Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Xtreme dual 470hp motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me give an example that oversimplifies things.
Don't think of mpg, think of gallons per mile (or liters per 100km like the rest of the world does)
You normally get 30mpg, which is 0.033 GPM
Now you get 24mpg, which is 0.04 GPM
So the trailer uses 0.007 GPM.

Now your Tesla usually gets 100mpg, which is 0.01gpm
Add the 0.007gpm and you get 0.017gpm which is 59mpg...

Basically the Tesla has an efficient motor but is also very aerodynamic, so the result is probably between the two... I'm guessing 65mpge.

I think i get it... Any trailer takes so much energy to pull. (rolling & air resistance, inertia effects, etc.) That number doesn't change with the tow vehicle. The Electric car uses much less total energy compared to an ICE all other things being equal. Thus the percentage of energy used in towing is greater.

I think i get it... Any trailer takes so much energy to pull. (rolling & air resistance, inertia effects, etc.) That number doesn't change with the tow vehicle. The Electric car uses much less total energy compared to an ICE all other things being equal. Thus the percentage of energy used in towing is greater.

More or less right. The tow vehicle choice can affect the power/energy required to tow somewhat, because the trailer's drag is changed by the size and nature of "hole" in the air the tow vehicle creates. However, it's unlikely that the difference will be large.

These days, most "normal" cars and SUVs are pretty aerodynamic, too - I wouldn't be surprised if the change in range proved to be pretty close to proportional when compared to a hybrid SUV or one with cylinder deactivation.

(The joker in the deck for more traditional SUVs is that the extra load from the trailer actually moves the SUV into more efficient operating ranges for the engine which is normally oversized for freeway loads.)
Walter