Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 1350 mile Road Trip/Charging report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed 1350 miles trip from Lakeland Florida to McAllen Texas. Left Saturday 6 am and drove about 1100 miles on day one to Victoria/Texas. Stayed overnight there and charged on the Hotel's Destination charger and continued today to McAllen.. We arrived early afternoon in McAllen.. That's exacy the time it took us for the same trip with ICE. We did longer trip legs with longer stops..

My home to live oak supercharger 182 MILES 80 mph autopilot 45 min charge on V2 to 97% while having breakfast with the family
Live Oak to Crestview supercharger 228 miles 75 mph autopilot.. arrived at 7% 30 min charge on V3 to 84%
Crestview to D'Iberville supercharger 154 miles 80mph autopilot charged 35 mins on V3 to 93%
D'Iberville to Lafayette supercharger 194 miles 80 mph autopilot charged 35 mins on V3 to 94%
Lafayette to channelview supercharger 201 miles 80 mph autopilot. 20 min charge on V2 to 73%
Channelview to Hotel in Victoria 152 miles 80 mph autopilot. Charged to 90% at hotel
This morning from Hotel to Kingsville 119 miles. Charged 15 mins on V2 to 70% and then to McAllen. 80 mph autopilot.
Averaged 299 Wh/Mile for the trip. 3.34 mi/kwh.. 2 adults, 2 kids, one Kitten and full with luggage.. That's amazing efficiency for high speed highway driving with AC on..

only 6 supercharger stops + 1 Hotel overnight charge for 1350 miles

Last edited:
Have you taken any trips in the Kona or BMW? How do they compare?
I only took a longer road trip with the Kona when I bought it in 2019. 1090 miles from the dealer in Maryland to my home in Florida. Had several issues with broken chargers along the route. Left Maryland in the early afternoon on 6/28 and arrived home late night on the 6/29.. Biggest issue was the Electrify charger in Walterboro. All 4 units didn't work.. Had to charge for 3 hours on Level 2 to make it to Savannah.. The CCS Network is nowhere as reliable as Tesla Superchargers. Also, charging time is much longer on the Kona.. Especially if you charge past 80%, the Kona becomes super slow..
Went several times from Lakeland to FT. Lauderdale with the Kona on one 100% charge.. 210 miles on one charge @ 70 mph.. Charged there to 100% and back on that charge..

Last edited:
For road trips, it’s hard to beat Tesla. I figured that you bought the Kona out of state. I like the looks of the Kona.
IMHO, the Kona is the best value for any non Tesla EV.. After tax credit, I paid $28600 + sales tax. Not bad for an EV that beats the MY range around town and still does great on the Highway. Well underrated range.. Of course, it does not have the advanced interface like a Tesla, nor the glass roof or the Autopilot etc. but it has range. Best non Tesla EV. Down side is that it is small, no frunk, rear legroom, charging time and lack of Supercharger access and not rated for towing .
For someone who does not go on long road trips frequently and does not need towing ability, it's perfect.. Drove mine for 53k miles in 2 years and no range loss.. Fantastic EV.

My trip as recorded by Tezlab..
Screenshot_20210705-120948_TezLab.jpg
Screenshot_20210705-121017_TezLab.jpg
Screenshot_20210705-121042_TezLab.jpg

Reactions: Ormond
Left Saturday 6 am and drove about 1100 miles on day one to Victoria/Texas.
And just about every day I argue with arrogant, ignorant EV-haters in the comment sections of articles about electric cars who just insist that travel is impossible because you go 300 miles, and then THAT'S IT. YOU'RE DONE. You can't go any more for the day because there's no way around it: the car has to sit for 8 hours to recharge. Buncha morons who just want to stick their fingers in their ears and refuse to listen to people with the actual experience of owning and using electric cars, who could inform them that it's not like that.

I keep thinking of this like people who argue that it's impossible to have a telephone without wires that fits in your pocket. And meanwhile, we will all keep using our cell phones and rolling our eyes.

And just about every day I argue with arrogant, ignorant EV-haters in the comment sections of articles about electric cars who just insist that travel is impossible because you go 300 miles, and then THAT'S IT. YOU'RE DONE. You can't go any more for the day because there's no way around it: the car has to sit for 8 hours to recharge. Buncha morons who just want to stick their fingers in their ears and refuse to listen to people with the actual experience of owning and using electric cars, who could inform them that it's not like that.

I keep thinking of this like people who argue that it's impossible to have a telephone without wires that fits in your pocket. And meanwhile, we will all keep using our cell phones and rolling our eyes.
Ah, that brings back memories of arguing with green Sharpie folks on rec.audio backintheday.

I love your cell phone example I think I will start using that from on for those Idiots

Thank you for this post. We are getting ready to test drive the Y on Saturday. We are retired and chose Tesla BC of their charging infrastructure. Any advise on options, charging connectors etc. greatly appreciated. TIA
I have a Y with 7000 miles and one round trip from Joplin Mo to Twain Harte California. Absolutely so wonderful of a car we gave up using airlines and are headed to Bishop Calif on Monday. I purchased the 450 adapter from the Tesla store thus you can use at most campgrounds and homes that have a 50 amp 220 volt outlet like most electric ovens have. I also use the ABRP app to plan and execute my trips and have yet to need the adapter. At my sisters house we used the 15 amp adapter that comes with your car, it's slow but worked well in our case. I have yet to install a high output charger in my house because we longer commute and 90% of our trips are short. I also added the protective vinyl screen for the front, the under seat compartments, and today I'm having ceramic tinting on the roof. My biggest mistake was waiting 3000 miles to install 'bra' over some rock chips

I completed my first road trip last weekend in my MYLR. 809 miles roundtrip from Pittsburgh PA to Lexington KY. A long single-day experience that left me ultra satisfied with the choice to buy a Tesla. I did the trip solo, as my wife didnt want to burn her day driving to Kentucky to pick up a set of Tesla 19" Apollo rims for my winter tires. I was SO impressed with autopilot on the trip. But even more impressive was the navigation accuracy and Supercharger infrastructure. The nav app built into the car was within 1% of the actual remaining charge when I pulled into each Supercharger. Since this was my first road trip, I really wasnt trusting what the app was saying with regard to what I would have left when getting to the next stop, so I tended to overstay my charging sessions which ended up costing me an extra hour for no reason. Next trip, I will be more trusting of the nav app to tell me when to move on. Long distance travel via Tesla is the way to go!