Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with no kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a Tesla, so far I'm looking at an used late 2016/7 Model X with FSD.

Right now I have a BMW 5 series, and leased a nissan leaf before. I have test drove a 3, S and X.

The 3 is IMO a little boring and suspension is too rough for my liking. I'm also spoilt by powered trunks, and soft closing doors, so all the manual doors/trunks of the 3 are not things I can get used to anymore.

The model S was really fun to drive. it sits much lower than the 3 and feels like driving a real super car, but interior is rather boring.

The model X just amazed me the moment I get in. The panoramic windshield is something I really really want. Driving with this on a road trip on highway 1 in california would be so cool.

The question is, it's just me and my wife, we don't have any kids. So far almost every owner I know have at least 1-2 kids. Would getting a SUV/minivan just for the windshield make sense? Is it something you get used to and don't think is a big deal after a while?

I know a tall single guy who bought one. Likes the ride height more than the S and likes the easy entry and exit compared to S. Agree on sport tuned suspension of Model 3. Hopefully Model Y has a more plush tuned suspension. Any thoughts on getting a Model Y?

I know a tall single guy who bought one. Likes the ride height more than the S and likes the easy entry and exit compared to S. Agree on sport tuned suspension of Model 3. Hopefully Model Y has a more plush tuned suspension. Any thoughts on getting a Model Y?

Yes thought of getting a Y, but again it has manual doors like the 3, and does not have the panoramic windshield either. I don't really need the 300+ miles range since my daily commute is less than 20 miles round trip. The furthest I'll drive is to LA 1-2 times a year, and I don't mind the extra charging stops for just 1-2 times a year. Price wise, it's about the same as a 2016-17 model X and more expensive than a 2016-17 S. Even if I had to choose between Y and S, I would take the S. I just don't see any new features in the Y/3 that I really care about.

I wanted 6 seats for when the kids visited us, but normally it's just the two of us. The X is a great road trip vehicle. We do enjoy the big windshield, automatic doors, FWD's, and automatic trunk.

But, for local trips I much prefer the 3, which is smaller and sportier.

If you don't mind the size and height of the X then I see no reason not to get it.

Reactions: wreighven
Totally agree with you @AlexF1 about the 3 and model S.

My fiancé and I picked up a used 2016 X 90D and it’s been really good to us so far! Didn’t care for FSD since it’s no where near level 5 but enjoying not being dependent on oil/gas stations. No kids yet for us (only fur baby) and it still amazes me every time I get in it. Once the X gets more improved mileage we’ll definitely trade up.

My advice is definitely trust your gut and get what you want!