Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - worth buying now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello members,

I am planning to buy a new Model X. Are there any known issues with falcon wings door? I understand there were issues in the past, but would like to know before I sign up for a significant investment.

Thank you!!
i don't think it's a very fair position for me to take having had the Raven model since end of Aug '19 but it is an AWESOME car so far...b/c it's not just a car! And it seemingly does do typical car things and make them fun..like zipping thru yellow lights that i never would have attempted to do before. Making lane changes that might be tighter for another car mine will smoothly jump into action and place me where i want to be more quickly & efficiently..Yes, and safely!
Bottom line it's fun, fast & has so much room. It keeps me intrigued by its software. i love the ability to solve the small little issues /questions i have by coming on the forum. To me this is a Mac with 4 wheels. i hope you get it, you won't be sorry!

Reactions: boney12
i don't think it's a very fair position for me to take having had the Raven model since end of Aug '19 but it is an AWESOME car so far...b/c it's not just a car! And it seemingly does do typical car things and make them fun..like zipping thru yellow lights that i never would have attempted to do before. Making lane changes that might be tighter for another car mine will smoothly jump into action and place me where i want to be more quickly & efficiently..Yes, and safely!
Bottom line it's fun, fast & has so much room. It keeps me intrigued by its software. i love the ability to solve the small little issues /questions i have by coming on the forum. To me this is a Mac with 4 wheels. i hope you get it, you won't be sorry!
Don't zip too much in Chicago - there are so many cameras out here. Just bought a Performance S and it's soooo much more convenient in Chicago)

• Funny
Reactions: jerseygirl18
I've had my X for three months now and let's just say I won't ever buy a car from another brand again unless Tesla goes broke.
I was not exactly a Tesla fan but bought it rather reluctantly since I was underwhelmed by the e-tron and i-pace, but it's completely changed how I think of a car.

Faults with service centre, poor communication, errors at delivery etc. It all pales in comparison to the car itself.
Like John Carmac says about his tesla, "It's my happiness machine" :)

I've had my X for three months now and let's just say I won't ever buy a car from another brand again unless Tesla goes broke.
I was not exactly a Tesla fan but bought it rather reluctantly since I was underwhelmed by the e-tron and i-pace, but it's completely changed how I think of a car.

Faults with service centre, poor communication, errors at delivery etc. It all pales in comparison to the car itself.
Like John Carmac says about his tesla, "It's my happiness machine" :)
Double Thumbs UP

Reactions: JimVandegriff
hello members,

I am planning to buy a new Model X. Are there any known issues with falcon wings door? I understand there were issues in the past, but would like to know before I sign up for a significant investment.

Thank you!!

I took delivery of mine back in June. While there will be a lot of variation in people having issues, both major and minor, to those having none, you should be prepared if you buy a Model X.

I have had one minor issue so far. That is that the doors swing a little toward the rear of the car when opening and closing. For me this caused the FWD window glass to clip the rear quarter window trim. Not a huge issue for me, and the fixed it at my request, but others have had much worse problems, including the door not wanting to close because it senses the path is obstructed. My fix was pretty easy... they moved the rear quarter windows back a hair to give the doors more clearance. Adjusting the doors themselves is a real hassle, often making things worse. They are over-engineered and all the moving parts have the potential to be problematic.

They do turn heads though and has a lot of advantages for easy access to the second (or third) row.

If you are OK with the fact that you MAY get one with some sort of issue, and are comfortable with having to possibly get it fixed post delivery, or flat out decline delivery (probably rare), then you may be very happy with a Model X. While my experience would not translate to everyone, I adore mine.

So while I would rather issue caution to anyone purchasing one, as long as you are prepared for the possibility and OK with the corrective actions, then I say do it. If you are one that is used to buying a lot of luxury cars, that are far less complicated (as far as doors go) and used to everything being 100% at delivery, and also know you would be upset at paying 100K for a car not perfect at delivery, then I would discourage you from making the purchase.

Hope all these comments can help you make a more informed decision!

Good Luck to you and hope you are happy with hour decision either way. Let me know if I can be of further help. I did a lot of research on Tesla's before pulling the trigger, so I was prepared for what I may have to go through.

Reactions: jet44 and Zaxxon
I took delivery of mine back in June. While there will be a lot of variation in people having issues, both major and minor, to those having none, you should be prepared if you buy a Model X.

I have had one minor issue so far. That is that the doors swing a little toward the rear of the car when opening and closing. For me this caused the FWD window glass to clip the rear quarter window trim. Not a huge issue for me, and the fixed it at my request, but others have had much worse problems, including the door not wanting to close because it senses the path is obstructed. My fix was pretty easy... they moved the rear quarter windows back a hair to give the doors more clearance. Adjusting the doors themselves is a real hassle, often making things worse. They are over-engineered and all the moving parts have the potential to be problematic.

They do turn heads though and has a lot of advantages for easy access to the second (or third) row.

If you are OK with the fact that you MAY get one with some sort of issue, and are comfortable with having to possibly get it fixed post delivery, or flat out decline delivery (probably rare), then you may be very happy with a Model X. While my experience would not translate to everyone, I adore mine.

So while I would rather issue caution to anyone purchasing one, as long as you are prepared for the possibility and OK with the corrective actions, then I say do it. If you are one that is used to buying a lot of luxury cars, that are far less complicated (as far as doors go) and used to everything being 100% at delivery, and also know you would be upset at paying 100K for a car not perfect at delivery, then I would discourage you from making the purchase.

Hope all these comments can help you make a more informed decision!

Good Luck to you and hope you are happy with hour decision either way. Let me know if I can be of further help. I did a lot of research on Tesla's before pulling the trigger, so I was prepared for what I may have to go through.
fair enough, but it isn't for everyone i agree. Some of my GF don't know their iPhone does more than make calls. Those peeps i can't see enjoying the tesla MK. My car is en route to Fla for the winter season...i miss it!! It is a fun-mobile. i looked for issues upon delivery...found none..lucky, i know! Not to say some won't appear at any point, but i'm an early adopter of all Apple products..i know what can happen! I so love not worrying about getting gas, changing oil, replacing brake pads early & mufflers & tail pipes...Not even mentioning costly maintenance...so have fun & take some issues in stride S**T happens just Smile & Carry on you are a Tesla Owner after all!!:)

Reactions: Daisame and boney12
My only regret so far is that my MCU screen has the dreaded yellow border after just 20K miles (late 2018 MCU2) with no fix under warranty in site other than vague promises about a UV curing tool that MAY get around to my service center some day.

I still have no regrets and will do it again in a few years, assumIng Tesla survives the media and short-sellers assault. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned.