Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Tires - changing aspect OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model X LR with about 15K miles on it (picked up Nov '19) w/20" wheels and the original Conti tires. The tires / wheels are what came from the factory: 265/45/20 on front and the rear are 275/45/20.

I've recently moved from Texas to Colorado, and I'm learning about snow tires for the first time in my life. I've decided I do want a set of dedicated snow tires, not all-season tires and not studded tires. I'm still debating on whether I get a set of wheels with them or not.

I've been researching and have been considering the Hakka R3 SUV or the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires (from Discount Tire), or maybe the Blizzak DM-V2 from Tire Rack. In all of those options I would be sticking with the same setup (265 front, 275 rear).

I'm posting here primarily to get input / advice on an alternative setup. One of my neighbors has a really nice set of practically new Hakka R3's for sale (just tires, no wheels). They are all 275/50/20. So they would be a "square" winter tire setup, making the fronts slightly wider than what the car came with, and the sidewall aspect is slightly taller.

I see that many people go with a square setup for winter tires, does doing so present any concerns / challenges?

I haven't seen many people posting about a different aspect ratio on the tires, so I'm asking for insight there too. What, if any, concerns would you have about increasing from a 40 to 50 aspect (which I suppose is a bit more of a change when considering the front tires are also going from 265 to 275 width)?

I have a 2020 Model X LR with about 15K miles on it (picked up Nov '19) w/20" wheels and the original Conti tires. The tires / wheels are what came from the factory: 265/45/20 on front and the rear are 275/45/20.

I've recently moved from Texas to Colorado, and I'm learning about snow tires for the first time in my life. I've decided I do want a set of dedicated snow tires, not all-season tires and not studded tires. I'm still debating on whether I get a set of wheels with them or not.

I've been researching and have been considering the Hakka R3 SUV or the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires (from Discount Tire), or maybe the Blizzak DM-V2 from Tire Rack. In all of those options I would be sticking with the same setup (265 front, 275 rear).

I'm posting here primarily to get input / advice on an alternative setup. One of my neighbors has a really nice set of practically new Hakka R3's for sale (just tires, no wheels). They are all 275/50/20. So they would be a "square" winter tire setup, making the fronts slightly wider than what the car came with, and the sidewall aspect is slightly taller.

I see that many people go with a square setup for winter tires, does doing so present any concerns / challenges?

I haven't seen many people posting about a different aspect ratio on the tires, so I'm asking for insight there too. What, if any, concerns would you have about increasing from a 40 to 50 aspect (which I suppose is a bit more of a change when considering the front tires are also going from 265 to 275 width)?
I don't have a square setup because an SA (apparently mis)informed me that this would require SC intervention with each swap-out. My understanding at this point is that was incorrect. That having been said, if the square setup makes your front tires wider or taller, you might run the risk of rubbing, all the time or during sharper turns, so a test fit would be advisable. Personally, I got an extra set of wheels so I can change them myself and not involve the SC or a tire place. My winter tire setup came from Tesla with wheels. It seemed like a steal to me considering the prices I've seen for OEM wheels from other makes. At that time, the service center told me I had to order them through the online Tesla shop to get that price even though they'd ship to the service center for installation (the SA said they couldn't get the four wheels and tires for that price, much less mount the tires to the rims, balance them, and install them to the vehicle). A LOT has changed since then, but I'd still recommend at least checking out the pricing in the Tesla online shop.

Nokian calls for 265/50-19 snow tires for the Model X on their website. That is also
the consensus of “everyone else”. Speaking from experience, putting the stock 275/45R20 on the front will cause a very annoying rubbing sound on somewhat sharp turns.Your neighbor’s tires are even a bit larger so that would be a definite no-go in my mind. I have a square setup of my snow tires with 265/50 19. I love having a second set of wheels. See if you can find a tire store that will store your offseason wheels for you!

T430685
NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV
265/50-19

(I actually have the HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV but they are no longer available).

Last edited:
I'm a BIG fan of going narrower and taller for winter tires. SO many advantages. Narrower goes through snow better than wider, so right there getting the most bang for the buck of switching tires. Plus, winters generally don't roll as well as summer tires, so range takes a hit. BUT taller 19's make up for a bit of that hit, just like how 20--->22's HURTS ranges, 20-->19 can only help and when cold, we need all the help we can get with avoiding range loss. ( I speak of cold range loss in my Volt, as I don't have a Tesla. Yet....)

I would not go all square with 275 20's. Would go square with the 265 50 19's. Narrower and Taller = good. Plus its what Tesla put on the winter package for the X. (Heck, Nokian makes the R3 SUV in 245-55/19s. Load rating 107 is up to the heavy X, so I would look at that myself as really a fan of going as narrow as possible while changing aspect ratio to keep overall size the size.)

And the R3 SUV Hakkas are GREAT tires. HIGHLY recommend. Heard about them from my Canadian Friend's in Dawson Creek BC. They really like them and who knows snow tires better than a bunch of Canadians :) ? Great on snow, slush, ice, etc. We run R3's on my Volt, son's Volt, Daughters Niro, and R3 SUVs on wife's Caddy SRX. They are a 'low rolling resistance' winter if there is such a thing, also.

Last edited: