Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with 4680 cells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the saying goes that later this year MIG Model 3 and Y will receive the 4680 cells...
Could it be possible that the 2023 Model X will receive the 4680 cells, too?
No one knows. But with the volume of Model Y, and the upcoming Cybertruck. I would have to say I doubt it. I think the 1865s will be with us for quite a while. But if that remains a question, refer back to my first sentence.

They might. The factory down the street on Kato road is where they are currently making the 4860 cells. Its capacity is too small for the Y, but may be enough to make 4860s for the S and X. They have made over 1 million 4860 cells already. And since they are about 1 mile from the Fremont factory, and on the same rail and highway lines, the transportation costs would be minimal.

No one knows. But with the volume of Model Y, and the upcoming Cybertruck. I would have to say I doubt it. I think the 1865s will be with us for quite a while. But if that remains a question, refer back to my first sentence.
What are 1865’s????
I thought all TESLA models were shipped with 2170’s—save for those Model 3/Y’s currently being delivered with 4680’s…???

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
What are 1865’s????
I thought all TESLA models were shipped with 2170’s—save for those Model 3/Y’s currently being delivered with 4680’s…???
The 1865 (sometimes called 18650) is the original smaller sized cell used in all Model S and X, even in my brand new 2022. The 2170 size is only shipped in the Model 3 and Y. Some Model Y are becoming available with the 4680, but not the long range or performance models. Model 3 are all 2170 only ...so far.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Is the structural casting required to support the 4680? If so, after seeing the rework on the 4680 Y on Munro and Assoc Youtube channel it would be a pretty extensive change to the S and X. I was at first surprised to see the front seats and center console are mounted to casting and installed as a unit with the batteries. I wonder if Tesla would go through this much of an assembly line redo for the "low-volume" S and X.

i’m very satisfied with 18650 cells. What improvements (drivers perspective) do you expect from 4680 cells?
The main advantage is reduced weight of the pack. Even if the chemistry is identical, fewer but much larger cells, reduces the total amount of steel used to produce the pack, thus reducing the total weight. I imagine it is somewhat more important to the smaller vehicles, but reduced weight is important to any model. Any reduction in weight could be used for increased payload, or larger battery capacity packs.

I have had no issues with the 1865 cells either, but any possible reduction in weight or increased range would be welcome. Given the very low volume of the Model X, I do not expect such a change any time soon. There is no urgent need to change up to the 4680, at least not until after the 4680 production rate can catch up to demand.

Doesn’t the new 4680 MY have less range than the 2170 version? I’ve seen speculation that he 4680 is not offered in Perfomance Y because they don’t cool as well as 2170, again that is some youtube opinion. That kind of reinforces the idea that S/X still use 18650 for a reason.
Most of the info I’ve seen on the 4680 cells are that they greatly benefit the mfgr in cost reduction, and benefit everyone in weight savings- seems odd the new Y has less range.
The most recent Munro video where they (try) to open the structural pack makes it look impossible to replace bad cells or really do any repair beneath the cover.

Reactions: outdoors
Doesn’t the new 4680 MY have less range than the 2170 version? I’ve seen speculation that he 4680 is not offered in Perfomance Y because they don’t cool as well as 2170, again that is some youtube opinion. That kind of reinforces the idea that S/X still use 18650 for a reason.
Most of the info I’ve seen on the 4680 cells are that they greatly benefit the mfgr in cost reduction, and benefit everyone in weight savings- seems odd the new Y has less range.
The most recent Munro video where they (try) to open the structural pack makes it look impossible to replace bad cells or really do any repair beneath the cover.
I also saw that video. It makes me wonder if the car would be dead or permanently nerfed if cells failed.

Hopefully a future video will how easily they can repair/replace bad cells.