Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Tires from Tire Rack. Initial feedback.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DA167FCC-9F75-4775-A870-14B617C0EEA5.jpeg
2ADCAF0C-677B-45E0-B636-4BC9F932D587.jpeg
2921B723-6DDF-4AED-81E5-CD06DB6C694B.jpeg
85584062-1CF6-4347-A971-A5CACB8D95BE.jpg
Hi All,
I purchased a low coat set of tires & Rims from Tire Rack for my 2017 model X. They arrived quicky, and I just had time this Saturday with my 8 ton bottle jack to install them. So far so good.
I purchased Yokohama 19” tires and WX5 black painted rims. My OEM rims are 20” and front/rear 20” are different size tires.
For a 19” set all tires are the same.
I purchased TPMS sensors and talked with TireRack these TPMS sensors are made by Continental.
After putting the car at very high suspension and JACK mode. Then removing al the but caps and loosening all the lug nuts I began jacking the car.
The Yokohama G075 Icegard Tire’s came balanced with the new TPMS sensors installed. Tires are labeled “driver side” and “passenger side”. I assume this is due to siping or balancing.
Jacking the car was uneventful. I did place a small rectangular shim under the jack pad.
The Tire Rack rims came with lugg nuts and lug keys (lugs nuts are anti-theft).
I went to “service@ wheels and changed the car wheel configuration from 20” to 19” and the car indicated it would reboot after this. There was no specific TPMS reset selection as was mentioned in a YouTube video I had seen. I suspect newer software explains this..
After reboot, I drove about 3-5 miles at ~45-55 miles and the TPMS indicators started changing from “—“ to 35psi about 3-5 minutes into the drive. The front tires
responded first then rear with left right tire showing up last.

I’m not 100% convinced I need winter tires, but the idea of having a second set of rims so I can take my summer tires in for replacement as needed and stretch the summer tires mileage was worth $1980 or so to me. I expect it to be extra cold this window with more ice/snow here in the Portland area this winter.

Reviews told me the Blizzak from tire rack or the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 that Bjorn any land uses would be good for the mountain passes up here...but I was too cheap to spend the extra $$ this year.
Yokohama G075 Iceguards are too new to have reviews or solid performance data. There were some reviews indicating road noise would be bad, but so far at 45-55 the noise is not significantly louder than the factory all season tires.

Last edited:
How is the road noise?
Have driven in the tires for a few weeks and road noise isn’t really noticeably louder. There is a tire noise and it’s different, but you have to have the radio off to notice it. Not at all like say large truck tires.
Haven’t had any snow down in the PDX area yet, but up at Mt Hood and on the Coast range we did get snow Tuesday.