Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea I was checking out the Induction wheels when I picked up my Y today. 255 on 9.5 has a bit of a stretch which Is the look I prefer. I think 9” would have been perfect. 8.5” just looks beefy for my taste. I’m wondering if I go with 245/40/20 on 8.5 will give me the same look as the Induction with 255/40/20 on 20x9.5.

245/40/20 will not work because there are no tires in that size that meet the 101 XL load rating of the 20" wheel equipped model Y. What I mean by that, is you're unlikely to find a tire shop to mount them. For what its worth, the 255/40 on 8.5" wide wheel like my car, actually does look good in person. To me, the stretched look of the inductions doesn't look right unless you had spacers and the car was lowered. With the stock ride height and wheel offset, the 8.5" wheel looks quite good.

Sidenote - and I may start a whole thread about this. Discount Tire (a company I actually love) would not even mount these new wheels on my car, because my model Y came with the gemini wheels. The 255/45/19 tires which come on the model Y are a 104 load rating, because well... thats how tires that size come... So when I came with my 20" 255/40/20 which are a 101 XL load rating - which perfectly matches tesla's spec if you get the car with induction wheels.... they wouldn't put them on the car. I've escalated this whole issue to corporate at discount tire who will eventually check with tesla and realize I"m right, but what an absurd run around. Right now, its as if discount tire treats the model y long range as two different models. Gemini version, and induction version

If you didn't understand any of that, just know that if you're getting 20" tires of any size, they need to have a 101 XL load rating minimum.

245/40/20 will not work because there are no tires in that size that meet the 101 XL load rating of the 20" wheel equipped model Y. What I mean by that, is you're unlikely to find a tire shop to mount them. For what its worth, the 255/40 on 8.5" wide wheel like my car, actually does look good in person. To me, the stretched look of the inductions doesn't look right unless you had spacers and the car was lowered. With the stock ride height and wheel offset, the 8.5" wheel looks quite good.

Sidenote - and I may start a whole thread about this. Discount Tire (a company I actually love) would not even mount these new wheels on my car, because my model Y came with the gemini wheels. The 255/45/19 tires which come on the model Y are a 104 load rating, because well... thats how tires that size come... So when I came with my 20" 255/40/20 which are a 101 XL load rating - which perfectly matches tesla's spec if you get the car with induction wheels.... they wouldn't put them on the car. I've escalated this whole issue to corporate at discount tire who will eventually check with tesla and realize I"m right, but what an absurd run around. Right now, its as if discount tire treats the model y long range as two different models. Gemini version, and induction version

If you didn't understand any of that, just know that if you're getting 20" tires of any size, they need to have a 101 XL load rating minimum.

Gotcha... Can you post pictures of your car down the side from front to rear? I want to see how your wheels are sitting along the fender. If it's ticking out or not.

A couple people don't like the color setup, but it is almost exactly what I was looking for. I went from the 21" Uberturbines to these 19" TSW's. My priority was as much range as possible with me always flooring it. Now I just need to find out how to trade my new Uberturbines for something else for the car

Attachments

• IMG-20201120-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20201120-WA0002.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 337
A couple people don't like the color setup, but it is almost exactly what I was looking for. I went from the 21" Uberturbines to these 19" TSW's. My priority was as much range as possible with me always flooring it. Now I just need to find out how to trade my new Uberturbines for something else for the car

Isn't the stock Gemini the best for range? Couple of members here have "blacken" the cover, actually look pretty nice.

So my R241's just arrived from AftermarketEV and even though the website says the bore is 64.1 mm they sent me the 70.2 mm. How much of a problem is this? Do I need spacers? should I return them?

You don't need spacers but you need hub centric rings so you take 70.2 down to 64.1. For what its worth, most aftermarket wheels, you end up having to do this... thats a bad mistake on their part though. Up to you if you want to return them - you can get hub rings and you should be ok.

You don't need spacers but you need hub centric rings so you take 70.2 down to 64.1. For what its worth, most aftermarket wheels, you end up having to do this... thats a bad mistake on their part though. Up to you if you want to return them - you can get hub rings and you should be ok.

Thanks, they are sending me hub rings but I am still trying to weigh the pros and cons of using them vs returning and waiting for the correct wheels.

Thanks, they are sending me hub rings but I am still trying to weigh the pros and cons of using them vs returning and waiting for the correct wheels.

You probably won’t ever notice the difference.

If it were me, I’d keep the wrong wheels for $100 off the purchase price. It’d probably cost more than that to ship the wrong and right ones, so it’s a deal for them too.

Reactions: Sixth and 2101Guy
  • Love
Reactions: DoctorBenjamin
I know this has been referenced before in this thread but does anyone know definitively if the TSV design (20 or 19's) are as aerodynamically efficient as the 21" Uberturbines? I know it is a similar design. But I'm not sure if that is more cosmetic or if it is as functionally efficient as the 21's.
The reason I'm asking is because apparently Tesla did something amazing with the 21's where-in even though they are so flipping heavy they still get some amazing range that's comparable to aftermarket 19's that are not as aero-efficient.
Anyway so my point is if they are as aerodynamically efficient then I'm guessing the 20 and def 19 TSV's would be pretty much right in the same range as the 19 Gemini's with covers on. Right?

Thank you so much.