Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with nose cone in video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car in the background appears to have most of the front end of a Model X with a Model S back end. The curve of the roof looks like a Model S rather than a Model X, but the location of the front wheels with respect to the front doors looks like an X as well as an X windshield. I suspect it's a prototype mule modified from a Model S used to test various components for the Model X.

Oj0ODZ0.jpg

I grabbed a screenshot of the original image and added comparison shots. It's definitely just an X with the front not painted white. I "painted" the top left without changing anything else.

I grabbed a screenshot of the original image and added comparison shots. It's definitely just an X with the front not painted white. I "painted" the top left without changing anything else.

Nice work. Definitely an X. I wonder what it was doing there. Maybe they were going to drive it out and then surprise with the new nose immediately thereafter.

Back stage they were Rock-Paper-Scissoring to figure out which nose they'd go with in the end.

You know, I was foolish enough to have entertained this thought for a few minutes when I first saw the photos. Then I realized they'd have to also have a handful of nose-coned MXs to deliver and test ride people in as well.

I pictured Elon backstage making the call. "Oh, hell, let's try the new one."

View attachment 98593

I don't know guys, I'm still not convinced that it's authentic. It's definitely an X, but something just doesn't look right about it to me. Maybe it's the way it's slightly pinched on the left side ..like it was stretched and pasted-in off-angle or just drawn-in somewhat carelessly. It also doesn't reflect light like the rest of the car. Maybe it was a piece of thin black film that was peeled away at the private reveal as a prank or misdirection? I don't know - could just be the engineer in me. Either way, I for one am really glad Tesla decided not to go with a nose cone on the Winged Lion :biggrin: