Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we just had our first dusting of snow in Northeast Pennsylvania, I am now considering the purchase of snow tires for my X. I was less than impressed with the couple months of winter driving I had with the car when I got it in early 2017 with the Michelin Latitude Sport all seasons. My experience on the slick, snow covered roads last night was similar--namely lots of sliding and around. I have the 20" helix wheels and am considering The Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires (255/45R20 and 275/45R20). Anyone have experience with these on an X? My wife has them on a Volvo XC90 and they are pretty much shot after 1 season of winter driving. I would rather not downsize to a smaller winter tire/wheel package as the car is leased and I would be stuck with the wheels after my lease is over.

Thanks very much!

Reactions: Rossy
I have the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires (255/45R20 and 275/45R20), they seem quite good so far. More snow due this evening, so will be out testing them. I have plenty of experience with Nokian R2, and also with Pirelli Ice Zero FR, so it will be interesting to see how these Scorpions work.

Coincidentally, I've been running the Tesla 19" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion tyres package for over 1000 miles. I've posted the following summary recently on Speak EV so re-posting here is probably breaking rules - but here goes anyway! I am UK based so this may of limited relevance here.

At £2800 this is an expensive option but considering the bare wheels are priced at over £620 each, the whole package is very good value IMO. I remind myself that winter tyres are essentially 'free' anyway as they just extend the life of the summer tyres. This was also an opportunity to leave two of my existing wheels with the Service Centre to have them refurbished to get rid of some rim scuffs.

The first impression when driving at motorway speeds (and it's an immediate "wow") is that the road noise is much reduced compared to the Michelin Sport 3 on standard 20" wheels. I will do some accurate noise measurements at different speeds which I'll compare with the Michelins when they go back on next Spring. Second impression is that the ride is slightly softer but that is to be expected as the tyres 'balloon' out from the rims more than with the 20" standard tyres, a side benefit of which is that 'kerb rash' is much less likely. Under hard acceleration from standing, there is a bit more squirm but perfectly controllable and acceptable. At risk of sounding boring I actually prefer the slightly softer ride as I think it suits the car well. With the summer tyres, my preference was to have the steering response set to 'sport' but with the softer tyres I think 'standard' better suits the 'new' handling characteristics.

Handling and grip at speed, on wet roads, seems comparable to the Michelins and I've put this to the test on a few twisty routes into North Wales over the last few weeks during cold, wet conditions, though so far no snow or ice! If anything, I would say that there is slightly more oversteer with the winter tyres, presumably due to the squishier profile and softer compound responding to a rearward weight bias, but the handling remains superb and inspires confidence. A few weeks ago I was on the A494 and caught up with a Lotus Exige. Once the driver saw me he took off but I kept up easily even though he was trying hard. We both pulled into the car park at Bala Lake and he came over to ask "what the **** is that?". He hadn't seen a Tesla in the flesh before.

Off-road grip seems better with less slipping and sliding on soft ground, wet grass and deep mud.

Only downside as far as I can tell so far (besides having to find space to store the summer wheels/tyres) appears to be reduced range compared to the summer tyres. Energy consumption is now around 500 Wh/mile compared to 420 or so over the same journeys, so about 20% increase, which I'll need to factor in. This was in cold weather, however, between 2 and 7 degrees Celsius, so the increased consumption could be due to other cold-weather factors. I'll look at this in more detail when I've had time to do a more like-for-like comparison.

In summary, I can recommend the Tesla winter package albeit based on moderately good road conditions so far. I have a few work-related trips into Scotland and a few more to Snowdonia coming up this winter so hoping for a more 'realistic' test soon.

@Sound, I'd wager that the reduced range is primarily due to cold weather since heating (both battery and cabin) causes a significant load on the battery. Rain, snow and cold dense air will also further impact range.

There is a range gain going from 22" to 20", so extrapolating I would thing there may be a slight gain (assuming same temperature/weather) when going to 19" rims.

And I wish I could see the look on that Lotus owner's face!!

Coincidentally, I've been running the Tesla 19" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion tyres package for over 1000 miles. I've posted the following summary recently on Speak EV so re-posting here is probably breaking rules - but here goes anyway! I am UK based so this may of limited relevance here.

At £2800 this is an expensive option but considering the bare wheels are priced at over £620 each, the whole package is very good value IMO. I remind myself that winter tyres are essentially 'free' anyway as they just extend the life of the summer tyres. This was also an opportunity to leave two of my existing wheels with the Service Centre to have them refurbished to get rid of some rim scuffs.

The first impression when driving at motorway speeds (and it's an immediate "wow") is that the road noise is much reduced compared to the Michelin Sport 3 on standard 20" wheels. I will do some accurate noise measurements at different speeds which I'll compare with the Michelins when they go back on next Spring. Second impression is that the ride is slightly softer but that is to be expected as the tyres 'balloon' out from the rims more than with the 20" standard tyres, a side benefit of which is that 'kerb rash' is much less likely. Under hard acceleration from standing, there is a bit more squirm but perfectly controllable and acceptable. At risk of sounding boring I actually prefer the slightly softer ride as I think it suits the car well. With the summer tyres, my preference was to have the steering response set to 'sport' but with the softer tyres I think 'standard' better suits the 'new' handling characteristics.

Handling and grip at speed, on wet roads, seems comparable to the Michelins and I've put this to the test on a few twisty routes into North Wales over the last few weeks during cold, wet conditions, though so far no snow or ice! If anything, I would say that there is slightly more oversteer with the winter tyres, presumably due to the squishier profile and softer compound responding to a rearward weight bias, but the handling remains superb and inspires confidence. A few weeks ago I was on the A494 and caught up with a Lotus Exige. Once the driver saw me he took off but I kept up easily even though he was trying hard. We both pulled into the car park at Bala Lake and he came over to ask "what the **** is that?". He hadn't seen a Tesla in the flesh before.

Off-road grip seems better with less slipping and sliding on soft ground, wet grass and deep mud.

Only downside as far as I can tell so far (besides having to find space to store the summer wheels/tyres) appears to be reduced range compared to the summer tyres. Energy consumption is now around 500 Wh/mile compared to 420 or so over the same journeys, so about 20% increase, which I'll need to factor in. This was in cold weather, however, between 2 and 7 degrees Celsius, so the increased consumption could be due to other cold-weather factors. I'll look at this in more detail when I've had time to do a more like-for-like comparison.

In summary, I can recommend the Tesla winter package albeit based on moderately good road conditions so far. I have a few work-related trips into Scotland and a few more to Snowdonia coming up this winter so hoping for a more 'realistic' test soon.
Thanks for the consumption report. This could be an important factor if we do any towing this winter.

@Sound, I'd wager that the reduced range is primarily due to cold weather since heating (both battery and cabin) causes a significant load on the battery. Rain, snow and cold dense air will also further impact range.

There is a range gain going from 22" to 20", so extrapolating I would thing there may be a slight gain (assuming same temperature/weather) when going to 19" rims.

And I wish I could see the look on that Lotus owner's face!!

The reason for range change is not RIM size. It's what tire you use.

I just switched from 20" Continental Staggered that came with Raven to the 19" Snow Package Square.

Like the above comment, WOW are these things quiet !! I like the 19" wheel better than the 20" too. I wish I could run this setup year round.

They are fantastic in the snow (coming from a Jeep GC Summit owner with Nokian Snow tires).

Almost impossible to judge efficiency in the winter. You just have no idea when the battery is done heating.

Only big question is how long will the Pirelli Snow tires last and perform over time.

Nokian's lasted forever, I never had to replace a set.

I just had to replace mine from the winter tire kit I used in 17/18 and 18/19 winters. When Tesla swapped them earlier this year, they didn’t bother telling me the rear ones had worn through. I had an alignment done at the time, and again this time. Was told it was significantly off. Strange for a car used primarily in town. $1500 later, I have a new set.

But I definitely agree, the car with these tires is brilliant in snow.

I just had to replace mine from the winter tire kit I used in 17/18 and 18/19 winters. When Tesla swapped them earlier this year, they didn’t bother telling me the rear ones had worn through. I had an alignment done at the time, and again this time. Was told it was significantly off. Strange for a car used primarily in town. $1500 later, I have a new set.

But I definitely agree, the car with these tires is brilliant in snow.

So are these the 19” Pirelli Scorpions
Winter? And you only got 2 seasons out of them. How many miles were on them?

That is my one worry is how long they will last. I’m used to Nokian’s that I’d run for life of the car. Probably 40-50K miles.

Every two seasons gets way to expensive.

Do you think it was the bad alignment that prematurely wore them out?

BTW it is around town that usually kills alignment. Potholes, curbs obscured by snow etc.

Anyone have thoughts on using the original 20" Silver Slipstream Wheels for winter tires? I ask because I have an extra set of those wheels (long story).

That's exactly what I did. I'm in Northwest Pennsylvania so snow tires are essential in winter. I found a slightly used set of Pirelli Scorpion Winters on craigslist and had Tesla mount them on the original 20" slipstreams. Then I bought a set of 22" turbine wheels which I plan to put Michelin PS4S on. It's easier to just bolt on the wheels rather than re-mount the tires each season.

Any updates on snow tires? The easiest solution is the Pirellis on 19" wheels. any reason to look at other options?

I am in Maine, so real snow is an issue. I also have chains, used a few times in severe conditions, but would like to have good winter tires all winter.

I will be towing a trailer; will the Scorpions be fine for a 3000 lb trailer, 400 lb tongue weight?

Are the 19" wheels an advantage, or just get a spare set on the 20" rims (front and back)?

Do I need to get them installed at a Service Center (4 hours away) or can my local tire place install them? Anything tricky about the air pressure sensors?

I’d just get any winter set - rims and tires. You don’t even have to get the Tesla kit, although I found them price competitive. Then have them swapped as necessary. It’s a 15 minute job at any tire place and I’ve never had an issue with TPMS sensors or other install issues. I do believe you have to pick them up from a SC.

Last edited:
I’d just get any winter set - rims and tires. You don’t even have to get the Tesla kit, although I found them price competitive. Then have them swapped as necessary. It’s a 15 minute job at any tire place and I’ve never had an issue with TPMS sensors or other install issues. I do believe you have to pick them up from a SC.

Mobile Tech delivered mine :) He offered to install and I passed.
The Tesla set is awesome, it was worth the wait.

LOL, 15 minutes is exactly why I NEVER let a tire shop swap my tires on any car.

Did they bag the filthy wheels before carefully putting them in your car in that 15 minutes?
How long did it take you to load them in your car?
How long did it take you to get there?
How long did it take you to get an appointment?
How much did it cost you?
How long did you wait before they took the car (especially in the fall when a storm is coming)?
How long did it take to you get home?
How long did it take to you to unload them?
Did they check the pressure on all the wheels in that 15 minutes?
Did they torque them in that 15 minutes?
Did you install the lift pucks or just let them wing it (in that 15 minutes)?
Did they label the wheels that came off in that 15 minutes?
Did they check the labels on the wheels you gave them and rotate them in the same manner as the last guy?

I highly doubt they did in 15 minutes. But yeah, it's rush rush rush and they don't give a *sugar* about your car. I do.

Takes me about an hour (way LESS TIME) and that includes washing the back side of each wheel, labeling the ones that come off and Torquing them.