Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model Y 19" vs 20" Decision Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some more considerations, I changed my direction to the 19x9.5 with 45 offset r241’s.
I’m personally okay with going with the lower load rating on the 8.5” for the MYP and probably will never tow with 3 or more passengers to get anywhere near the limits.

If in the unfortunate event that some damage or an accident occurs that’s somehow related to the tire/wheel, I want to avoid any denial in coverage in warranty or insurance. However likely or unlikely, I don’t want to hear “well you were using the wrong spec wheels so we can’t do anything for ya, sorry and good luck.”

Better to deal with some tire stretch and possible curb rashes.

After some more considerations, I changed my direction to the 19x9.5 with 45 offset r241’s.
I’m personally okay with going with the lower load rating on the 8.5” for the MYP and probably will never tow with 3 or more passengers to get anywhere near the limits.

If in the unfortunate event that some damage or an accident occurs that’s somehow related to the tire/wheel, I want to avoid any denial in coverage in warranty or insurance. However likely or unlikely, I don’t want to hear “well you were using the wrong spec wheels so we can’t do anything for ya, sorry and good luck.”

I came to the same. I kept thinking well if I had a load and hit a train track or a pot hole or somthing, and cracked the rim then what?

Last edited:
If your reasoning for going with 8.5" is to avoid curb rash, it won't help anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it.. On a different car, I have 19x8.5", with a 245 tire on it, and the tire even has a "rim guard" strip going all the way around it... Still didn't help when the wife nailed a curb... There's a lot of torque at the wheel at point of impact... The tire will just deform, and expose the shiny wheel to the hard curb, lol...

This is what I’d be afraid of you have people in there and boom maybe a cracked rim. Not with it imo

Attachments

• 1992D076-863F-4B6D-89DE-244E8FABB796.jpeg
    1992D076-863F-4B6D-89DE-244E8FABB796.jpeg
    849.9 KB · Views: 252
Has anyone done 275/40/20s on all 4? I see tirerack and tsportline offer this as an optional tire size on 20”.

I am running the TSS 20 with 275/40/20 all around. They are great no issues. Much better than the staggered 21 UT setup.

If your reasoning for going with 8.5" is to avoid curb rash, it won't help anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it.. On a different car, I have 19x8.5", with a 245 tire on it, and the tire even has a "rim guard" strip going all the way around it... Still didn't help when the wife nailed a curb... There's a lot of torque at the wheel at point of impact... The tire will just deform, and expose the shiny wheel to the hard curb, lol...
That was one of the reasons for initially wanting the 8.5” and I totally agree that no matter what curbing isn’t 100% avoidable.
Since I have other drivers in the household who are not as careful, I was looking for as much “protection” as possible.

The 8.5s from TSSportline do meet MY weight requirements
We were referr the R241 19x8.5, which doesn’t meet the rear GAWR for MYP. I believe all the TSS and Martian wheels meet it though.

Has anyone had an issue with warranty claims going with 19x8.5? If that’s the case seems like you could have the issue with any after market rims.

I wasn’t implying that all aftermarket rims would void any warranty, just wheels that doesn’t meet all of the manufacturer wheel specs

We were referr the R241 19x8.5, which doesn’t meet the rear GAWR for MYP. I believe all the TSS and Martian wheels meet it though.

I wasn’t implying that all aftermarket rims would void any warranty, just wheels that doesn’t meet all of the manufacturer wheel specs
Even if the wheels didn't meet OEM weight specs, I don't think it can void any warranty, other than for the wheel itself... Unless the wheel was altering the suspension geometry, it's doubtful that the wheel could contribute in any way to damage of any other part of the car.

Narrower rim and narrower tire of course will reduce tire protection of curbs. Keeping the tire the same 255 width, you'll have more protection from curbs with 8.5" wide vs 9.5" wide.

Nothing will save you from doing something incredibly dumb, but...

Even if the wheels didn't meet OEM weight specs, I don't think it can void any warranty, other than for the wheel itself... Unless the wheel was altering the suspension geometry, it's doubtful that the wheel could contribute in any way to damage of any other part of the car.
I 99% agree with you on that thought but dealings with ins or warranty claims and their default mode of trying to weasel out of it, I’d rather be in the clear so to reduce as much loop holes or asterisks they can bring up. Maybe save me some major headaches down the line.