TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X's delivered in 2015 to be model year 2016?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by nkole, Sep 18, 2015.

1. nkole

nkole Member

The California Air Resources Board just updated their list of car pool lane eligible cars (with a single passenger) and the 2016 Tesla model X is listed. Could be a mistake (should have been in the 2015 section) or maybe Tesla has changed their model year naming policy.

Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Sounds like an organization that can't think outside of the traditional "model year" box. "It's shipping in October so it must be a 2016 model."

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

If a mistake, it's an understandable one given what the norm is.

4. adelman

adelman R 539, S VIN S44, X Sig#1

The VIN assigned to my Signature #1 Model X is a 2016 VIN.

5. matbl

matbl Member

Isn't the VIN always the productione year no matter if the manufacturer uses model years or not?
    does this mean your X will be produced in 2016?

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

This is interesting news...
    The first 11 Model S Founders cars went out June 22, 2012, the remainder over the next couple of months so that the first Model S Signatures went out in mid-August. So just short of a two month gap. If that held, it'd be reasonable to expect late November at the earliest for Model X Sigs. So perhaps understandable that the VIN for X-S00001 is 2016, but definitely not expected, at least by me.

7. timf

timf Member

The only rule Tesla needs to follow is that 2016 models are produced between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2016. Other than that, it's entirely up to them when they call something a 2015 vs 2016.

8. matbl

matbl Member

That's for the us right?
    I wonder how it is for the eu. I might be wrong, but I think it have to show the actual year.

9. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

If that holds it will be a departure from Tesla's norm. I will be shocked if your car isn't built and delivered in 2015. Unless Tesla wants to have the Model X in the running for Best New of 2016 or something?

How likely do you think it is that your VIN will change? I'm assuming it's been assigned but the car's not yet been built?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, adelman, check my.teslamotors.com and see if your VIN is still showing? It looks like some previously assigned VINs aren't showing anymore.

10. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I welcome aligning the model year with the other manufacturers. But only so that a MS/MX purchased at the end of the year might have a higher resale value down the road.

Would be interested in knowing if any new MS orders have also gotten 2016 vins.

11. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Oh interesting. Mark's VIN had disappeared. Would you mind entering this into the ModelXTracker ?

12. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

I removed my VIN from the X Tracker since Tesla Motors removed the VIN from the data shown in "My Tesla". Since the ending number might change, I feel it is best to remove it until the same or revised number is shown in "My Tesla".

The number that did appear in "My Tesla" for about a week was a 2016 model year as well.

13. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

That's what I was referring to, MarkZ

14. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

What is the norm

15. Zextraterrestrial

scandalous... call a 2015 car built in July(2015) a 2016 model.

this is how a 2012 Model S managed to get a 2013 car of the year award.

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Exactly. If only one manufacturer in an entire industry (note that I haven't confirmed that fact) is putting out Model Year XX cars at the end of Calendar Year XX, then I'd excuse a clerk or public servant that didn't closely follow Tesla to make the mistake.

17. Haggy

Haggy Member

That would be nice, but it makes no difference in the case of the S. It would have made sense to start calling them 2015 when autopilot came out if Tesla wants to use 2016 in this case. It's not just for resale value but also for other things such as insurance. Having a 2014 with all 2015 features that's a 2015 in every way except for the VIN won't help you if 2015s have fewer accidents because of active safety features.

On the other hand, Tesla screws things up for existing owners if they change the paradigm at this point. It will make it hard for owners to say that their cars are the same as the ones for the following year if Tesla stops making it their practice.