Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another question, you went with 19”x8.5” and no concerns with load rating? I have the same exact rims coming as you for my Model Y.
I did have some concern, but the total load rating (four times the single wheel rating) is way higher than the max vehicle weight. Probably more relevant, e.g. for 20" wheels the gross axle weight rating is 1500 kg, the 19*8.5 wheels have 770 kg (so 1540 kg per axle). I think it's fine as long as you do not have a tow hook.

Sorry, used kg as I understand metric units better :)

I did have some concern, but the total load rating (four times the single wheel rating) is way higher than the max vehicle weight. Probably more relevant, e.g. for 20" wheels the gross axle weight rating is 1500 kg, the 19*8.5 wheels have 770 kg (so 1540 kg per axle). I think it's fine as long as you do not have a tow hook.

Sorry, used kg as I understand metric units better :)
Thanks. I won’t ever tow with my vehicle

Is it seriously only a 1 mi difference between the 2 sizes? That's impossible. Anyone else have real life data??

Can’t say much about this since the ambient temperatures were likely very different.

Agreed. I don't consider that a true representation of 20" vs 19" efficiency. The 19s as Winter tires indicate colder climate. If anything, it suggests a significant loss of efficiency with 20s if all they can do is match a set of cold-weather 19s. Plus, tires in the 20" size are predominantly high- or ultra-high performance tires and, while the extra grip and stickiness is great for handling, it will lead to higher energy use. The 20s definitely look better than 19s but, from experience with my Model S, I lost 12.5% range (over 35 miles) going from 19s to 21s. I would expect an LR with Induction wheels and higher performance tires to lose 20 miles of range compared to a Y LR with Geminis. A Y Performance with 21s is rated 46 miles less in range than a Y LR with 19s, so it is entirely reasonable that a Y LR with Induction wheels and tires will lose approximately half that.

I actually went ahead with 255/50/19 tires with Replika R241 rims.

They do fit, but they're a tad bit longer than stock tires.
Ah. Then mine should fit since its a small diameter than yours. I am putting these on the stock model 3 20x8.5 rims but going on a Y. Wonder how your ride quality is with that taller wall. Must be nice and soft :)
image.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 1.35.17 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Arctic_White
Ah. Then mine should fit since its a small diameter than yours. I am putting these on the stock model 3 20x8.5 rims but going on a Y. Wonder how your ride quality is with that taller wall. Must be nice and soft :)
View attachment 665196

View attachment 665195

So you're going a bit smaller, I take it?

Ride quality with the 255/50/19 is surprisingly very similar to the 275/35/21. They even perform as well as the stock tires.

Biggest difference is that i am no longer worries about messing up my rims by going over potholes. LOL.

With stock rims, 255/45/20 would fit according to my tire shop.

So you should be good to go!

What tires are you planning on buying?
I'm planning on getting Continental DWS-06 Plus. I have them on most all my cars. Been impressed with them. I've run thru multiple sets of the non plus version for the last 10 years. Ive also ran the pilot sport AS and AS3+ and been disappointed in them, so will stick with the DWS-06 Plus instead of the Pilot Sport AS4.

I'm planning on getting Continental DWS-06 Plus. I have them on most all my cars. Been impressed with them. I've run thru multiple sets of the non plus version for the last 10 years. Ive also ran the pilot sport AS and AS3+ and been disappointed in them, so will stick with the DWS-06 Plus instead of the Pilot Sport AS4.
AS4 runs out too fast. 👎

Don't have the OEM wheels anymore - replaced them with TSportline 20" wheels immediately after purchase. Moving over to 19" as I'm not too happy with the 10" wide wheels causing curb rash very easily, and the ride quality will hopefully improve a bit as well with 19" (and they are quite a bit lighter). In hindsight should have kept the Geminis :)

BTW: planning to sell the TSportline TST wheels after changing (probably for around $1300 including TPMS and Michelin PS A/S3+ tires).
Did you end up swapping for the 19s? And is the ride better? I live in SD too, and wondering how the 19s are treating you as we’ll be driving similar roads. Thanks!

Did you end up swapping for the 19s? And is the ride better? I live in SD too, and wondering how the 19s are treating you as we’ll be driving similar roads. Thanks!
Yes, now have the 8.5" wide Replika R241s (19") with Vredestein Quattrac Pros in OEM size. Ride quality is significantly improved. Hard to tell how much of the difference is due to changing to 19", to lighter wheels, and to more comfortable tires though.

BTW: energy consumption is also around 5-8% improved. I'm thinking that is mostly because of the tires.

Yes, now have the 8.5" wide Replika R241s (19") with Vredestein Quattrac Pros in OEM size. Ride quality is significantly improved. Hard to tell how much of the difference is due to changing to 19", to lighter wheels, and to more comfortable tires though.

BTW: energy consumption is also around 5-8% improved. I'm thinking that is mostly because of the tires.
That’s great to hear. Thanks for the update! Definitely helps me make my decision.

Curious, How did you measure the improvement in energy efficiency?
- from what to what?
- do you think 19" plus light tires made that much more difference?

I have 20" induction wheels with Quattrac Pros , I love the tires and wouldn't go back on them.. but unscientific think I lost 3-5% efficiency with them. Normal driving I'm at 280 wh/mi..

Curious, How did you measure the improvement in energy efficiency?
- from what to what?
- do you think 19" plus light tires made that much more difference?

I have 20" induction wheels with Quattrac Pros , I love the tires and wouldn't go back on them.. but unscientific think I lost 3-5% efficiency with them. Normal driving I'm at 280 wh/mi..
Long-term (4K miles or so) I had an average of around 305 on the TSportline/PS A/S3+. 600 miles with the new wheels and tires miles around 290. I think the rolling resistance of the tires made most of the difference, weight is probably a marginal factor. As well, I noticed the efficiency on new tires improved after driving around 1K miles, so it could get a bit better still.

Do you mean the 3-5% loss is from the 20" OEM to the Quattrac Pros (same Induction wheels)?

I'm guessing any tire with better traction, is going to give you worse efficiency because extra traction probably translates to increased friction/resistance. If I were to guess why the other person got better efficiency, it's because a lighter wheel will give you less rotational mass, which is a big deal, as rotational mass takes much more energy to accelerate than non-rotational mass.