TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Winter Tire package?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by AdamSM, Feb 18, 2016.

1. AdamSM

AdamSM Member

Tesla has just posted a winter tire package for the Model X: Tesla Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Is this any good? What do people think of the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires? How does the pricing compare to buying four wheels, four winter tires, and such separately?

I'm not very informed on tire and wheel issues and wondered if anyone who is better informed would weigh in.

2. brianvicars

brianvicars Member

Does anyone know the difference between Telsa X turbine wheels & cyclone wheels? It appears my SigX will come with turbine wheels, but offers cyclone wheels for the winter. Although the diameter will be different, I was hoping to have identical fin patterns as in the turbine wheels.

3. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

The Cyclone was the name for their 19" wheels, and their 21" were called turbine. They have the same kind of shape, and they are both energy efficient (specially compared to the default wheel on the Model-S).

When Tesla talk about the maximum range or their model, it's always with the cyclone wheels. Details here: Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

4. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

The difference is in the arrangement of the 10 spokes. The Cyclones have them separated into pairs while the Turbines are evenly spaced. You can see them both in the Model S design studio.

5. EternalChampion

Has anyone ever validated the supposed 3% range efficiency upgrade the the Cyclones were supposed to give over the standard 19" wheels?