Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X's Insatiable Appetite for Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
2018 MX 75D just turned 55K miles, lots of highway driving, not much in the city. 3rd set of Continental Tires just went on today. No abnormal wear, alignment seems good. Just likes tires I guess....so much for the savings on oil changes...LOL

Just to clarify, is this the 3rd set including the set that came with the car? If that is the case you are getting 27,500 per set which is great for a Model X. My X performance is at 18k miles now and the tyres are starting to get noisy.

This is the third time i have installed tires not including the original tires. Runs about $1200 each time. Yes part of my reason for replacement is noise. Tires are at about 3-4. 32 of tread remaining...

I heard a rumor that the Plaid Model S will be much better on tire wear with its 1100 hp and likely R compound tires.

Heavy car, sticky tires, and fast driving (especially cornering) are all negatives for tire life. Add a little time enjoying the acceleration, and If you get 20,000 miles you are doing pretty good.

FWIW, our BMW 5 and 6's burned through tires at the same rate. Performance cars are tough on tires. Especially if you use the performance!

2018 MX 75D just turned 55K miles, lots of highway driving, not much in the city. 3rd set of Continental Tires just went on today. No abnormal wear, alignment seems good. Just likes tires I guess....so much for the savings on oil changes...LOL
I got 45K out of my original set of 2017 X100D tires.

Maybe your experience has something to do with your driving style...

• Helpful
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I got 45K out of my original set of 2017 X100D tires.

Maybe your experience has something to do with your driving style...

I drive in CHILL mode, rarely do anything beyond normal acceleration. My last Hyundai Azera had 67K miles when I traded it in, 4/32 tread remaining. No rotating on the X , but no abnormal wear, inside, outside, etc. Seems like Janus is running about the same

• Helpful
I drive in CHILL mode, rarely do anything beyond normal acceleration. My last Hyundai Azera had 67K miles when I traded it in, 4/32 tread remaining. No rotating on the X , but no abnormal wear, inside, outside, etc. Seems like Janus is running about the same
Wow, 67K on a set of tires!!! Our family has run auto repair business for over 50 years (pre-dates my participation). I can't ever remember anyone going that far. No wonder your expectations of the Model X are different.

• Helpful
I held out to about 33k miles on my factory set. The were pretty noisy, bumpy, and barely above being considered bald at that point though. I drive it pretty hard for a 75D but I don't have the acceleration of a 100 or P model to really chew through them.

I replaced them with the Michelin Crossclimate since I'm in the Pacific Northwest and never know what weather I'll come across and they were rated as having a slower tread wear. Still $1,200 from tire rack plus another $200 to have replaced. So far I love the way the chevron pattern looks and how they handle; however, they are pretty loud and do drop my range noticably. Overall I'm pretty happy and they seem to be holding up ok after 15k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrtee733 and P85_DA
Bought my PX with 47K on it. Tire tread was good at delivery. Now have 53K on the car, and no noticeable tread wear yet. On tires in general, it's not about the car. It's about the driver. Last set of tires I bought for my ICE pickup were Michelin 80K tires. I put 98K on them, and they were still drivable when I replaced them just recently. I believe they were on the truck for over 10 years. If you want your tires to last, you can't do the following things: accelerate quickly, brake hard, turn hard or turn the steering wheel when the car isn't rolling. Of course that negates the whole purpose of having a P model, but there's a happy medium. I get on mine when I want to pass someone, so I do accelerate hard from time to time, but I don't treat the car like a race car on the road. I almost never turn hard. And I absolutely never turn the steering wheel when the car isn't moving. That's probably the number one cause for front tire wear.

Heavy car, sticky tires, and fast driving (especially cornering) are all negatives for tire life. Add a little time enjoying the acceleration, and If you get 20,000 miles you are doing pretty good.

FWIW, our BMW 5 and 6's burned through tires at the same rate. Performance cars are tough on tires. Especially if you use the performance!
I run the same Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires (different sizes obviously) on my Model X that I ran on my BMW X5M and X6M. I actually get a little bit better mileage out of them on the Tesla (P100D), I suspect because it is more effective at preventing tire spin. Used to replace the tires on the BMW every 12k miles (fronts had 1-2/32 more tread and could probably go another 2k miles at that point), with the Tesla the rears have been replaced twice at 14-15k and I ended up leaving the fronts on for 25k. Much cheaper on the Tesla too, since the wide tires on the BMW were much more expensive.