Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For winter, I'm running 19" Bridgestone Blizzaks. They perform great in Utah powder and frosty downhill runs to Park City. However, I take about a 10% hit in range relative to the 20" stocks. So, for your specific conditions, I would not have made it to the destination. And Nav always overestimates remaining charge until it's gotten several miles down the road. I've got it calibrated now.
But, I've also learned the hard way. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I also have the 19" Bizzaks and concur with your assessment. Excellent grip, but I'm seeing at least a 10% hit on efficiency as compared to the ContiSilents. I also see the exact issue you describe of the onboard computer fairly significantly over estimating range. On longer trips, I'm adding 15% more range when charging than what the computer states.
Still, the Blizzaks make a big difference on grip in the snow.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I also have the 19" Bizzaks and concur with your assessment. Excellent grip, but I'm seeing at least a 10% hit on efficiency as compared to the ContiSilents.
I’m wondering if anyone has compared energy usage between the stock all seasons and the Pirelli Scorpion Winter 19” tires or the Michelin X-Ice tires?

Pirelli https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...=265/45-20F+275/45-20R&cameFrom=WinterSection

Michelin X-Ice, would this be the size people have used on an X? https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ireModel=Latitude+X-Ice+Xi2&partnum=56TR9LXI2

No, the only 19" size I could get for the X (also got wheels) was: 265/50-R19.
I wanted Michelin X-Ice. Had them on my S and they were fantastic for my limited winter driving. Drove cross country in December with them. Excellent grip, but quieter than my all-seasons on the long stretch up I-15. Also, no noticeable range-loss.

I also have the 19" Bizzaks and concur with your assessment. Excellent grip, but I'm seeing at least a 10% hit on efficiency as compared to the ContiSilents. I also see the exact issue you describe of the onboard computer fairly significantly over estimating range. On longer trips, I'm adding 15% more range when charging than what the computer states.
Still, the Blizzaks make a big difference on grip in the snow.
Let me put some numbers to this. It's hard to completely isolate individual parameters, but the below should give a course approximation of the efficiency impact from the 19" Blizzak winter tires.
1. MX 75D. For the first 16 months and 21,000 miles I used the stock Continental ContiSilent all season tires. Over this period, using trip meters for different seasons, I recorded an average of 292 Wh/mi in warm and mild weather, and 330 Wh/mi in winter. Lifetime average since new was 310 Wh/mi.
2. At 21,000 miles I installed the Blizzaks. Over 3 months and 5,500 miles, I am averaging 377 Wh/mi. Lifetime average rose to 327 Wh/mi.
3. We had the car in the upper Midwest during the big freeze ( temps from -12 to +10 F) for 10 days during this period. But, the weather back home in Colorado has been abnormally warm and dry this winter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sparky