Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 0- 60 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Dragy and have run multiple 0-60 runs on my Model Y PUP. 3.8 seconds. This is a flat piece of road, running both directions and averaging the result. Warmed up battery at 80% SOC. Seems slower than it should be. I tested my wife's Model 3 AWD LR and it does it in 4.3 seconds. That seems correct, a bit faster than Tesla promises. The test with the 3 makes me think the Dragy is accurate, so why isn't my Y running 3.5 seconds as promised?

If anyone else has a dragy, post your times!

If anyone is recording performance runs with a CANBus cable and adapter please send me a copy of the CANBus runlog. We are way overdue for an update to the Performance Metrics. I have the top four fields the original DragTimes PY CANBus run already. I just need a few more samples. Bonus points for a full throttle quarter mile run.

That car did a 3.32 w rollout by the way on 95% SoC. So call it 3.57 without rollout.

Last edited:
If anyone is recording performance runs with a CANBus cable and adapter please send me a copy of the CANBus runlog. We are way overdue for an update to the Performance Metrics. I have the top four fields the original DragTimes PY CANBus run already. I just need a few more samples. Bonus points for a full throttle quarter mile run.

That car did a 3.32 w rollout by the way on 95% SoC. So call it 3.57 without rollout.

You think the torque values for the Y is set different than the 3 or is it all weight that makes it slower? I drove my friends 3 performance way before my Y and it felt ALOT faster. Not complaining, I mean the Y is our family and has more than enough juice

You think the torque values for the Y is set different than the 3 or is it all weight that makes it slower?
The larger tires on the Y have a pretty big effect on overall gearing. It's almost as much as going from 3.73 gears on the 3 to 3.42 gears on the Y. According to the owner's manuals, both have 9:1 gears. I'm guessing that was for cost; it's too bad Tesla didn't change the gearing on the Y to make up for the bigger tires.

You think the torque values for the Y is set different than the 3 or is it all weight that makes it slower...
Both the P3 and PY seem to be set at 475Nm in the latest firmware. So yeah, the Y being heavier is going to be a bit slower off the line. It will be great to get some more samples and see if the PY really generates more power, and If so why?

The larger tires on the Y have a pretty big effect on overall gearing. It's almost as much as going from 3.73 gears on the 3 to 3.42 gears on the Y. According to the owner's manuals, both have 9:1 gears. I'm guessing that was for cost; it's too bad Tesla didn't change the gearing on the Y to make up for the bigger tires.
Perfect thought. I was a but naive thinking they may had changed the gearing on the car, but like you said, it's the wheels! Good catch.

Has anyone tested out the stealth performance numbers. Curious to how it stacks up against the performance with 21” wheels.

also, is the stealth performance expected to get the same range as the non performance AWD?

The stealth should do a tad better 0-60. Enough to measure? I don't know. The 21" tires in the back are slightly taller making gearing slightly worse.

Range should be the same on all models equipped with identical wheels & tires, or at least close enough for the difference to be negligible.

Is that without the 1 foot roll out? The times manufacturers (and most reviewers) usually use is the roll out time.

Worth noting- Tesla is highly dishonest about this.

They use 1 foot rollout for P times.

Not for any other models.

This is to artificially inflate the difference between P and non-P 0-60 times.

I'm not aware of any other car maker who uses 2 different measuring methods between 2 different versions of their own cars.[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Worth noting- Tesla is highly dishonest about this.

They use 1 foot rollout for P times.

Not for any other models.

This is to artificially inflate the difference between P and non-P 0-60 times.

there as a YouTubed that got 3.3 with the 21s but mysteriously his video was taken down

I'm not aware of any other car maker who uses 2 different measuring methods between 2 different versions of their own cars.
[/QUOTE]

did Tesla announce that they are using a 1 foot rollout? Interesting to hear

did Tesla announce that they are using a 1 foot rollout? Interesting to hear

They've been cheating on these numbers since the old Model S days.

They just hide it slightly better these days.

But it's still obvious once car mags and owners who aren't dishonest about this do testing- for example the LR AWD Model 3 is listed at 4.4 online- actual 1' rollout testing consistently clocks it at 3.9 without boost.

They advertise the LR AWD boost at 3.9- when 1 foot rollout tests consistently hit the 3.5 range.

See also this screen shot from the old P85 days where they actually used to publish the fact they use 2 different measurements for P and non-P.

rollout.png

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
I don't think of adding the 1 foot roll out as "cheating". As far as I know, every car maker uses it for their performance cars. Virtually every car magazine uses it. If you don't use it, you're making your cars look worse compared to your competition. As long as everyone is using it, it's a fair way enough way to compare cars. (Although my feeling is that it tends to favor ICE cars slightly.)

As far as I know, every car maker uses it for their performance cars. Virtually every car magazine uses it.

Nope.

Every other car maker eithers uses it or not (many don't- especially european makers) on all their cars.

Tesla however is using the 1 foot of rollout only for P models

and then NOT using it for non-P models.

To deceptively cheat and make the gap between P and non-P look larger than it really is.

To my knowledge nobody in the industry- not car makers, not car magazines- uses two different measurements between different trims of the same car, other than Tesla.

Reactions: Fairchild