Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2.0 - Wish List for Giga Austin Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to order a Model Y Long Range for my Wife but have a "Wish List" for Austin Production:

1. Structural 4680 battery pack with Giga Casting Front and Rear.

2. Black Head Liner

3. Hidden Cup holders in console like refreshed Model S

4. Yoke Steering wheel option with no Stalks

5. 2nd dash display like the refreshed Model S

6. Air Suspension

Item 1 has to happen for me to order.

Items 2 thru 5 would make the Y appear like a true luxury car and keep pace with the new modern Tesla look in the refreshed S and X.

Item 6 would be the icing on the cake but if I could get Items 1 thru 5 the BUY button is pressed right away.

I think sales would go through the roof with these changes.

You want to order a car for your wife but you won't until the car has the options you want? If the price increased 5 - 7k would you still consider the car?

Sounds like you should just order an X
I would pay for the options for sure...... changing a headliner from light grey to black is not a big deal price wise and no stalks has to be cheaper to produce.

4680 is the future and is suppose to be more economic and longer range so this will be standard..... the hidden cup holders is again no big deal price wise.

The yoke wheel and 2nd display just finish off the car with a ultra modern look and way ahead of other brands.

The air suspension is more expensive and should carry a higher cost without a doubt but I could live without.

As far as the X goes I think the refreshed interior is perfect however the gull wing doors are a non-starter..... major problem.

Cheers

I understand that production of Model Y out of Freemont is selling well but Tesla is entering a whole new situation with the added capacity of Austin.

Tesla is going to have a huge amount of new capacity from Austin so they will need to vastly increase their sales to fill up this additional capacity and there will be other EVs entering the with lots of new choices over the next 24 months.

Once Tesla goes to the structural 4680 Battery pack along with the Giga Casting front and rear they will have a fundamentally superior vehicle to the Model Y currently produced in Freemont..... this is a good thing not a bad thing.

The Austin version will have better range and battery life, more rigidity, the fit and finish of doors and panels will have more uniform tolerances and the paint will probably be better as a result of state of the art equipment.

However from a marketing perspective they will need to deal with this issue.... normally a superior product carries a higher price tag.

Just with these changes the Austin Model Y will truly be a vastly superior car even without my other items on my wish list.

Most of the improvements noted above will not be apparent to the casual observer however a black headliner, hidden cup holders, yoke wheel with no stalks and a 2nd dash display would immediately differentiate the Austin Model Y from the Freemont Model Y to anyone that looks inside and they will know that they are buying the latest and best EV technology.

Until Tesla converts all Model Y to the 4680 with two castings they will have two different cars to sell..... no other way around it.

Will be fun to see how Tesla intends to address this difference as Austin production enters the market.

I understand that production of Model Y out of Freemont is selling well but Tesla is entering a whole new situation with the added capacity of Austin.

Tesla is going to have a huge amount of new capacity from Austin so they will need to vastly increase their sales to fill up this additional capacity and there will be other EVs entering the with lots of new choices over the next 24 months.

Once Tesla goes to the structural 4680 Battery pack along with the Giga Casting front and rear they will have a fundamentally superior vehicle to the Model Y currently produced in Freemont..... this is a good thing not a bad thing.

The Austin version will have better range and battery life, more rigidity, the fit and finish of doors and panels will have more uniform tolerances and the paint will probably be better as a result of state of the art equipment.

However from a marketing perspective they will need to deal with this issue.... normally a superior product carries a higher price tag.

Just with these changes the Austin Model Y will truly be a vastly superior car even without my other items on my wish list.

Most of the improvements noted above will not be apparent to the casual observer however a black headliner, hidden cup holders, yoke wheel with no stalks and a 2nd dash display would immediately differentiate the Austin Model Y from the Freemont Model Y to anyone that looks inside and they will know that they are buying the latest and best EV technology.

Until Tesla converts all Model Y to the 4680 with two castings they will have two different cars to sell..... no other way around it.

Will be fun to see how Tesla intends to address this difference as Austin production enters the market.
It will all become apparent. Obviously people would want the latest and greatest. There are definitely a few ways for Tesla to deal with this. Have one version LR made in Fremont and the Performance made in Austin or vice versa. There can be a shutdown of MY production in Fremont as they complete the transition to Austin. They could do what Apple does when they release a new iPhone. Lower the price of the old version and keep the new one the same price as the original one. We don’t know until we know but Tesla must have a plan because people are going to want to know what they’re buying, where it’s made and what the benefits are of those changes. I am taking a wait and see attitude and have placed a deposit down on a new 2021-22 MY with a December EDD. I have a mid 2020 MY Long Range. If there are enough changes to the 2021 (specifically the 4680 structural battery with potentially longer range and one piece rear and front casting) and I can sell my 2020 for a decent amount I might make the swap. I also live in the NE United States and would really love the heated steering wheel and auto dimming mirrors, along with the double paned windows and new Center console But those things alone aren’t enough for me. My MY is paid off. If it doesn’t happen I am out $100 which isn’t the end of the world.