Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: 10,000 mile review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did your V60CC have adaptive cruise control? I had a 2016 V60 T5 Platinum at one point, had to do the rear brakes on that around the same mileage as you. Volvo says it’s due to the ACC using the rear brakes more than the fronts, as to eliminate brake dive from too much front brake. Seems to make sense. But, man, the way the SPA Chassis Volvo’s go through those rear pads...! Apparently the T8 guys aren’t having the same issue with brakes.

Yes....in fact we just got back from a long interstate drive..and loved having the ACC. We added both IPD rear sway bar and Volvo front strut brace and it handles (for a wagon) like it's on rails. Imagine it'll eventually get replaced with an EV...perhaps a future Volvo or maybe Polestar 2....

Just picked up our Model Y from a private sale yesterday. I'm originally coming from a model S, but two years ago, we purchased the Model X. The Model Y is my first introduction to the single screen so things are a bit different. I would agree that the ride is more in tune as a sports car feel. I haven't tested out any aggressive driving but, so far I love it. It feels like it's on rails. Love the smaller steering wheel. The UI is taking some getting use to considering owning the Model X. Original owner had a lot of extras done to the car. the Stealth wrap is growing on me. I'm use to a nice shinny look but the wrap is not bad. The name was only fitting, Meet Snow White.
MVIMG_20200826_154426.jpg IMG_20200826_123735.jpg

Now, how do I keep the blinker on when I'm in a turning lane?

Just picked up our Model Y from a private sale yesterday. I'm originally coming from a model S, but two years ago, we purchased the Model X. The Model Y is my first introduction to the single screen so things are a bit different. I would agree that the ride is more in tune as a sports car feel. I haven't tested out any aggressive driving but, so far I love it. It feels like it's on rails. Love the smaller steering wheel. The UI is taking some getting use to considering owning the Model X. Original owner had a lot of extras done to the car. the Stealth wrap is growing on me. I'm use to a nice shinny look but the wrap is not bad. The name was only fitting, Meet Snow White.
View attachment 581233 View attachment 581234

Now, how do I keep the blinker on when I'm in a turning lane?

Congratulations! Why did the original owner sell the vehicle?

Isn't it:
- use minimal force, 3 blinks
- push until you go past the resistance point - stays on

Never tried two times using limited force. I'd expect the second time would cause it to stop blinking (using minimal force would cancel the blinker when it's on).

I believe that’s what they meant by two clicks. You will feel a “click” when you push the lever down for 3 blinks, and if you push further down, you will feel a second “click” to allow the turn signal to stay blinking.

• Helpful
Reactions: frankvb
Congratulations! Why did the original owner sell the vehicle?
Yes, good question. Bought it to drive in his business. Owns several other cars. Wife and daughter own chevy Volts. Just want we were looking for including FSD and the black rims. Was going to order the blue model but this white is really looking nice and the satin wrap is really growing on me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_170157.jpg
    IMG_20200827_170157.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 127
Took delivery of my Model Y in the last week of March. Long Range AWD, 20in induction wheels, FSD. I’m at over 10,000 miles as of this week. I’m a technical sales rep, so I drive a lot (25k/year).

This car replaced my 2018 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription. After 10k, here’s my pro’s and con’s:

Pro’s:
-It’s electric.
-Autopilot
-handling
-plenty of storage
-did not have to change the oil at 10k

Con’s:
-harsh ride, 20in wheels,no air suspension
-had to order a hitch, as it wasn’t available when I ordered in September
-front end collects lots of bugs
-build quality could be better.
-no mud flaps available?

Issues:
Had to have the rear driver side rear door realigned, as it was out of spec, and the front edge was getting stone chips, Tesla fixed it, and painted the whole door. Rear seat rattle also, which they fixed.

The sound system is surprisingly good. I was worried about this, as my Volvo had the big money Bowers & Wilkins system. The B&W in the Volvo was better, but the Tesla system is no slouch.

ROTATE YOUR TIRES EVERY 5,000miles! I rotated mine at 5,200miles, the rear tires were worn way more than the fronts. No abnormal wear, like cupping, or things a bad alignment would give you, just even wear from side to side. They shipped these cars with some Goodyear max performance “m/s” tires, super soft compound. Those type of tires always wear faster. Stick to the road nice, but won’t last. I’ll change these out for something with a harder compound.

All in all, I would buy another Tesla. My only major gripe is the ride quality. It’s harsh. I’m coming from a car that had four corner air suspension to something with static suspension and 40 series tires on 20in wheels. I knew this going into it, but air suspension would be nice to have.

That’s all I got. Thanks.
I was bummed when I test drove the Y; ride is still too harsh (very similar to our Model 3). We are highly likely to cancel our Y order because of this lack of progress on suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I'm always a bit flabbergasted when people purchase 20" or 21" low profile tires then complain about harsh ride quality.

When the MY was first available the base wheels were 18", then they moved up to 19" with options for 20" and 21". Want a nice ride with tires that will last 50Kmi and the best kWh/mi efficiency? Go with the 19" package, sure they're not sexy like the 20 and 21" options.. but for a daily driver the are the best bet.

i was in the same boat, I read enough reviews that warned about ride quality with the larger rims so I kept the 19” wheels. This car is a temp for me as I ordered the Cyber truck, we plan on giving the Y to my daughter as her first car. She will be lucky, but I know this will be one of the safest things she can ride in 2-3 years..

Reactions: NY_Rob
Curious did you go this route so you didn’t have to wait? New is $52
Well, I was hesitant offering up the price paid for used but considering the newness of the car and pricing that is always available through Tesla, I felt for historical purpose it would be ok. Yes, we did go through with it and I felt that both parties are happy. I will say coughing up 60G's is not the easiest thing to do especially when employment was scarses starting in June. So the wife and I are starting a new thing and hoping to keep the car working for us. I think Tesla hit this one out of the park. Model Y will be highly desirable by many, and not just someone looking for an EV.
I'm also starting to see more MY's here in my area too.

Edit: Oh, and not waiting was part of it.
IMG_20200926_160512.jpg

Reactions: wlrd08
Drove a performance without performance package . I think they were the smaller wheels
The ride was pretty harsh the acceleration was amazing. I tested the stereo it was way better than
most . Even the ones that have the fancy names like JBL , Mark Levison , BOSE. I look at all the Y's
that come by the local super charger . The biggest thing I have seen is door misalignment on a regular basis. It's been since September and I have noticed they seem to be getting better don't know if
this is because I am looking at a larger sample or they are actually getting better.
Other impressions seat bench could be longer Interior pretty plain.
I haven't seem some of the gross hatch alignments that were on some of the Y tube video's.
Also the the possible increase in range do to better battery's is giving me FOMO.
worried about the glass roof breaking with racks (yes the tesla racks)
Wish they would at least offer the seats in one more color (brown)
and some different wood or carbon colored interior trim.

Last edited: