Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X winter experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know deliveries started quite recently, and many of them in sunny areas. But have anyone tested the Model X in winter conditions yet?

I`ve completed configuration, and have until 21st of march to adjust or cancel order.

But Tesla hasn`t released any detalis about winter testing as far as I`ve seen. And I haven`t read anything about owners doing winter tests.
I.e. snow and ice on the roof, snow from rear hatch sliding into car, sensors fooled by snow and/or ice like the parking sensors etc.
Yes I know the standard reply is "remove snow from roof, remove snow from hatch, buy another car etc. But I`m curios about how the car will work if you don`t take lots of precautions. Like being able to drive away with at thin layer of snow or ice on roof or hatch, operating the FWD in rough weather conditions etc. Using an ice scrape on the roof of the Model S was a new experience, but no big deal. Felt good to remove ice in the area where the roof glass meets the hatch glass. But the X is much taller, bigger and might need more thorough scraping/removing snow than the S?

Experience from the Model S shows that Tesla didn`t do any real winter testing, or they didn`t adjust after testing. Hopefully the X is better, but with no info available I`m a bit blind :)

@Oyvind.H:

I took delivery in late January, but other than "Snowmageddon" that occurred just prior to that there hasn't been any real opportunity to do much winter testing here this year (global warming?). Today the high was 72 degrees F, so my winter testing will probably be deferred to 2017.

FWIW, I have an issue for resolution at my first Service Center visit: heated wipers didn't melt the ice on them on the occasion the Model X was left outside overnight after freezing rain.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GottaGetRidOfICE
@Oyvind.H:

I took delivery in late January, but other than "Snowmageddon" that occurred just prior to that there hasn't been any real opportunity to do much winter testing here this year (global warming?). Today the high was 72 degrees F, so my winter testing will probably be deferred to 2017.

FWIW, I have an issue for resolution at my first Service Center visit: heated wipers didn't melt the ice on them on the occasion the Model X was left outside overnight after freezing rain.
IK that some S's have trouble melting the ice on the wipers too, might not be strong enough of a heater.

My first Model S didn`t have heated wipers, and I can`t say I missed it. Wipers and wiper fluid worked without problems throughout my ownership.
Maybe once or twice during the two winters I had the car I was in situations where I`d use them. The heat can on some occasions create more problems than they solve, and when I had a loaner December 2014 the heated wipers didn`t help at all in driving conditions that I thought they would help.
My new 2016 90D has been ordered with the winter pack because of heated rear seats (for my now older kids) and heated steeringwheel.

I drove mine around in 6-8 inches of snow in the Tahoe mountains, and later about 50 miles in 2-3 inches of snow in central Oregon, both times with 22" performance tires. Traction is at least as good as the P85D and ground clearance is better. A lot of snow collects in the wheel wells and around the doors but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Clearing fog off the windshield is faster than the P85D. Sometimes snow collects on the front bumper and prevents the cruise control from working (not that you'd want to), which also causes a lot of beeping when you first start out.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
A lot of snow collects in the wheel wells and around the doors but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Clearing fog off the windshield is faster than the P85D. Sometimes snow collects on the front bumper and prevents the cruise control from working (not that you'd want to), which also causes a lot of beeping when you first start out.
Several on the norwegian EV forum has been complaining about this on the Model S. The wheel well surface is too sticky, so the snow builds up. And with little room between the well and the wheel snow quickly packs and turns stone hard. There`s been reports of suspension out of play because the wheel has no room to move.
I`ve had some problems, but not to that extent.
This might be better with the X as I expect it to have more room in the wheel well.

By the time its available to you in NO it'll be fine.
The first ones are supposed to arrive in june (signatures). I guess ordinary production migth arrive from about august/september.

The first Model S` here in Norway had VIN 12-13-14.000 something. After 13-14.000 cars produced, the winter testing was something close to zero.

If the X windows have stronger motors, they stay clear of the chrome even if the windos is frozen, more space in the wheel well, and the FWD works flawlessly with snow/ice on the roof - then the X will be a great winter car :) At least if they start installing electric wiring that is properly sealed from water ingress unlike loads of the electronics in the older Model S`

Btw - took delivery of my 90D today. Amazing car. Leaning towards cancelling the X this monday.

Doesn't the Model X have plastic surrounding and underneath the wheel wells? Where as the Model S has this (annoying) fabric? It tends to stick more snow and ice build-up in fabric rather than plastic.

Looking at jackbowers picture, the snow build-up seems more underneath and alongside the car. In my Model S the snow clogges up everywhere under the wheel well. So to me it seems like an improvement, but I guess time will show.

IK that some S's have trouble melting the ice on the wipers too, might not be strong enough of a heater.
When I picked up my car from the Service Center last week, the head mechanic explained to me that the "wiper heater" is actually in the windshield glass. Its purpose is to free the wipers from any ice on the windshield, but it can't remove ice from the upper portion of the blade.

When I picked up my car from the Service Center last week, the head mechanic explained to me that the "wiper heater" is actually in the windshield glass. Its purpose is to free the wipers from any ice on the windshield, but it can't remove ice from the upper portion of the blade.

Yes, I was about to explain that too. The wiper itself is not heated. Instead, you can see an electrical defrost strip (like on a rear window) at the bottom of the windshield where the wiper rests.

So, ice on the wiper only melts if it can rest on the strip. Meaning, it can't work if the wipers are on full time (or even on a faster intermittent setting).

I can't speak to snow performance, but this morning (unseasonable 25 degrees in NJ) and after a software update that affected doors, only entry to car was through one FWD that still opened; others seemed frozen. Fwiw, that's a time when old-fashioned door handles were missed.

I rebooted twice, over-rode the phantom obstacle detected, finally convinced the driver's door to close, but still can't get the side mirrors to un-retract. Not very impressive showing.

ETA: SC was very helpful, and told me that "forcing" the mirrors wouldn't hurt anything. Did so, and all is finally well.

Last edited:
I can't speak to snow performance, but this morning (unseasonable 25 degrees in NJ) and after a software update that affected doors, only entry to car was through one FWD that still opened; others seemed frozen. Fwiw, that's a time when old-fashioned door handles were missed.

I rebooted twice, over-rode the phantom obstacle detected, finally convinced the driver's door to close, but still can't get the side mirrors to un-retract. Not very impressive showing.

ETA: SC was very helpful, and told me that "forcing" the mirrors wouldn't hurt anything. Did so, and all is finally well.

Hmm - as I await my X, your comment made me curious about a related topic. Can you tell the car to reboot from the app? It would seem to be helpful in cases like this. Anything requiring a hard reboot would presumably still need physical access to the inside of the car, but if doors are being unresponsive it would be nice to just tap the screen on the phone vs. prying things open.

Ironically, the wipers are almost below the heated stripes.
Actually below towards the middle of the car.

I think typically most of the freezing happens on and above the wiper blades, so hopefully that's why most of the heating elements are above. I just had to unstick my wiper blades on my F150 yesterday and I wish I was more observant at how they froze.

Heating it above the blade makes most sense since the melted ice will be warmer than 32° and drip down on the still frozen stuff and melt it too. If you heated it below the blade then it would never melt the ice on top of the blade. Also, above the blade allows it to push the warmer slushy ice over the rest of the windshield and help melt any ice there too.

Hmm - as I await my X, your comment made me curious about a related topic. Can you tell the car to reboot from the app? It would seem to be helpful in cases like this. Anything requiring a hard reboot would presumably still need physical access to the inside of the car, but if doors are being unresponsive it would be nice to just tap the screen on the phone vs. prying things open.
While it would not have helped today (the doors were literally frozen, not "software-frozen"), I think that's a good idea. This morning, it turns out, was caused by two things: physically frozen doors caused by rain followed by 25 degree cold, and a software update/install with a USB data storage device charging at the same time (who knew? But apparently that sometimes causes an issue).

Re reboot via the app: The commands in the app don't affect the safe operation of the vehicle (eg, honk horn, turn climate on/off, open charge port, etc.). I think one reason not to have reboot on the app would be the potential safety issues.