Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X wish list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thoroughly enjoying the Model X experience – but after two months, there are definitely things I wish were different:

1. Bird’s Eye View
Many high-end cars have this, and once you’ve had it, going without it is difficult. It makes parking significantly easier and safer.

2. Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
Again, it’s a common feature in luxury (and lower) cars. This too is an important safely feature.

3. UNtinted Rear Window
In low light, (dusk, or night, or cloudy days), it’s difficult to see what’s behind you. I hate this tint! It should be an option. (Or is it a tinted rear-view mirror? I can’t tell.)

4. “Regular” windshield
There’s a “wow” factor to the large windshield, but when driving into the sun on a winding road, the visor isn’t effective. That’s a safety issue.

5. AM Radio
Millions of people (like me) listen to news and sports on AM. Yes, you can find some alternative ways to hear some stations, but it’s a pain, and not all inclusive.

6. Full set of plug adapters
As it says on the Tesla Shop site: “With all seven Gen 2 NEMA adapters in one convenient storage bag, you can charge at any available outlet, at home or on the road.”
Being able to charge when travelling isn’t a luxury, it’s vital, and it should be included.

7. A Key Fob with a ring.
It’s minor, but an annoyance. I get a luxury car and then have to spend $18 to purchase what every other fob in the world has – a ring to attach other keys to (or to hang on the valet’s wall).

8. A Visor that swivels to block the sun on the side window – for both driver and front passenger.

Again, it’s something that every other car has. And in some situations, it’s a safety issue.

9. Hands-free trunk opening. Just about every SUV out there has it.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the Model X experience – but after two months, there are definitely things I wish were different:

1. Bird’s Eye View
Many high-end cars have this, and once you’ve had it, going without it is difficult. It makes parking significantly easier and safer.

Again, it’s a common feature in luxury (and lower) cars. This too is an important safely feature.

3. UNtinted Rear Window
In low light, (dusk, or night, or cloudy days), it’s difficult to see what’s behind you. I hate this tint! It should be an option. (Or is it a tinted rear-view mirror? I can’t tell.)

4. “Regular” windshield
There’s a “wow” factor to the large windshield, but when driving into the sun on a winding road, the visor isn’t effective. That’s a safety issue.

5. AM Radio
Millions of people (like me) listen to news and sports on AM. Yes, you can find some alternative ways to hear some stations, but it’s a pain, and not all inclusive.

As it says on the Tesla Shop site: “With all seven Gen 2 NEMA adapters in one convenient storage bag, you can charge at any available outlet, at home or on the road.”
Being able to charge when travelling isn’t a luxury, it’s vital, and it should be included.

It’s minor, but an annoyance. I get a luxury car and then have to spend $18 to purchase what every other fob in the world has – a ring to attach other keys to (or to hang on the valet’s wall).

8. A Visor that swivels to block the sun on the side window – for both driver and front passenger.

Again, it’s something that every other car has. And in some situations, it’s a safety issue.

+1 for # 1,2,8 and 9. Hopefully we get it in some update :)

Reactions: Kweber!
I agree with all of them except including every adapter. Nothing stopping you from buying those yourself. Silly to include all of them that most people will never need. I have the 2 that were included (15A 120V and the 14-50) and have not used either in 1.3 years and 15K miles. I’ve only used the one I bought (14-30). That’s how it will be for most folks.

I think what they have done (120V only) is encourage folks towards a wall connector for their primary home charger. That’s what they should really include (a wall connector). because it is one of the cleanest, most flexible and safest solutions.

1. Bird’s Eye View

3. UNtinted Rear Window

4. “Regular” windshield

5. AM Radio

I too find the heavily-tinted rear window unusable- it’s just too dark for me to see what’s behind me. I even had them swap out the rear view mirror but it made no difference. I checked with the SC manager the week after delivery; he said the tint on the rear window is not something that can be removed - it’s actually in the window rather than on the surface. As a result, 95% of the time I drive with the rear camera on. Unfortunately the wide-angle rear camera image makes things appear much further sway than they actually are.

How about:
  1. Chime option for navigation instructions when driving without EAP so you don't have to listen to the voice for each turn.
  2. Waypoints!
  3. Make putting the car in gear much more fluid. I, and others, report having to make multiple attempts to put the car before actually engaging. This is even if buckling first. I'm sure this is a safety feature, but it's over done.
  4. Until they make better sun visors that slide out, a sleeve over the existing visor to at least cover the full width of the driver side window.

My X has kinda cross traffic warning, from the rear ultrasonic sensors. It beeps if something is coming.
Panoramic windshield come with a black mesh sunscreen for those wishing to use it.
AM radio works poorly with EV's . Better to stream them (as Tesla does)
Few need a Full Set of adaptors. Waste of money to include expensive items that buyers will never use. They have chosen to offer them, at low prices, for those few who may benefit. Most want to charge at their homes and Superchargers.
My X came with a key ring.
X comes standard with a clever swiveling visor. It folds open to block additional area, and is stabilized with a magnetic clasp. It easily swings to cover the side window if desired.
It comes with a hands free opening button on the display. Both opens and closes from the dash. Does not have the gadget that opens the trunk by sweeping you foot near an under bumper sensor though.

My X has kinda cross traffic warning, from the rear ultrasonic sensors. It beeps if something is coming.
Panoramic windshield come with a black mesh sunscreen for those wishing to use it.
Few need a Full Set of adaptors. Waste of money to include expensive items that buyers will never use. They have chosen to offer them, at low prices, for those few who may benefit. Most want to charge at their homes and Superchargers.
X comes standard with a clever swiveling visor. It folds open to block additional area, and is stabilized with a magnetic clasp. It easily swings to cover the side window if desired.
It comes with a hands free opening button on the display. Both opens and closes from the dash. Does not have the gadget that opens the trunk by sweeping you foot near an under bumper sensor though.
Did you do anything to enable cross traffic alerts ? I could not find any settings related to that. My MX never beeped for cross traffic but it does for closer obstacles in reverse.. Its 2020 LR.

i just want to be able to use the remote to open just the passenger front door without opening the driver door. or at least allow me to close the driver door, leaving the passenger open.

also what happened to driving the car like an RC car....

adjusting the suspension from the app would be nice

and bring back the parcel shelf

You've never had a real cross path option, have you?

One morning, perfect weather I was backing out of my very long driveway after backing out of the garage with my Jeep. The Jeep has Ultrasonics front and back for parking as well as true rear cross path (2 radar guns pointing ~45 degrees from the 2 rear corners). The ultrasonics alarm quite a bit when backing out of the garage so I tend to tune out the alarms out when I back out. So I'm backing out and the alarms felt different and I had not "re-enabled them in my head yet". But I stopped (alarm or no alarm) and looked both ways and started to proceed again. But the alarms persisted and I stopped and looked again just shy of entering the street. Then I see this adult bicyclist in skin tight outfit, head straight down whiz by. He never saw me and I never saw him, but the rear radar did and stopped me. He was right behind the rear door pillar when I looked. The Rear Cross path saw him coming from at least 100 ft away !! That option saved his ass and mine. I really wish the X had true rear cross path. I think Tesla could get 60% (maybe 80%?) effectiveness with cameras. The side cameras are a bit to far forward for some situations. My hunch is, Tesla might think they would get lamb basted for a poor implementation and may never do it. But I'd certainly take what ever they could do with the hardware that exists.

The rear cross path radar on most cars is the same radar that's used for blind spot. I think in my case the rear cross path feature is more valuable than the primary function of blind spot. Blind spot has never saved me from a mishap (I don't think so any way, had it for 5 years and 90K miles) but I think the rear cross path function has saved me from a mishap or two. But I sure link having a radar based blind spot implementation over Tesla's current implementation, which is pretty good, but can be a bit late. It's nice though that Tesla's implementation has zero annoyance. Typical Radar based Blind Spot systems can be a little annoying. For example, where you have a blinker on and you know you need to let several cars go by and it beeps like crazy, but you have the situation under control. But that doesn't happen to often.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kweber! and Ocelot
By "kinda" cross traffic I mean that sometimes when I am backing out of a parking spot, the sensors will alert me that another car is coming up from the side. Allows me to double check and see if they are moving by or simply sitting there waiting until I give up my spot.

There are many features, from other manufacturers that are drivers aids. Often they are patented by those companies, or they have exclusive rights to use them from their inventor. Tesla puts more $features into their cars so they can become self driving. Many of these gadgets will become unnecessary when the car becomes more of the driver, instead of the human.

Just goes to show you that we all have our various opinions. For me, I hate heads-up displays. I have it on my Jaguar i-Pace and I have it turned off.

1. Bird’s Eye View

I would not want this feature.

The rear-facing camera provides a wide view and I feel that it is sufficient.

3. UNtinted Rear Window

I use the rear camera and have never had an issue.

4. “Regular” windshield

I absolutely love the windshield and I never had a problem with the sun.

5. AM Radio

I never listen to AM radio - 100% Slacker for me. When the Internet is out, I use a USB stick with my favorite music.

I have never used anything but Destination chargers and Superchargers. I have some adapters, but have never needed them.

Why? I only have the Tesla FOB in my pocket - there are no need for other keys in today's technological market.

I have never needed a visor for the side window - the tint is sufficient.

Double click the button on the FOB and the trunk opens great.

Reactions: ElectricSteve
Just goes to show you that we all have our various opinions. For me, I hate heads-up displays. I have it on my Jaguar i-Pace and I have it turned off.

1. Bird’s Eye View

I would not want this feature.
Never experienced so I will take your word.

The rear-facing camera provides a wide view and I feel that it is sufficient.
Completely agree

3. UNtinted Rear Window

I use the rear camera and have never had an issue.
Also agree

4. “Regular” windshield

I absolutely love the windshield and I never had a problem with the sun.
I too like the windshield, but the visor is not the best and the sun can be a real safety problem

5. AM Radio

I never listen to AM radio - 100% Slacker for me. When the Internet is out, I use a USB stick with my favorite music.
Most people don't use AM anymore, but it cannot be expensive for them to include it.

I have never used anything but Destination chargers and Superchargers. I have some adapters, but have never needed them.
Agree fully

Why? I only have the Tesla FOB in my pocket - there are no need for other keys in today's technological market.
Have to disagree here. 1st Tesla included a ring. Latest car required me to research rings. After a couple of false starts I did find one almost as good as the original Tesla one. Use mine daily and consider it essential.

I have never needed a visor for the side window - the tint is sufficient.
Agreed

Double click the button on the FOB and the trunk opens great.
Clicking on the fob is awkward. It rarely responds the way I want it to. (this goes for all functions not just Trunk)
Having a foot activated trunk release installed today.