Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks - looks like my EU MX Plaid is arriving beginning of December

I currently have an XP100DL+ with the 22" Onyx for summer and a 20" winter wheel set

Does anyone here know if the old MX wheels fit the new MX and if the XP staggered set is suitable for the Plaid?

Cheers!

Hi Folks - looks like my EU MX Plaid is arriving beginning of December

I currently have an XP100DL+ with the 22" Onyx for summer and a 20" winter wheel set

Does anyone here know if the old MX wheels fit the new MX and if the XP staggered set is suitable for the Plaid?

Cheers!
I would think the 20 winter should fit. I have some S 19 I used for a winter package on the 2020 X and they DON'T clear the front brakes by /16 inch on the 2022 X. SUCKS. But your 20s should have clearance.

You WILL need to get bluetooth TPMS sensors installed, as the old ones are at the wrong frequency. Thanks Tesla!

Last edited:
I have full set of 265/50R19 winter wheel and tires(bought from Tire Rack) which was using for my 2017 X. Can I still use it on refreshed X? I asked tire rack, they confirmed I can. But I don't see Tesla is selling any 19 inch winter tire/wheel package any more.

Current issue I am aware of is
1. TPMS needs to be replaced. (400 dollars)
2. Wheel configuration doesn't have 19 inch. The speedometer will be wrong...

Welcome to provide any feedback.

Warning, it depends! My 19 inch Tempests from a model S fit my 2020 MX but don't clear the brake calipers by 1/16 of an inch on the 22 MXLR. These were never official rims for the MX but I bought for winters as the aero cover had to help with the range loss. Official MX winter package rims from before? I don't know if they will work on refresh. After market rims? Depends on offset and metal thickness if will hit break calipers. My Tempests were SO close to fitting.

As for 19 on the screen. Car doesn't care except my package and official winters were the same size for all 4 tires. Summers are wider and bigger round on rear. Assume setting to 19s told computer they were same size. The 22 MS has been reported to work fine with winters all the same size. So that's what I bought for the 22 in 20inch size, all 4 the same so I can rotate them for wear yearly. Getting put on this week.

Reactions: Pricedm
Fyi, 2022 MXLR did not fit MS 19" Tempest Areo rims on the front by 1/16" brake clearance.

I bought used Slipstream 20" (silver ones from older MX). I bought 4 'front' 9" wide rims so I could use 265/45R20 on all 4 locations. This allows the rims to be rotated front to back each year. Bought 4 new Bluetooth TPMS sensors.

Fit great, look good and the car drives just fine with 4 same size tires. Have driven on snow, ice, and dry. Didn't change anything in the screen and car learned new TPMS in about 1 minute of driving.
PXL_20221201_144519179.jpg

Reactions: Pricedm and Fiver
Fyi, 2022 MXLR did not fit MS 19" Tempest Areo rims on the front by 1/16" brake clearance.

I bought used Slipstream 20" (silver ones from older MX). I bought 4 'front' 9" wide rims so I could use 265/45R20 on all 4 locations. This allows the rims to be rotated front to back each year. Bought 4 new Bluetooth TPMS sensors.

Fit great, look good and the car drives just fine with 4 same size tires. Have driven on snow, ice, and dry. Didn't change anything in the screen and car learned new TPMS in about 1 minute of driving. View attachment 882031

Four fronts is the way to go.

Kinda unrelated, but what kind of range loss do you see during the winter? I'll be taking my car to ski this winter.

Four fronts is the way to go.

Kinda unrelated, but what kind of range loss do you see during the winter? I'll be taking my car to ski this winter.
Depending on the temp, pretty bad. I keep a spreadsheet of long trips. I then extrapolate 100->0 total range. If I get 323 miles real range in summer on this same trip, got 187 miles at 4 deg f with a 20 mph gusty headwind. Using 72deg inside and car preheated battery for charging pretty much the whole 2 hours. Return from same charger, 28 deg, 5 mph tail wind got 270 miles 100->0 range, so much better.

Depending on the temp, pretty bad. I keep a spreadsheet of long trips. I then extrapolate 100->0 total range. If I get 323 miles real range in summer on this same trip, got 187 miles at 4 deg f with a 20 mph gusty headwind. Using 72deg inside and car preheated battery for charging pretty much the whole 2 hours. Return from same charger, 28 deg, 5 mph tail wind got 270 miles 100->0 range, so much better.

Good idea. I use roughly 2.5mi/% for daily driving. It'll be nice to have a rough mi/% for winter.

One thing I don't totally understand: Is it correct that the range is reduced when the battery is cold (reduced winter range). But, once the battery warms up, the range will increase? Meaning, as I come down the mountain and it warms up from freezing to 60-70s, my range will increase as well?

Good idea. I use roughly 2.5mi/% for daily driving. It'll be nice to have a rough mi/% for winter.

One thing I don't totally understand: Is it correct that the range is reduced when the battery is cold (reduced winter range). But, once the battery warms up, the range will increase? Meaning, as I come down the mountain and it warms up from freezing to 60-70s, my range will increase as well?
Yes.

Precondition on cold days. Anything below 40-45 if you are charging overnight. Can’t say what’s more efficient when you are not plugged in. But you would have next to no regen breaking heading down the mountain after a day of skiing.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
I'd think you'd want to precon for max efficiency, even if you're not plugged in, to make sure you are getting regen, so that charging the battery with up to 75kw of regen helps keep the battery warm on the way down, and obviously recoups energy as well, even if it means you burn 5-10% just sitting there with the battery heaters on before you leave.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Precondition on cold days. Anything below 40-45 if you are charging overnight. Can’t say what’s more efficient when you are not plugged in. But you would have next to no regen breaking heading down the mountain after a day of skiing.

Unfortunately not an option for day trips. But, will defintely try to stay plugged in (even on 110) if I'm at a rental. I guess I could top off at the SC to pick up a little energy and warm up the battery for regen, but I have no issue using my brakes.

Reactions: EbS-P
Whats everyone experience with winter tires in the rain?

I've yet to drive on snow but in rain i feel like my winter tires are much worse than all season ones.

265/275 staggered on 20in with Pirelli Scorpion/Toyo Observe G3 Ice (no studs)

Whats everyone experience with winter tires in the rain?

I've yet to drive on snow but in rain i feel like my winter tires are much worse than all season ones.

265/275 staggered on 20in with Pirelli Scorpion/Toyo Observe G3 Ice (no studs)

Never really had any issues with snows in the rain. When I lived in Seattle I would run my winters from Oct/Nov through spring skiing.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston