Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally combed through the entire thread from page 1 lol

So I'll be coming from 19 inch gemini's

Can I use the same tire for the 19 x 8.5, 35 offset, 64 bore wheels? or 40 offset?

And the specs are correct right?

And if I wanted 20 inches I'd simply have to go 20 x 8.5, 40 offset, 64 bore?

thanks! My first time buying aftermarket wheels haha

• Love
Reactions: DoctorBenjamin
Finally combed through the entire thread from page 1 lol

So I'll be coming from 19 inch gemini's

Can I use the same tire for the 19 x 8.5, 35 offset, 64 bore wheels? or 40 offset?

And the specs are correct right?

And if I wanted 20 inches I'd simply have to go 20 x 8.5, 40 offset, 64 bore?

thanks! My first time buying aftermarket wheels haha

There are a couple methods in regards to fitting wheels to your lugs. You either go with a wheel manufacturer that has the matching hub bore for Tesla. Vordenstein, Titan7 and Replika 241 to name a few have Teslas matching hub bore without any customizations (wheels in this category are referred to as hubcentric) 2nd method is to go to your local wheel shop dealer and have them order a custom offset and bore from the manufacturer on your chosen wheel. The last option, which is the most commonly used option is to use hubrings to downsize to tesla’s hub bore. Some users have problems with hubrings as they apparently experience vibrations at high speeds. Some have no problems at all.

Reactions: everydaychris
There are a couple methods in regards to fitting wheels to your lugs. You either go with a wheel manufacturer that has the matching hub bore for Tesla. Vordenstein, Titan7 and Replika 241 to name a few have Teslas matching hub bore without any customizations (wheels in this category are referred to as hubcentric) 2nd method is to go to your local wheel shop dealer and have them order a custom offset and bore from the manufacturer on your chosen wheel. The last option, which is the most commonly used option is to use hubrings to downsize to tesla’s hub bore. Some users have problems with hubrings as they apparently experience vibrations at high speeds. Some have no problems at all.
ty

3000mi on 20in wheels and 1000mi on 19 in wheels. PUP Y. Here are my numbers
View attachment 618661 View attachment 618662
This is good stuff. I've been looking for info on the range difference between the 19" Gemini wheels and the 20" Inductions. You don't say whether those are your wheels, but I assume that the small difference in range would be similar. Now if I can just see what the range difference is with 19" Geminis with and without the wheelcovers....

This is good stuff. I've been looking for info on the range difference between the 19" Gemini wheels and the 20" Inductions. You don't say whether those are your wheels, but I assume that the small difference in range would be similar. Now if I can just see what the range difference is with 19" Geminis with and without the wheelcovers....
I used two aftermarket forged wheels which are probably not the most efficient designs:
19s w/snow tires
82E39782-5A82-4FA8-BE75-E085E646759D.jpeg
20s
E4FBBC8C-814E-4389-8E30-28767002B743.jpeg

Thank you for this thread, it really helped me on which wheels I've decided on. I have a MY with PUP, I needed to get All Season Tires being in New York but as you guys already know 21' Uberturbines no choice of tires. I ended up ordering these 19' TSportsline TSV Wheel - Flow Forged with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 All Season (on October 27, 2020) I received them yesterday, installed without issues. They even come with Tesla TPMS bluetooth sensors installed. (I confirmed with them before ordering the set)

As TSportline states "Roadforce mounting & balancing and ships to your address ready to put on. No additional hardware required." I'd recommend them.

I've driven about 30 miles on these so far and I can already see the range increase difference. The ride is a lot more smoother and less road noise. The tires are grippy, 0-60 still snappy as usual, feels faster.

I charged my car today and I usually charged to 85%. The 21' Uberturbines gave me 235 miles of range and with 19' TSV Wheel - Flow Forged, I'm at 258 miles of range.

(Sorry didn't wash car before picture)

tempImageLcM9ki.png

Thank you for this thread, it really helped me on which wheels I've decided on. I have a MY with PUP, I needed to get All Season Tires being in New York but as you guys already know 21' Uberturbines no choice of tires. I ended up ordering these 19' TSportsline TSV Wheel - Flow Forged with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 All Season (on October 27, 2020) I received them yesterday, installed without issues. They even come with Tesla TPMS bluetooth sensors installed. (I confirmed with them before ordering the set)

As TSportline states "Roadforce mounting & balancing and ships to your address ready to put on. No additional hardware required." I'd recommend them.

I've driven about 30 miles on these so far and I can already see the range increase difference. The ride is a lot more smoother and less road noise. The tires are grippy, 0-60 still snappy as usual, feels faster.

I charged my car today and I usually charged to 85%. The 21' Uberturbines gave me 235 miles of range and with 19' TSV Wheel - Flow Forged, I'm at 258 miles of range.

View attachment 620627
I'm considering the same approach (with TSportline), can I ask why you chose 19" over 20"? Was it the less weight? Or you liked that all season tire better (doesn't seem to be available on 20"?)?

Love this. Will these rims also work on a LR to swap out 19” Geminis? Looks like same tire size, but their site says these rims “fit performance model Y” so I’m wondering if there’s a difference. Thanks!

View attachment 620627

Thanks! We are super-happy with how this set turned out. The MY feels quicker on these vs. the 21" Ubers but I forgot to get actual weights at the time of installation.

These are the Replika R241 20" x 8.5" (5x114.3mm, +35, 64.1mm) -- wanted thinner wheel to get more tire-presence since the main driver is somehow attracted to curbs (F to the original passenger-side Uberturbines; gotta see if that can be repaired.)

Tires are Vredstein Quatrac Pro 255/40R20 All-Weather tires, rated 3-Peak-Mountain-Snowflake so in my area they count as 'traction-devices' for visiting the mountain this coming season.

How are the tires after a few months? I'll probably be swapping out the ProContact RXs on the 19in wheels for these (or the CrossClimate SUV) and was wondering how the noise and efficiency is.