABS kick in. Fortunately, I left adequate space to miss the car ahead of me but the lack of immediate control of the vehicle was disturbing and one I had never felt in a standard SUV. I am looking into the winter tire kit as a possible remedy.
  2. Ventilation in this car is marginal at best. I was startled to learn during the summer that this version of the model X lacks ventilation controls for the passenger area thus the entire car is dependent upon a front dash ventilation. During the extreme heat of the summer, this substandard feature resulted in uncomfortable passengers. Little did I realize the implications of the ventilation for winter driving until this weekend. First of all it is/was difficult to achieve a comfortable level of warmth in the car for all passengers (I have seen earlier posts related to this). The rapid loss of battery charge in the extreme cold prompted me to cut the heat to conserve the energy in hopes of making it to my destination. What I was not prepared for was the rapid internal icing of all the windows.Talk about a major safety flaw ! Fortunately, I was able to slowly creep off the turnpike to a wide shoulder and wait for the windshield to clear and ultimately make it to my destination though completely addled by the experience. I would also add here that keeping the windows clear of frost with passengers was not an option despite the fact that I had warmed up the car in advance.

In both of these instances I felt unsafe. This has never the case in any of my earlier SUVs the most recent of which was an Audi Q7. I am uncertain that the purchase was a good decision primarily for the reasons described above. I have other qualms about the car but will not extend my post.

Any suggestions other than the winter tire purchase would be welcome

In closing, I would like to suggest to Tesla that the owners manual be updated to include all helpful tips for driving with passengers in extreme weather conditions and develop a way to modify/improve the ventilation in the existing Model Xs

Odd remark on the ventilation. I feel the ventilation in the Model X is splendid, and can cool the car down in less than 5 minutes to normal temperatures in summer heat. Are you sure the rear ventilation is activated? You can separately front and rear control the ventilation from the central screen.

The rapid loss of battery charge in the extreme cold prompted me to cut the heat to conserve the energy in hopes of making it to my destination. What I was not prepared for was the rapid internal icing of all the windows.
Can you make sure A/C is still on. It needs to be on even when heating to clear the humidity from the inside air. With lots of passengers it will build up fast.

Simplest is to start with Auto on both front and Rear and then experiment from there. For example I have my front always go to the feet in winter, but everything else was set from Auto.

Can you make sure A/C is still on. It needs to be on even when heating to clear the humidity from the inside air. With lots of passengers it will build up fast.

Simplest is to start with Auto on both front and Rear and then experiment from there. For example I have my front always go to the feet in winter, but everything else was set from Auto.
I'd be willing to also bet this is the problem. My family members always have their auto climate control car -- in manual mode w/ AC off. Baffles me every time.

I touch cold defrost for a few moments to clear the windows.
Middle row gets heat when the front is on. Five adults have been comfortable in single digit temps (F). The range hit sucks but it hasn't stopped any winter travel.
Ask the service center to fix any seals and leaks.

My X comes from a line of Lexus, Toyota, and BMW cars. I’m confused by your experience. My Tesla’s have saved me more than any other car in winter conditions. Quite succinctly recall passing quite a few cars in total over several Midwest winters. You are driving a performance SUV so I would wonder if prior SUVs you’ve had aren’t geared as much for performance and have stickier tires.

The ventilation seems good into 5 seated. Bo less performance than any other luxury car our family has had.

My X has been the best winter vehicle I’ve ever had.

Also... don't forget to disable regenerative braking. ;)

I realize there is a fair bit of commentary on this and I'm bothered by it. I have never been inclined to disable regen braking on either my previous S85 or my current 85D in slick conditions. I prefer it. To each his own. I grew up skiing quite a bit - like 3-4 times a week in the winter - and an old 4 speed manual Subaru was the car I learned to drive on ice and snow. Using engine compression by downshifting was how we'd drive the entire descent from or resort. Would hardly ever touch the brakes. To me, regen is very similar, and I love it. If a person is not used to regen and they panic and pull their foot off the accelerator instead of feathering it - it's the equivalent of panicking and jamming on the brakes in an ICE car. In my mind, regen isn't the problem...

Reactions: TLej and Gwgan
Odd remark on the ventilation. I feel the ventilation in the Model X is splendid, and can cool the car down in less than 5 minutes to normal temperatures in summer heat. Are you sure the rear ventilation is activated? You can separately front and rear control the ventilation from the central screen.
Perhaps it was much colder in the OP's area than yours normally gets.

Per a quick Google search for the OP's city, attached is the current temp and a forecast in metric. A fair amount of the US except the SW corner or the West coast has been very cold recently.
pa-weather.png

I do not want to sound rude but driving with summer tyre on snow and complaining on the car being unsafe is...

I really doubt an Audi Q7 on summer tyre would behave better than the Model X. I was driving an Audi A6 Quattro and I can tell you that with summer tyres on snow, it is a nightmare.
The Audi Q7 has enormous 285mm wide tyre. The Model X has narrower 265 tyres that are giving more grip in winter.

Definitely, your issue is driving with summer tyre, whatever car we are speaking about.

My own experience, driving the Model S now is that the 4 wheel system from Tesla (independent front and rear motors) is better than the Audi Quattro system.

Last weekend I drove my new Model X 75D from Montauk, NY to Greenwich, CT in single digit temps with ice and snow on the road. It was a 3 hour drive, and about 140 miles. The cold weather definitely depleted my range, and leaving Montauk with a full charge (showing 237 miles range), I arrived home with only 20 miles to spare! Heating the car and keeping my family warm must have really drained the battery. Turning on the front defroster on high a few times, I could actually see the range going down!

I had the climate settings to keep the A/C on, and I had the air blowing on the windshield, the top vents and the floor, at an average temperature of 73 degrees. I had the heated seats on level 2 for 4 seats. The car was very comfortable, and the windows were fairly fog free.

I have the 22" wheels with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero all season tires, and I felt that the car was very stable on the icy and snowy roads. The traction control works very well, and even when I tried to make the tires spin, the traction control kept everything stable and smooth. I was considering getting a set of snow tires, but I feel the Scorpion Zeros do a fair job. They aren't as soft as the Pirelli Sotto Zero snow tires I have on my Porsche Panamera, but they aren't bad and they provide sufficient grip.

We do make trips to go skiing in Vermont, and I am concerned about making a 230 drive from my home to Okemo in VT. The 75D won't make it without a stop at a Supercharger. This will add at least 30-45 mins to my trip. I am hoping there's a destination charger at the resort, so I can charge overnight and leave with a full charge before heading home.

To the original poster....you may want to consider getting a set of dedicated winter tires if you feel the traction and grip of your all season tires isn't sufficient. Winter tires make a HUGE difference and provide you with much more confidence and stability. I'll probably go this winter season with my OEM all season tires, but I may consider dedicated winter tires next year.

There's no way around this. Yours is a heavy vehicle and a lot of mass to bring to a halt. You need winter tires. Winter tires don't cost much at all given that one set of each wear out half as quick as one set of all-seasons. Changeover fees are $200 a year. Storage may or may not cost you anything.

I echo the rest on checking the A/C setting. I had a traffic-full drive from Cambridge MA to NYC in 18 degree temps recently. With the cabin set to 69 degrees there was no problem maintaining perfect visibility. Stopping to supercharge fogged up the windows, but hitting cool defrost had them clear in about a minute.

Range does take a beating in the cold, but I suspect that's mostly from pushing through dense cold air rather than cabin heating (similar to how the rolling resistance of wet tires will eat range). I'm sure someone has done the math but I believe the battery drain from heating the cabin would be much less than the increased air resistance.

Took a look at the footwell vents and found a dislodged conduit on the driver’s side of my early build X. Maybe check for that as well if performance is not great.
In the pic there is one tab visible and there is another on the opposite side of the square conduit which is out of frame. Clearly, tab A is not in Slot B. If the conduit is not lined up with the garnish fenestration then some air is just going into the dash and not down towards the pedals.
8BEABDB4-BAF8-4380-8BC7-5B08E0E4EA30.jpeg