Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Winter Wheels and TIres 19 x 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, any one has recommendations about the 19x8.5 wheels for a winter set up for Model X. Are these wheels different from the 19x8.5 that go on the Model S ? I have not been able to specifically find a set of these rated for my Model X. All the listing I have seen are 19 x 8.5 fromModel S. Can someone guide me to a reasonably priced option. Tesla has a 19 x 8.5 set of 4 tires for 2800, there must be other options. We have a 2017 Model X.
Thanks again.

Reactions: Rossy
Hi, any one has recommendations about the 19x8.5 wheels for a winter set up for Model X. Are these wheels different from the 19x8.5 that go on the Model S ? I have not been able to specifically find a set of these rated for my Model X. All the listing I have seen are 19 x 8.5 fromModel S. Can someone guide me to a reasonably priced option. Tesla has a 19 x 8.5 set of 4 tires for 2800, there must be other options. We have a 2017 Model X.
Thanks again.
If you care about snow and ice performance I would recommend 19 inch option from Tesla. It is 19x8.5, cheaper tires which can be rotated, and better snow traction. On Model S, there was a 19 inch cyclone wheel option which looked similar to Model X winter set, but it was actually 19x8.0 and can't be used for Model X.

Of course you can find any other 19x8.5 wheels with enough weight rating for Model X.

Does anyone have any specs on energy efficiency and overall range difference between a 19" wheel and the 22" wheel on a Model X?

I have a MX 75D with 22" wheels, and my energy efficiency and range in the winter is TERRIBLE! Of the 237 mile range I would optimally get, in the winter with my car, I may get 160 mile range with normal highway driving. It's the ski trips to VT that kill me! I need to spend at least an hour at a Supercharger just to make the 230 mile trip btw Greenwich, CT and Okemo Mountain.

Maybe with a 19" setup it would make a noticeable difference in range? I realize the deficiency from the cold weather would still be a constant factor.

TSW
SEBRING
19 X8.5 5-120.00 35 SLGLMS
Item# 50267
$264.00
The wheel capacity is 2000lbs, but the bore is 76.
These have a larger center bore than the Tesla winter wheels, but could you use adapter rings to fit them, something like these:
Although, I think the ID needs to be smaller.....

Gorilla Automotive 76-6706 Wheel Hub Centric Rings (76mm OD x 67.06mm ID) - Pack of 4

Does anyone have any specs on energy efficiency and overall range difference between a 19" wheel and the 22" wheel on a Model X?

I have a MX 75D with 22" wheels, and my energy efficiency and range in the winter is TERRIBLE! Of the 237 mile range I would optimally get, in the winter with my car, I may get 160 mile range with normal highway driving. It's the ski trips to VT that kill me! I need to spend at least an hour at a Supercharger just to make the 230 mile trip btw Greenwich, CT and Okemo Mountain.

Maybe with a 19" setup it would make a noticeable difference in range? I realize the deficiency from the cold weather would still be a constant factor.

From what I have read on the forums, there are a lot of mixed reviews. There are several people stating the wheel size did nothing for their range values, but they could now carry a spare. There is a chart with mixed Model S and X range values with various sized tires, but I never saw them factoring in the temperature, weather, or all of the elevation changes that took place while driving and it was all individually reported. Not the best data collection method.
Cold weather with precipitation (and wind) is just going to take down your range and cause longer charging times. Cold weather charging is covered somewhere, but it always adds time to a charge, especially at a Super Charger. Extreme heat ( over 101) can also cause charging delays.

Larger wheels wear tires out faster is about the only common statement I have found. And the rear wheels on an X seem to wear faster than the front with a staggered configuration, but it gives better handling. So your tire life would be extended with a smaller wheel size, you could rotate the tires, and you would be able to keep your best used tire as a spare if all of your tires were 19". Several people insist you would also save over 10% range if you went from a 22" set up to anything smaller. Other posters say it is less than a 5% difference and not worth it for range. So if you get 295 in range you might gain 3 miles.
A search will pull up most of this, although sometimes the threads go off topic and mention interesting perspectives. I have been reading posts, but this is only my 2nd or 3rd post. I had a flat on a trip and wanted to know if you could go to a 19" wheel configuration since they have that set-up for the winter tires. If they were all balanced and aligned at 19" and had similar tread you would not have to buy a set just because your tire took a screw to the sidewall --would make repairs on the road a lot easier.

It's not just the tire size that affect range it's also the weight of the rim. It's ok to go 19's all around. Just make sure rims can handle the weight. You can then rotate your tires and they should last longer. winter range?? That's a tottally different beast, cold kills your range. Honestly not sure you would notice much difference in range with 19's. Find a lighter 19 than our stock 20's I guess

Reactions: Behind

I can talk only about my experiences but I have X P100D with 22 inch Goodyear max performance summer tires for summer (obviously), and 19 inch Bridgestone Blizzak winter studless tires for winter. In Tokyo where I live usually no snow so winter tires are just backup and as usual Japanese are careful species :)

I typically get about 10 percent range gain in winter (no snow without AC). Tesla says the difference between 22 and 20 inches is 15 percent, but I also have used 20 inch tires and didn't feel that way - I mean, 22 inch is not that bad. Maybe in the US or Europe where your average speed is higher, range hit may be bigger.

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum and Behind
The rim capacity of a replacement wheel has to be over 1896 lbs/wheel in order to satisfy Tesla's specs, correct? So a 19 x 8.5 wheel rated for 2000 lbs would be fine. Or so I gather from the gross rear axle specs.

Maybe I should contact the service center and see how much the wheels alone would be....$1700 is like $300 more than the ones I was looking at but it would make my tire place happier if I stayed with the manufacturer's wheels. They keep saying I have an exotic car and I should buy the wheels from the car manufacturer, I think because they have no specs for the 19" wheel on a Model X. I thought Tesla only sold them as a package deal for $2800--and I do not need winter tires.

Can someone please clarify a few things for me?

I read somewhere that if something goes wrong with the car the service center/advisor could point to the 3rd party wheels or non-OE tires and deny coverage under warranty. Is this true?

Is it possible to just buy the 19" Wheels and Winter Tires package from Tesla and install it myself when I need them? Or take it to my local tire place and have them do it?

Does the original Continental tires that come with the 20" staggered wheels have that foam in it to make them quieter? if so, would a regular tire installation place know what to do with it (the foam) if I ask them to put winter tires on my original 20" wheels?

They can't deny your warranty claim because of aftermarket rims, unless the rim broke while your driving and messed the suspension up or something in that manner.

Yes you can buy the winter wheel package and install wherever you choose to.

Yes the contis have foam. The foam is glued in the tire, tire is removed it comes off too..

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and Behind
They can't deny your warranty claim because of aftermarket rims, unless the rim broke while your driving and messed the suspension up or something in that manner.

Yes you can buy the winter wheel package and install wherever you choose to.

Yes the contis have foam. The foam is glued in the tire, tire is removed it comes off too..

Thank you!!!

Im interested to see how the stock Conti's work in the winter here in Chicago. Actually, I've never owned winter tires ever... just all season do well enough. Though they salt the roads heavy and most of the driving is urban so there's not much demand on the tires.

These are replica of the 22 inch X rims. I bought 20 inch from tspotline but they don't make 19 inch.... This company does I know there are people here who have bought from them. Buying rims from Tesla is too expensive I think.

EVT Wheel for Tesla Model X ("Turbine" Style)

Those wheels are only rated for 1650 lbs. I thought the load capacity had to match half of the gross rear axle weight (3792/2= 1896 lbs wheel capacity needed for a Model x 90 D, so I assume it is needed for a 100D also)?

Those wheels are only rated for 1650 lbs. I thought the load capacity had to match half of the gross rear axle weight (3792/2= 1896 lbs wheel capacity needed for a Model x 90 D, so I assume it is needed for a 100D also)?

I think your right, although they state it is for the X. Better be safe than sorry.

I just noticed Tsportline now sells 19 inch Rims for the X. Weren't there last time I checked. They seem to only sell them as a package with pirelli scorpion winter tires.

Here is my Tsportline referral for $50 off
T Sportline - Tesla Model S, X & 3 Aftermarket Accessories

Their quality is good, I like their rims. Wait till they have a sale going on, ussually around any type of holiday

Reactions: Behind
I can talk only about my experiences but I have X P100D with 22 inch Goodyear max performance summer tires for summer (obviously), and 19 inch Bridgestone Blizzak winter studless tires for winter. In Tokyo where I live usually no snow so winter tires are just backup and as usual Japanese are careful species :)

I typically get about 10 percent range gain in winter (no snow without AC). Tesla says the difference between 22 and 20 inches is 15 percent, but I also have used 20 inch tires and didn't feel that way - I mean, 22 inch is not that bad. Maybe in the US or Europe where your average speed is higher, range hit may be bigger.

What wheels did you go with for your 19's? Did you have to use any special adapters or spacers for proper fit?