Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 19'' ProContact RX factory tire in Tahoe: will it be OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, newbie here waiting for Model Y delivery next month with 19’’ Gemini Wheels. I live in San Jose, CA so even 2WD meets 95% of my needs, with only one exception: I go to Tahoe for snowboarding sometimes during the winter.

Thanks to this forum, I read several posts about people's review about their MY's performance in snow with factory tires, overall I am pretty concerned after reading those posts. But if I stay on the paved road (plowed but may still be covered with some snow in the evening or early morning) and drive carefully (slow speed, keep long follow distance), will the factory 19'' ProContact RX All Season tire be OK? Changing tire (to better all season tires like Cross Climate 2 or snow tires) and discarding/storing the existing ones is something I don't prefer considering 95% of the usage will be on warm and dry roads.

Another option is to put on snow chains if traction is too bad, but I had some bad experience putting on snow chains when it was raining + freezing outside several years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Don't do it! Snow/ice can be unpredictable in the Tahoe area. What happens is oftentimes you'll get warm days, but overnight it gets very cold. The oils in the road mix with the moisture and you get frozen black ice. If you're driving through a shaded area the black ice may not be melted. The result may be a scary patch of road that sends your vehicle across the road. If you're not lucky, you may hit something or worse.

I would say get some 3PMSF rated tires at the minimum. The typical summer tires that come with the Tesla (I'm not even sure they're rated as all seasons), are going to be like hockey pucks in the cold. A 3PMSF tires will stay pliable and function when temps dip below 35°.

Also if you head up on anything less than 3PMSF tires, CalTrans may not let you through anyway. I've driven Hwy 50 and I-80 many many times up to Tahoe. Respect mother nature!

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
The Vredestein Quatrac Pro All Season tire would be a good choice as a replacement tire. I have the 19" Continental Procontact RX tires and will replace them with the Quatrac Pro when I need to buy tires. (I don't drive my Model Y with the OE tires in the snow. It is just not worth the risk of having an accident.) The only tire with a lower score than the Procontact when driving in winter snow, ice conditions might be the Michelin EnergySaver AS tire (a very good LRR tire but not safe on snow.)

No need to get dedicated winter tries if you are driving in the snow occasionally. Winter tires are not safe in warm weather because they wear out VERY fast. It's also a hassle to swap out tires just for an occasional trip. All-season tires are really 3-season tires because they turn to ice pucks once the temperature drops below 40 degrees. All-weather tires are like winter tires and do not turn into ice-pucks when the temperature drops below 40 degrees. They are not good as dedicated winter tires but I would say it's 80% there. They can also be driven year round. I live in LA and go to Big Bear for skiing. I am planning replace the OEM tires with Toyo Celsius all-weather tires this winter. https://simpletire.com/brands/toyo-tires/celsius#curationPos=none&curationSeq=none&curationSource=none&itemId=156406&mpn=129130&pageSource=PDP&productPos=none&region=r9&tireSize=255-45r19

If there is snow / ice over the passes or at your destination, the model Y need a true winter tire to feel and be safe. I drive Michelin X Ice, Chill Mode. Also need learn to not cause regen breaking as that makes the rear end wiggle. The OEM tires are not good in snow, at all
If I switch to winter tires, my daily communte and most of the car use may become a problem, as winter tires will wear fast if the temperature is not low, and produce more noise, is that true? Also curious how much impact the winter tires will have on the range? Currently I am mostly looking for good all-season tires like Cross Climate 2, hopefully the range will not drop too much.

Reactions: DrGriz
Compare the ice/snow ratings of the Continental Contact Pro Rx (all-season) vs the Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 (all weather) vs the Michelin Cross Climate2 (3PMSF).

TireRack maintains a big database based on their consumer surveys. Look at the HUGE difference between the 3PMSF Cross Contact2 vs the other two tires!

Continental ProContac RX

Continental Extreme Contact DWS06

Michelin Cross Climate 2
Thanks, if I take delivery I will consider to change all 4 tires to the 3PMSF rated all-season tires. Do you know how much range loss I should expect with those kind of tires?

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro All Season tire would be a good choice as a replacement tire. I have the 19" Continental Procontact RX tires and will replace them with the Quatrac Pro when I need to buy tires. (I don't drive my Model Y with the OE tires in the snow. It is just not worth the risk of having an accident.) The only tire with a lower score than the Procontact when driving in winter snow, ice conditions might be the Michelin EnergySaver AS tire (a very good LRR tire but not safe on snow.)
lol, just took a look, the other car I have in my family is with the Michelin EnergySaver AS tire you mentioned. Last year when I rented 4Runner to go to tahoe, one model 3 in front of me in the traffic was slipping all the time (not severe enough to lose control, but the tail swing was pretty obvious when it needed to accelerate or decelerate)

No need to get dedicated winter tries if you are driving in the snow occasionally. Winter tires are not safe in warm weather because they wear out VERY fast. It's also a hassle to swap out tires just for an occasional trip. All-season tires are really 3-season tires because they turn to ice pucks once the temperature drops below 40 degrees. All-weather tires are like winter tires and do not turn into ice-pucks when the temperature drops below 40 degrees. They are not good as dedicated winter tires but I would say it's 80% there. They can also be driven year round. I live in LA and go to Big Bear for skiing. I am planning replace the OEM tires with Toyo Celsius all-weather tires this winter. https://simpletire.com/brands/toyo-tires/celsius#curationPos=none&curationSeq=none&curationSource=none&itemId=156406&mpn=129130&pageSource=PDP&productPos=none&region=r9&tireSize=255-45r19
sigh.. I hoped Tesla can give an option to choose the OEM tire, so that I don't need to worry about how to deal with the factory tires sitting in the garage. Do you worry about the range loss when switching to all-weather tires? Climbing a hill for skiing is exactly when we need range the most (and for heat-pumps).

sigh.. I hoped Tesla can give an option to choose the OEM tire, so that I don't need to worry about how to deal with the factory tires sitting in the garage. Do you worry about the range loss when switching to all-weather tires? Climbing a hill for skiing is exactly when we need range the most (and for heat-pumps).
What goes up usually must come down. When you climb a hill your energy consumption will skyrocket. On the way down the hill regenerative braking can recover ~70% of the energy used to drive the Tesla Model Y up the hill.

If you are driving occasionall
I live in San Jose and have driven to Tahoe many times to Ski. I always carried chains (always recommended when you travel to the mountains in winter) . Nowadays you also get AutoSocks as a quick option in case chain becomes mandatory on the highway.These are options if you do not want to change to winter tires, but in heavy snow in Tahoe , even winter tires may not help and you will need chains as the the slope/ gradient reduces contact traction dramatically. However, It is your car and you are driving so please choose the option that makes you comfortable

Reactions: dgaultiere
If you are driving occasionall

I live in San Jose and have driven to Tahoe many times to Ski. I always carried chains (always recommended when you travel to the mountains in winter) . Nowadays you also get AutoSocks as a quick option in case chain becomes mandatory on the highway.These are options if you do not want to change to winter tires, but in heavy snow in Tahoe , even winter tires may not help and you will need chains as the the slope/ gradient reduces contact traction dramatically. However, It is your car and you are driving so please choose the option that makes you comfortable
thanks for the data points, did you change the OEM tires to 3PMSF certified tires before going to Tahoe? or only with the OEM tires?

No meaningful or practical range impact with Michelin X-Ice or a Y and 3 respectively. OEM tires on 19” Gemini are horrible and loud so the Michelins even ride nicer. Get the summers/winters tires on separate rims and it’s a 30 min easy swap. If you’re talking about 1 single trip id carry chains and avoid driving if snowing, if you drive frequently true winter tires is the better way to go!

No meaningful or practical range impact with Michelin X-Ice or a Y and 3 respectively. OEM tires on 19” Gemini are horrible and loud so the Michelins even ride nicer. Get the summers/winters tires on separate rims and it’s a 30 min easy swap. If you’re talking about 1 single trip id carry chains and avoid driving if snowing, if you drive frequently true winter tires is the better way to go!
Do you have experience to support this statement? The consensus, as I read various threads here, is the efficiency loss changing from the LRR OEM ContiProContacts is anywhere from 5-10%.

Just curious.

Do you have experience to support this statement? The consensus, as I read various threads here, is the efficiency loss changing from the LRR OEM ContiProContacts is anywhere from 5-10%.

Just curious.
Yes. I commute between reno and Bay Area weekly and own both a M3 and MY, there is no practical difference and my charging stops are the exact same. On the ride quality, the MYLR 19” stock tires are some of the worst I ever drove (tossed them after 20k miles)

I reset my odometer B when I tossed on the winters a week back. 700 miles plus and no difference in energy used. Driving style, load, etc likely has bigger impact. If you worry about range when talking essentials like safe winter traction - it’s focus on wrong things. At most 2%-5%, but impossible to measure as pace, use of cruise control etc matters more. In any case, you need winter tires for safe driving up here and range as criteria for winter tire choice doesn't have any practical impact and should not be the key consideration. Same charging stops

Last edited: